Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,856 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any suggestions on how to get Paris to quit nipping at our ankles or toes as we are walking through the house? I will stop and tell her no and she stops (for a split second) and then tries to do it again. I will then tell her no and point my finger at her. She just looks at me like, yeah right...as soon as I turn around to walk off she tries again. Sometimes I can get her to stop but not as often as I would like.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
If you acknowledge her nipping then she has gotten what she wants... attention! K & C did that and what worked for me was ignoring it and keeping on walking. Eventually it was hard for them to nip if I walked fast and it was no fun for them if I did not respond.

·
Premium Member
13,652 Posts
Yes I will go along with that, ignorance is bliss they say, but if that doesn't work perhaps you could try the sin bin approach and confine her and ignore her for about 10 minutes when she does it. Pretty soon she will realize she is not getting the expected response and give it up.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Bailey went through that nipping at your feet and pants stage also.
I tried to ignore the behavior.. and now at a little over 8 months, he has completely quit that annoying habit.
I don't know if my ignoring his behavior helped, or that he just "grew out" of the bad habit, but I am happy to say that he has not done it in quite a while now.

·
Registered
4,856 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks...I'll try ignoring her and see how that works.

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
i used to bitter apple spray my socks. and bitter apple wears off after like 15 minutes. so i'd have to reapply it.
just a light mist.

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
You can:

Ask for an incompatible behavior like heeling with you or a down stay while you walk.

Say "uh oh" in a happy voice and crate the pup for a while. The idea here is that instead of getting attention, the pup gets ignored.

I would give the simple ignore a try first. Stop, turn away from him, stand still and totally ignore him.

·
Registered
277 Posts
<span style="font-family:Times">LOL
Peaches does that to me and my parents all the time
. I thought I was the only one with that problem.... :lol: </span>

·
Registered
4,856 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I tried the ignore thing last night (Ijust kept walking while she tried to nip). OMG it really does work! She still nipped a few times but not nearly as often as in the past. Hopefully, with a few days of being ignored this too shall pass.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts