Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been shopping like crazy to get ready for Sophie. I know I wont be needing clippers for a while. I just wanted to be as prepared as I can. I just bought Andis clippers from Target. They were cheap, only $24. I'm just not sure if I should get a better pair or just keep these. I saw once that you may need 2 speeds. It does not say anything about that on the box. My sister said she likes Wahl, and her's were the same price. So which is better? If anyone has used either I would love to know. Thanks

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
I got the Andis pet set from Target last year (it has a grey plastic storage case). The one I got is only one speed which never caused a problem for me. I decided to get that set because of the price and I wasn't sure how much success I would have doing the grooming myself. I didn't want to dump a whole lot of $$ into clippers if I never use them. It's been about a year now and I use the clippers probably once a month and the last time I used it, it pooped out on me halfway through cutting...They haven't worked since. petedge Has a big selection and they do cost more, but I'm sure they will last longer. I haven't had a chance to look them through, but I would recommend a higher quality set.

·
Premium Member
1,959 Posts
Both Andis and Wahl are quality clippers. I use the Andis AND LOVE THEM!!! They are very high quality, stay cool and work well. For a small dog you really don't need two speeds. I have the large animal clippers and use them on my Old English so the dual speed comes in very handy. Just make sure you oil the clipper head every time you use it and use a cooling spray and you'll find that you don't have to have your blades sharpened anywhere near as often.

Of course...........hehehehe I'm thinking relative to clipping an Old English Sheepdog.....I haven't even tried to clip Ty yet....... I don't imagine that that amount or consistency of hair dulls the blade or heats the clipper ver much

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
Andis is my favorite brand. However, any of the cheapo versions you find in most stores are not going to be of the same quality as their more expensive counterparts. I would expect to pay around $100 for a good pair of clippers. I like Andis AG or AGC.

·
Registered
841 Posts
I have a question when you use the clippers what size comb do u use? if you want to leave lets say a 2 in length. my groomer if I understood her right only uses the clippers she doesn't put the comb part on ??
so I haven't let her trim Summer yet. any suggestions on what I should tell her I like what size I would like her to use.

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
Originally posted by Theresa@Sep 28 2005, 09:11 AM
I have a question when you use the clippers what size comb do u use? if you want to leave lets say a 2 in length. my groomer if I understood her right only uses the clippers she doesn't put the comb part on ??
  so I haven't let her trim Summer yet.  any suggestions on what I should tell her I like what size I would like her to use.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=104302
[/QUOTE]

If you use a comb attachment, put it over a 30 or 40 blade. You can purchase a 2 inch comb, but for a longer puppy cut like that I would usually scissor it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts