Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
831 Posts
I used to click everyday too. But after reading what this person wrote and after going to the link he provided. I'm not too sure now. Here is what he wrote:

I hate to be the bearer of bad tidings all, but this site is a for
profit advertising scam run by a corporation called CharityUSA.com. (The
.com in the web address is a good tip off .)

You can read an article about how it works (or in fact, works really
badly) at:

http://www.sanluisobispo.com/mld/charlotte...5282071.h\
tm

·
Registered
939 Posts
Granted someone is making some bucks on the advertising.
But, if you go to one of these sites and click you are still benefiting one of the groups in need. In the article he said
"If it's that important to you," Borochoff said, "wouldn't it be more productive to make a donation somewhere?"[/B]
.... maybe some people can't afford do that or if you can that is great, go ahead make your donation, but I think you can continue to click... a little help goes a long way. I feel it is like volunteering your time. The mammograms listed as free in the article
Site visits paid for 948 free mammograms last year; another 666 were provided from sales of merchandise bearing the pink-ribbon symbol of breast cancer awareness. Pop-up ads lead visitors to the store, which keeps the site operating, Hescock said.[/B]
still help others and all it took was a few seconds of each persons time (lots of people, but still just a few seconds) to provide 1614 free mammograms. If you are like me you visit a number of sites daily (just like this one) and it benefits no one.

Just my thoughts.

Judi

·
Registered
939 Posts
I think some of these things are good and lots are bad! I also do not answer/click e-mail spam for these causes.
On the other hand you have to make your own choices on who you want to trust. Rather than comming to your door or calling your home these people (good and bad) are now working with current technology, some for profit some to help others. The comment that the ".com" on the address is a sure sign that it is for profit is correct. To be fully non-profit the site will/should have a ".org". You must be careful though; as with those phone calls we receive you have to follow your heart, investigate anything that seems strange and be safe!

Judi

1 - 9 of 9 Posts