Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had any form of anesthesia free dentals done?

Jax is going to be 3 next month and has a bit of tarter on his teeth. He's fed raw food and I brush his teeth occasionally (not as often as I should). He doesn't really chew on anything so that could also be part of the reason he has some build up.

If you have had it done how did it go? Did the tarter actually come off? Were the pups stressed? I'm sure we'll have to have a full dental at some point, but if this will work then I'm willing to do it!

Thanks!!

·
Registered
4,975 Posts
Good question. All of mine have a tiny bit of tartar on their canine's and I have been putting it off because of the anesthesia.:unsure:

Then Snoopy who use to have bad teeth has really nice ones since I began feeding him raw a few years ago. I guess the raw bones do work on the tartar.

·
Registered
3,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Kenzie has beautiful teeth! (Minus the underbite) She has virtually zero tarter.

I called and the cost is about $100 cheaper without the anesthesia. So there are two major pluses: less cost and no anesthesia! But, if it just means he'll need a full dental any way, then there's really no point.

I too have been putting it off due to anesthesia...

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
i get the anesthesia free cleanings twice a year from someone i trust (Houndstooth Pet Dental). kathy scrapes the tartar and then polishes the teeth (to smooth the tooth so more tartar doesn't build up). when we need a more thorough cleaning (and possible extractions), i will go to the board certified dentist in the area. so far we have been great with the non-anesthetic cleanings, but next year we expect reina will need a couple of molars extracted :(

·
Registered
847 Posts
Anesthesia free cannot clean all surfaces of the teeth and cannot clean under the gumline. If anesthesia free cleaning is your main dental preventative, no, I doubt you can put off a real cleaning indefinitely.
In addition to frequent brushing at home..? I think a while back Nikki's Mom mentioned not having had to bring Nikki in for a cleaning since she's had her because she brushes daily and has no build up...

I assume that's something the vet could tell you (as far as if a cleaning is necessary based on tartar build-up) ?

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
Regular brushing is the best thing you can do to keep your dog's teeth in good shape. But some dogs genetically have worse dental disease than others. I've had one of these. You could brush every day and he'd still need a cleaning.
Your vet should look at your dog's teeth at every physical exam. They should tell you when it is time for a cleaning.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Pepper's turn at a cleaning is coming up soon.... :p Maybe I'll be lucky enough that she won't have to be put under--hate doing that if not ABSOLUTELY necessary.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.