Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Hope the pic comes through Rhea comes home on the 27th of December, she was really supose to come home on the 23rd but I asked her to be held longer, she's not a tiny one but a pretty strapping gal of a pound and a half. LOL Which is bigger then her four brothers and sisters.

My name is Angel and I hope Rhea and I will be welcomed.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Hun

Just been wanting a maltese and yorkie for so long and when I found out a local had these little ones. I was a goner. So glad to find a friendly place.

·
Registered
245 Posts
:welcome1: Nice to "meet" you! I am fairly new here myself, but have found that there is a wealth of information and some really incredible people that adore their furbabies! Your little one is just too cute for words! :wub:

·
Membership Suspended
2,839 Posts
Hi! May I ask how old this baby will be on the 27th? Looks so tiny in this pic.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sadly 8 weeks old plus 5 days

In this area finding a baby older then 6 weeks is almost impossible. I'm right now working on getting her to hold her longer. Cross fingers please. Rhea is not the smallest in the litter, the boys were.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I know but in my area find someone with the power to set charges who would be bothered to do so. Doesn't make it right but I know I'm spaying my girl and not passing on the cycle. Around here there's tons of not so honest breeders who will place a dog after it takes it's first bite of real food. at five weeks old. Again real wrong and when I've called the animal control officer she acted like this was normal here and fine.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Rhea will be 8 weeks old on Dec 23rd.

I've gotten the breeder and I use the term loosely to hold her and her sisters and brothers til after the Holidays.

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
I know but in my area find someone with the power to set charges who would be bothered to do so. Doesn't make it right but I know I'm spaying my girl and not passing on the cycle. Around here there's tons of not so honest breeders who will place a dog after it takes it's first bite of real food. at five weeks old. Again real wrong and when I've called the animal control officer she acted like this was normal here and fine.
I've gotten the breeder and I use the term loosely to hold her and her sisters and brothers til after the Holidays.
Why would you want to give money to someone who is breaking the law at the expense of innocent dogs?

·
Banned
1,869 Posts
Hi! May I ask how old this baby will be on the 27th? Looks so tiny in this pic.
You are right up on it girl! Good for you!

To the OP, Angel,

Hello and welcome - thank G-d that you are trying to CHANGE they way things are done in VA. NOBODY should be selling puppies that young.

You're very wise to want your puppy to grow and learn from her mother, the way every puppy should.

May I ask how you found this "breeder"?

Best of luck to you, again - I hope that you will continue to report "breeders" that sell puppies illegally.

·
Membership Suspended
2,839 Posts
Why would you want to give money to someone who is breaking the law at the expense of innocent dogs?
AngelS, I don't want you to think you're being attacked - understand I am all for the pup - this breeder is a BYB'r - back yard breeder - who doesn't care what he/she puts together just as long as the outcome is puppies. If you have not exchanged money to this point walk away, and we will help you find a pup perhaps in breed rescue. If monies have been exchanged see what it will take for the pup to stay until it's 12 weeks old. The "extra" weeks are vital for the development of social skills, and nurturing from the mother.

You seem to know what is taking place in your area is wrong and have come here seeking advice - we have plenty! :HistericalSmiley:

Looking forward to your answer to Ladysmom question above.

Welcome to SM!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I found this breeder in the local online adds

from ebayclassifieds and she is within legal rights to sell this puppy on Dec 23rd as that is when she'll be 8 weeks old. I talked the breeder into holding the puppy til after Christmas. No puppies for Christmas and the chaos it can be and she came around. I actually almost thank this breeder as she doesn't let them come home til 8 weeks old. A diffent change from around here.

I'm paying for the puppy almost the same as if I recued her from the shelter. $300. so I think it's almost fair and I'm coming into this with eyes wide open.

I will keep being a pain in the behind to those who post local adds here for free and up pups that are under age. Maybe if I keep hollaring someone will listen.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I know I'm not being attacked.

AngelS, I don't want you to think you're being attacked - understand I am all for the pup - this breeder is a BYB'r - back yard breeder - who doesn't care what he/she puts together just as long as the outcome is puppies. If you have not exchanged money to this point walk away, and we will help you find a pup perhaps in breed rescue. If monies have been exchanged see what it will take for the pup to stay until it's 12 weeks old. The "extra" weeks are vital for the development of social skills, and nurturing from the mother.

You seem to know what is taking place in your area is wrong and have come here seeking advice - we have plenty! :HistericalSmiley:

Looking forward to your answer to Ladysmom question above.

Welcome to SM!

Trust me I know she's a byb. but $300. is what she is asking and alot of rescues charge more then that. and at this point in time I'm trying to educate this person into seeing what she does. At this point in time I kinda of see this more as a rescue, then BYB'r, my area pure yorkies and maltese are sold for $250 and up. She's had no bites and has dropped her price alot. She's a young girl going to college and at this time, I've almost I think got her talked into spaying Mom and neutering Dad. She's had a very emotional time with this and since contact about the puppies, she's called me twice a day for advice. I might get her to fully stop now that she knows theses puppies are like human babies and need so much more than what she was raised to believe.

·
Membership Suspended
2,839 Posts
from ebayclassifieds and she is within legal rights to sell this puppy on Dec 23rd as that is when she'll be 8 weeks old. I talked the breeder into holding the puppy til after Christmas. No puppies for Christmas and the chaos it can be and she came around. I actually almost thank this breeder as she doesn't let them come home til 8 weeks old. A diffent change from around here.

I'm paying for the puppy almost the same as if I rescued her from the shelter. $300. so I think it's almost fair and I'm coming into this with eyes wide open.

I will keep being a pain in the behind to those who post local adds here for free and up pups that are under age. Maybe if I keep hollaring someone will listen.
Many have the same outlook as you do. What is happening is the "rescuer" is actually perpetuating the BYB'rs business of indiscriminate breeding, and adding to the unwanted dog population. If no one purchases from BYB'rs, pet shops, on line brokers, the BYB'rs,and puppy mills will go out of business which is a goal of EVERY dog lover nation wide.

·
Banned
1,869 Posts
Many have the same outlook as you do. What is happening is the "rescuer" is actually perpetuating the BYB'rs business of indiscriminate breeding, and adding to the unwanted dog population. If no one purchases from BYB'rs, pet shops, on line brokers, the BYB'rs,and puppy mills will go out of business which is a goal of EVERY dog lover nation wide.

I would give all of my limbs to STOP the cycle for the fluffs. We can ALL stop the abuse - if people would just STOP buying puppies from BYB'rs, Pet Shops, online brokers (puppy mills). We would save fluffs from misery and abuse.

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Trust me I know she's a byb. but $300. is what she is asking and alot of rescues charge more then that. and at this point in time I'm trying to educate this person into seeing what she does. At this point in time I kinda of see this more as a rescue, then BYB'r, my area pure yorkies and maltese are sold for $250 and up. She's had no bites and has dropped her price alot. She's a young girl going to college and at this time, I've almost I think got her talked into spaying Mom and neutering Dad. She's had a very emotional time with this and since contact about the puppies, she's called me twice a day for advice. I might get her to fully stop now that she knows theses puppies are like human babies and need so much more than what she was raised to believe.
Rescues require an adoption fee that usually doesn't even cover the veterinary expenses (spaying/neutering, vaccinations, dental at a minimum). It is a charitable donation that is usually tax deductible. By giving them $300 you are supporting a group dedicated to saving homeless dogs.

Backyard breeders breed for profit. By giving them $300 you are only encouraging them to breed again - and again and again and again.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts