Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
on Wednesday. I'm so worried about her. She's so little, and I've seen tiny dogs crash under General....
I know it's absolutely the right thing to do-especially considering we have an intact DOBERMAN in the house!!! (Not my choice, he's a show dog, and co-owned with his breeder) He's a good boy but the lure of "girl dog in heat" is a bit much to ask him to take.
I also want her to live a very long, very healthy life. It's really the anesthesia I'm worried about.
Am I just being a bit overly worried?

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Congrats for doing the right thing for your baby. You are not being overly worried. I dare say that all responsible dog owners worry when their dogs have surgery. When mine were neutered, I could hardly function until I got that call that all was A-OK.

However, I do think that if you have an excellent vet with an excellent track record, then everything should be just fine. Be sure to they do blood work prior to the surgery.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Originally posted by Kallie/Catcher's Mom@Jan 8 2005, 10:22 AM
Congrats for doing the right thing for your baby. You are not being overly worried. I dare say that all responsible dog owners worry when their dogs have surgery. When mine were neutered, I could hardly function until I got that call that all was A-OK.

However, I do think that if you have an excellent vet with an excellent track record, then everything should be just fine.  Be sure to they do blood work prior to the surgery.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=28408
[/QUOTE]

Hi ,

Chelsey will be getting spayed next month somtime too. I have yet to make the appointment. I know I have to make the appointment as we also have a boy pup in the home.
Can you explain why we should get the blood work done prior to the surgery?

Airmid, I know how you feel. I have read so much on not getting your puppy spayed that I know it is the right choice for her, but I still worry . I think the worst thing for me was I pulled up a picture to see what it looks like and now. I'm even more worried. I have disscussed It with our vet and they will include the pain medication.

When we had Chester neutered we did not have to go throgh too much as we let the breeder take him back to the vet and he got neutered while we were on our honeymoon. (sounds alfull I know ) Before we bought him the breeder agreed the he could go back and stay with her while we were getting married. Three weeks. So she suggested to have him neutered at the same time. I did worry about chester but not as much as I new he was in good hands. He was not crated and was in her house with her . When we returned Chester was all healed I did not see any stiches. The beeder took lot of pickers of chester playing. Chester even got some training as well he was such a transformed puppy.

Please keep us posted when puppy has the surgery.

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
yes do the blood work..and also u can ask your vet what type of anesthesia they use. if they induce with an injectable and maintain on isoflurane gas, that is the best and safest. this is what my vet uses and he has never lost an animal.

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
Originally posted by LadyMontava@Jan 8 2005, 02:32 PM
yes do the blood work..and also u can ask your vet what type of anesthesia they use.  if they induce with an injectable and maintain on isoflurane gas, that is the best and safest.  this is what my vet uses and he has never lost an animal.

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=28451
[/QUOTE]
I believe that is what was used on Kodie... so if its safe for Kodie... its safe for anyone! (he very small and has MVD)

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, I dropped her off at 8:30 this morning-I'm supposed to call at 2. I'm going to clean the house just to keep busy....

I'm sure she'll be fine, but I'm holding my breath, too....

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Originally posted by Airmid@Jan 12 2005, 09:57 AM
Well, I dropped her off at 8:30 this morning-I'm supposed to call at 2. I'm going to clean the house just to keep busy....

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=29230
[/QUOTE]

I hope she has a speedy recovery!!!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Originally posted by Airmid@Jan 12 2005, 09:57 AM

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=29230
[/QUOTE]

Dear dear Airmid -- you sound EXACTLY like I sounded last summer. I was scared out of my mind. I read every word I could find about spaying and I could hardly breathe when I took her in that morning. I started to CRY and embarrassed myself in front of everybody there. I was scared to touch her when I picked her up because of her stitches... the girl who brought her out of the recovery room showed me how to hold her. She slept after I brought her home and the VERY NEXT DAY -- she was my sweet normal Tessa. She had dissolving internal stitches and I put a little t-shirt on her for protection -- she licked a little bit, but not much. I could not believe how easy it was. I did also have the blood work done to make sure she was OK for the anesthesia.. she had some baby teeth removed, so I hand fed her soft food for about a day, but like I said, she snapped back. You will be a wreck until 2:00, but I'm betting it will be OK. I hope you let us all know how you're doing.... you'll have such a nice clean house !!

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just called, and she's awake and walking!!!! They told me to come and get her!!! I expected her to still be sleepy!!
YAY!

I'll let you know how she seems when I bring her little fuzz-butt home!!

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, my baby is home! She's a little sleepy, but otherwise seems ok. Her inscision is so small!
They also pulled 3 baby teeth, and they sent those home in a little baggy-my kids find that fastinating.
So, Angel is sleeping in mommys bed right now, and I'm keeping an eye on her. The vet said that tomorrow I can put a t shirt on her to make sure she doesn't get her belly dirty outside. (It's so muddy and gross here these days!!)

Thanks for all your support guys!! Gonna go cuddle with my Angel!

·
Registered
323 Posts
I am so glad all is well, I was a wreck when I had Pudge and Josie done on the same day....so I think we can all relate. Enjoy the quiet time with her.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
I'm glad your dear Angel is doing great. We all know that it hurts just as much for us as it does for them. At least they get pain meds. Keep us updated:). A gazillion XOXO's for Angel and you from ButterCloud and Noriko.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts