Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,959 Posts
IAMS is a well respected brand pet food. I am interested in knowing which side of this discussion is accurate. I am not a big fan of ANS and to honest with you and more apt to believe the IAMS information. I am on another forum, where breeders seem to be quite knowledgeable about these issue and I will pass this on to see what their "input" is.

I have sent an e-mail off and will share any response I receive with you.

It would be a terrible thing if this were the truth!!!!!!!!!!!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,474 Posts
I know nothing about IAMS, but I do know that most things we hear from PETA are not true. I have a good friend who had always dreamed of working for PETA in Norfolk, VA at their headquarters, at 25 she finally got the oppotunity- she worked there less than 7 months, and was shocked at the lies, and the behavior of the employees, killing of animals left at their offices, and hiring protesters! And PETA doesn't believe anyone in the world should ahve a domestic animal- if we followed what PETA preachers, none of us would have our pets!

For information on PETA see the following links;

Animalscam.com

Things you didn''t know about PETA

The truth about PETA this is a viedeo

Thedogplace.com-article

PETAKillsAnimals.com

news article
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,942 Posts
Thanks for these articles on the "other side of the issue", and for your input concerning your friend.
Those of us who are interested in showing our dogs have to be diligent at show sites because of PETA. There were some cases within the last few months in the southeast with their actions. They come into a show site and let the dogs out of the crates where they may be waiting while their owner is in the show ring with other dogs. These dogs can roam into the street and be killed. In some instances, PETA workers wear black arm bands, and in others, they leave a little card in the crate saying "better dead than bred".
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,959 Posts
I also believe that ANS will back/promote/sell anything as long as she is paid for it. Don't forget, she is the women who had a TV sho where she allowed herself to be shown sitting on the toilet, actually USING IT :new_Eyecrazy: .
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,474 Posts
Originally posted by LucyLou@Oct 29 2005, 08:12 AM
Thanks for these articles on the "other side of the issue", and for your input concerning your friend.
Those of us who are interested in showing our dogs have to be diligent at show sites because of PETA.  There were some cases within the last few months in the southeast with their actions.  They come into a show site and let the dogs out of the crates where they may be waiting while their owner is in the show ring with other dogs.  These dogs can roam into the street and be killed.  In some instances, PETA workers wear black arm bands, and in others, they leave a little card in the crate saying "better dead than bred".
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=114548
[/QUOTE]




PETA is full of wackjobs, including their director, no question about it. It's a shame really because they do some good, but their crazy-gorilla warfare over shadows and cancels out any of the good they do.

They are a huge organization that raises tons of money, they have a lot of governement pull because people are scared of them.

I wish more people knew how crazy they are and would start giving their regular PETA donation to their local No Kill shelter.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,942 Posts
Originally posted by Deanna+Oct 29 2005, 10:27 AM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-LucyLou
@Oct 29 2005, 08:12 AM
Thanks for these articles on the "other side of the issue", and for your input concerning your friend.
Those of us who are interested in showing our dogs have to be diligent at show sites because of PETA.  There were some cases within the last few months in the southeast with their actions.  They come into a show site and let the dogs out of the crates where they may be waiting while their owner is in the show ring with other dogs.  These dogs can roam into the street and be killed.  In some instances, PETA workers wear black arm bands, and in others, they leave a little card in the crate saying "better dead than bred".
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=114548



PETA is full of wackjobs, including their director, no question about it. It's a shame really because they do some good, but their crazy-gorilla warfare over shadows and cancels out any of the good they do.

They are a huge organization that raises tons of money, they have a lot of governement pull because people are scared of them.

I wish more people knew how crazy they are and would start giving their regular PETA donation to their local No Kill shelter.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=114554
[/B][/QUOTE]


I couldn't agree with you more. My money goes to the locals where I know it goes to the welfare of the dogs/cats.
It is really an eye opener when you research PETA and see where their millions is spent. Very little goes for the care of the animals.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sorry-I didn't know that PETA was such a bad thing...
I don't remember all this coming up when we discussed the IAMS/PETA thing before. Sorry.
Don't guess I should have posted it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,474 Posts
tlunn,

NO No, I am glad you posted it- it has made me start researching Iams to see what info I can find out there! I don't use Iams, but I am curious as to what their story is. I would never have started to do any research on Iams if you hadn't posted this.

Like I said in my original post, I know nothing about Iams, but I do have some knowledge of PETA. I like share that info because PETA is such a well known name, and most people only know what PETA wants them to know-- thats why I posted. I like people to see the other sides of PETA and make up their own minds about them- and especially because I know how much people here love animals.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
21,482 Posts
I'm not a PETA fan either. They used to send me solicitations for donations all the time and I would send the form back with a request to remove me from their list. Yet, time after time they still sent me their junk. So then I started stuffing the postage paid envelope with all of the enclosures they had sent me so they'd have a hefty return postage charge on my envelope. And inside I asked to be removed. I did that a couple times and finally I don't hear from them any more.

I consider them a fringe organization and a nuisance and doing more harm than good.

Hey Traci.... don't feel bad about posting it. It was good info to know what's going on and it opens up dialogue.... So, thanks for posting it!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,942 Posts
Originally posted by Caesar's Mommie+Oct 29 2005, 11:27 AM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Kallie/Catcher's Mom
@Oct 29 2005, 11:05 AM
Hey Traci.... don't feel bad about posting it. It was good info to know what's going on and it opens up dialogue.... So, thanks for posting it!!

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=114563
I agree!

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=114567
[/B][/QUOTE]

I'm glad this came up. If it just gets a few people to do more research into this organization, then these people pass it on to a few more, perhaps more truths will be told. I'm not a fan of HSUS for many of the same reasons. I want my money going to helping the animals.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
13,652 Posts
I went to this site a long time ago and looked at the www.iamscruelty.com and since then have never even looked at Iams pet foods. I know they are denying that it is true but to me pictures speak louder than any words. Unless Iams actually sue for defamation I will continue to avoid their products.

I mean if there was no basis to the story one would think a large company would very quickly take this to court to prove it wrong.

Hey don't feel bad about posting it, actually there was an article in our local paper about PETA this morning. I would never subscribe to it because as K/C said you would never stop the junk mail from coming in.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,959 Posts
The IAMS issue and the PETA issue are two entirely seperate issues and isn't the purpose of this forum to sort these things out? tlunn You should not feel bad at all about posting. I think that the PETA issue is clear, what isn't clear is what IAMS is really doing. ARE THEY HARMING animals??? I for one would really like to know. I feed IAMS to my OES and would not want to continue supporting them if that were the case.

But I wouldn't want to boycot a company on the sayso of either PETA or ANS
. So on the off chance that there is some truth to it I would like to continue to "seek the truth". I'm not sure lack of a law suit really means anything, people can do or say anything these days. WIth the internet it would be impossible to chase down, defend or sue every rumor or lie that gets posted. I think there are times when big companies simply ignore things in the hope they will die down and go away.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
13,652 Posts
Originally posted by puppymom@Oct 29 2005, 04:28 PM
The IAMS issue and the PETA issue are two entirely seperate issues and isn't the purpose of this forum to sort these things out?  tlunn  You should not feel bad at all about posting.  I think that the PETA issue is clear, what isn't clear is what IAMS is really doing.  ARE THEY HARMING animals???    I for one would really like to know.  I feed IAMS to my OES and would not want to continue supporting them if that were the case. 

But I wouldn't want to boycot a company on the sayso of either PETA or ANS
.  So on the off chance that there is some truth to it I would like to continue to "seek the truth".  I'm not sure lack of a law suit really means anything, people can do or say anything these days.  WIth the internet it would be impossible to chase down, defend or sue every rumor or lie that gets posted.  I think there are times when big companies simply ignore things in the hope they will die down and go away.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=114643
[/QUOTE]

You do make a couple of very good points here, but I want to know where the pictures came from if Iams are denying all of this, like you said how does one go about finding the truth, I mean to say, if it isn't true then I am sure they won't want it to be spread, Peta would be very easy to track down if they chose to do so, but this particular web site with its pictures etc has been around now for quite some time as I actually have it in my favorites from last year.
My thoughts are like yours here that I would like to know one way or the other, but then I don't use their products anyway because I am not sure and also because Scooby is such a fussy eater that he probably wouldn't touch their products anyway.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Originally posted by Scoobydoo@Oct 29 2005, 01:25 PM
I went to this site a long time ago and looked at the www.iamscruelty.com and since then have never even looked at Iams pet foods. I know they are denying that it is true but to me pictures speak louder than any words. Unless Iams actually sue for defamation I will continue to avoid their products.

I mean if there was no basis to the story one would think a large company would very quickly take this to court to prove it wrong.

Hey don't feel bad about posting it, actually there was an article in our local paper about PETA this morning. I would never subscribe to it because as K/C said you would never stop the junk mail from coming in.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=114599
[/QUOTE]


This is what bothers me...even if it is NOT true that Iams is the one actually treating the animals cruelly....notice the part in red...from the Iams site...

FACT: Posing as an animal lover, an activist "undercover investigator" was hired for an Iams-funded role in the contract facility. She had responsibility for the socialization and enrichment of the dogs participating in Iams' feeding studies, and was paid to develop and implement a program to ensure that these dogs were well cared for. Rather than focusing on her assignment she captured video not of the scenes of the socialization and enrichment activities she was being paid to develop and deliver, but of dogs and cats that were housed in the same facility but not a part of Iams studies.
IF Iams is not the one actually involved in the cruel testing...if they cared enough about ANIMALS...(as they say)....then they would not be in the same vicinity of such atrocities.

That is just my opinion, and I also will not be purchasing from Iams until/unless I find out the truth.[/B]
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by tlunn@Oct 29 2005, 06:09 PM
This is what bothers me...even if it is NOT true that Iams is the one actually treating the animals cruelly....notice the part in red...from the Iams site...

QUOTE
FACT: Posing as an animal lover, an activist "undercover investigator" was hired for an Iams-funded role in the contract facility. She had responsibility for the socialization and enrichment of the dogs participating in Iams' feeding studies, and was paid to develop and implement a program to ensure that these dogs were well cared for. Rather than focusing on her assignment she captured video not of the scenes of the socialization and enrichment activities she was being paid to develop and deliver, but of dogs and cats that were housed in the same facility but not a part of Iams studies.
IF Iams is not the one actually involved in the cruel testing...if they cared enough about ANIMALS...(as they say)....then they would not be in the same vicinity of such atrocities.

That is just my opinion, and I also will not be purchasing from Iams until/unless I find out the truth.

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=114653
[/B][/QUOTE]

Good point. It seems Iams doesn't have a good defense, IMHO.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,959 Posts
Originally posted by Kallie/Catcher's Mom+Oct 29 2005, 05:35 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-tlunn
@Oct 29 2005, 06:09 PM

This is what bothers me...even if it is NOT true that Iams is the one actually treating the animals cruelly....notice the part in red...from the Iams site...

QUOTE
<div class='quotemain'>FACT: Posing as an animal lover, an activist "undercover investigator" was hired for an Iams-funded role in the contract facility. She had responsibility for the socialization and enrichment of the dogs participating in Iams' feeding studies, and was paid to develop and implement a program to ensure that these dogs were well cared for. Rather than focusing on her assignment she captured video not of the scenes of the socialization and enrichment activities she was being paid to develop and deliver, but of dogs and cats that were housed in the same facility but not a part of Iams studies.


IF Iams is not the one actually involved in the cruel testing...if they cared enough about ANIMALS...(as they say)....then they would not be in the same vicinity of such atrocities.

That is just my opinion, and I also will not be purchasing from Iams until/unless I find out the truth.

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=114653
[/B][/QUOTE]

Good point. It seems Iams doesn't have a good defense, IMHO.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=114659
[/B][/QUOTE]



I suspect that this is one of those discussions where minds are already made up but I have gone to the above referenced site WW.IAMS.com and read almost all the postings, not just the small paragraph referenced above. I am satisfied that IAMS has been proactive in taking steps to stop or prevent situations such as the one described above from happening in their research and developement. In situations where outside facilities are used you don't always know exactly what is going on. Remember the scamdal involving Kathy Lee Gifford and K Mart?

I have also "googled" this and found little fact to support PETA's claims other than PETS's web sites themselves.

It would appear that a very bad situation occurred at that paticular facility but that it did not involve IAMS. Unfortunately, PETA is the type of terroist activist group that will stop at nothing to achieve it's own agenda. If you go back to the post at the start of this thread and read about some of the atrocities that PETA has been involved in you'll focus you anger at them and not at a petfood company which, from what I've been able to find out in an afternoon of net surfing (and I certainly could be wrong) appears to have been the successful victim of a smear campaign by PETA and the idiot ANS. Just MHO of course
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Originally posted by puppymom+Oct 29 2005, 07:02 PM-->
Originally posted by Kallie/Catcher's [email protected] 29 2005, 05:35 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-tlunn
@Oct 29 2005, 06:09 PM

This is what bothers me...even if it is NOT true that Iams is the one actually treating the animals cruelly....notice the part in red...from the Iams site...

QUOTE
<div class='quotemain'>FACT: Posing as an animal lover, an activist "undercover investigator" was hired for an Iams-funded role in the contract facility. She had responsibility for the socialization and enrichment of the dogs participating in Iams' feeding studies, and was paid to develop and implement a program to ensure that these dogs were well cared for. Rather than focusing on her assignment she captured video not of the scenes of the socialization and enrichment activities she was being paid to develop and deliver, but of dogs and cats that were housed in the same facility but not a part of Iams studies.


IF Iams is not the one actually involved in the cruel testing...if they cared enough about ANIMALS...(as they say)....then they would not be in the same vicinity of such atrocities.

That is just my opinion, and I also will not be purchasing from Iams until/unless I find out the truth.

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=114653

[/QUOTE]

Good point. It seems Iams doesn't have a good defense, IMHO.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=114659
[/B][/QUOTE]



I suspect that this is one of those discussions where minds are already made up but I have gone to the above referenced site WW.IAMS.com and read almost all the postings, not just the small paragraph referenced above. I am satisfied that IAMS has been proactive in taking steps to stop or prevent situations such as the one described above from happening in their research and developement. In situations where outside facilities are used you don't always know exactly what is going on. Remember the scamdal involving Kathy Lee Gifford and K Mart?

I have also "googled" this and found little fact to support PETA's claims other than PETS's web sites themselves.

It would appear that a very bad situation occurred at that paticular facility but that it did not involve IAMS. Unfortunately, PETA is the type of terroist activist group that will stop at nothing to achieve it's own agenda. If you go back to the post at the start of this thread and read about some of the atrocities that PETA has been involved in you'll focus you anger at them and not at a petfood company which, from what I've been able to find out in an afternoon of net surfing (and I certainly could be wrong) appears to have been the successful victim of a smear campaign by PETA and the idiot ANS. Just MHO of course
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=114678
[/B][/QUOTE]

I think I'll stick to my Chicken Soup brand-just in case.
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Top