Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know so you tell me

Preferably one I can get from an actual store as opposed to online, if that's possible. Pics and descriptions would be appreciated.

thanks.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
I have a 4.5" Greyhound Fine/Medium Comb. I love that size because it is so much easier to use on small dogs.

I also have a 7.5" comb but I've only used that one a couple of times. It is just to big to easy use on the girls (at least for me). I also have a slicker brush and pin brush. But most of the time I use the 4.5" comb.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Originally posted by Violet's Mom@Sep 21 2005, 09:47 AM

Preferably one I can get from an actual store as opposed to online, if that's possible. Pics and descriptions would be appreciated.

thanks.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=101690
[/QUOTE]

Alot of people here say that these are the best combs and brushes, I haven't bought any yet myself. I am planning on buying a couple of the combs and one of the brushes soon though

http://www.chrissystems.com/combs.htm

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Originally posted by Littlemans Mom+Sep 21 2005, 10:56 AM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Violet's Mom
@Sep 21 2005, 09:47 AM

thanks.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=101690

Alot of people here say that these are the best combs and brushes, I haven't bought any yet myself. I am planning on buying a couple of the combs and one of the brushes soon though

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=101715
[/B][/QUOTE]

Here is a post about the brushes and if you scroll down they talk about the combs and which ones to use on a Maltese

http://spoiledmaltese.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=5758

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
I'd probably start with a basic greyhound comb like the one Kristi posted. You can always upgrade to a more expensive comb later on, although unless you plan on keeping him in a full coat, you may not need it.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Originally posted by LadysMom@Sep 21 2005, 12:04 PM
I'd probably start with a basic greyhound comb like the one Kristi posted. You can always upgrade to a more expensive comb later on, although unless you plan on keeping him in a full coat, you may not need it.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=101746
[/QUOTE]

What is the difference between a greyhound comb and a buttercomb?

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
I think the Buttercomb is the name trademarked by Chris Christensen for a fancy version of the original greyhound comb. The regular, much less expensive greyhound combs are made of stainless steel, I believe. The Buttercomb is made of solid brass and nickel plated.

A#1 All Systems makes a very similiar comb to the Buttercomb that I will probably buy eventually. It has medium/coarse teeth which I think might work better for me than the fine/medium combination in the Buttercombs. That's what the greyhound comb I have now is and it works great on Lady's thicker, more cottony coat.

And it's $5 cheaper, too!

http://www.carealotpets.com/item-detail/?ItemID=4696B

·
Registered
35 Posts
If you don't want to buy on line - is a catalog OK? http://www.cherrybrook.com has sends out several a year AND you can also find them at most big shows here in the northeast. They carry the full linke of Chris Christensens. They are pricey though, so don't expect any bargains. For cheaper stuff, go to http://www.petedge.com. They also carry a big line of grooming products and have a catalog, but have less of the "high end" stuff. Unfortunatly, Petco, Petsmart and Petland (the latter I never buy from for ethical reasons), rarely carry GOOD grooming equipment.

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Petedge is great for someone just starting out. The carry a huge selection of products from great companies like Pet Silk, All Systems, etc. Get them to send you a catalogue and start a wish list!

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
I have the small buttercomb and love it. I use it one their faces. Be careful though. I have a habit of laying things down and I couldn't find it. I missed having it so much that I ordered another one. Two days after I received it I found the first one under the couch cushion! I now keep one in the car to tidy up their faces before we go in a store or somewhere.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Originally posted by kab@Sep 21 2005, 01:33 PM
I have the small buttercomb and love it.  I use it one their faces.  Be careful though.  I have a habit of laying things down and I couldn't find it.  I missed having it so much that I ordered another one.  Two days after I received it I found the first one under the couch cushion!  I now keep one in the car to tidy up their faces before we go in a store or somewhere.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=101780
[/QUOTE]
I'm in love with my small buttercomb too! It is the best comb to get out matts and eye crusties. It's the best $24 I've spent on anything for the dogs.

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Originally posted by LadysMom@Sep 21 2005, 02:48 PM
When you say "small buttercomb", which one do you mean?

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=101783
[/QUOTE]
It is the 4 1/2 inch Chris Christensen one. I have bought others the same size but the quality of this one is awesome. It really cleans up their faces. It is well worth the money. I got mine from Cherrybrook magazine.

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Originally posted by kab+Sep 21 2005, 03:17 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-LadysMom
@Sep 21 2005, 02:48 PM
When you say "small buttercomb", which one do you mean?

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=101783
It is the 4 1/2 inch Chris Christensen one. I have bought others the same size but the quality of this one is awesome. It really cleans up their faces. It is well worth the money. I got mine from Cherrybrook magazine.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=101796
[/B][/QUOTE]
It is #006.

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Gotcha! So it has both coarse & fine teeth? I was confused because it says that one is 5 inches long. The 4&1/2 inch combs come in either coarse or fine, not a combination.

I like the #006, too. Someday.....

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
I have the CC Buttercomb and love it! I have purchased several other combs that went as expensive...wished I would have saved my money and just bought the good comb.

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Originally posted by LadysMom@Sep 21 2005, 03:24 PM
Gotcha! So it has both coarse & fine teeth? I was confused because it says that one is 5 inches long. The 4&1/2 inch combs come in either coarse or fine, not a combination.

I like the #006, too. Someday.....
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=101801
[/QUOTE]

I love it because of the 24 teeth on one end. It really gets the crusties around their eyes.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So you all only comb your malt's faces...? No brush rite? I have the #1 all systems brushes (triangle and the soft one JMM recommends) and I want to make sure.

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Originally posted by Violet's Mom@Sep 23 2005, 09:46 AM
So you all only comb your malt's faces...?  No brush rite?  I have the #1 all systems brushes (triangle and the soft one JMM recommends) and I want to make sure.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=102467
[/QUOTE]
I have the triangle brush also, but my dogs don't like me to use it. I use the small comb daily. It is one of those things I couldn't live without!

·
Registered
354 Posts
I use both a comb and pin brush (A-1 All systems) on Dolce's face. I use a eyelash comb (for humans) to get the goobers out of her eyes, but this thread has convinced me to get the buttercomb!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts