Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some of you are aware of my last post about this subject. Kodie had a panting spell a month or so ago. Well... last night at 12 after we went to bed... Kodie got up and was walking all around my bed. I thought he had to go to the bathroom..so I put him on the ground in his pen. All he did was walk around panting.
He layed down a few times but had his head up and still panting. Last time I noticed he was stretching while he was walking around... but this time I didnt really notice him doing that. Maybe he did it only 2 times. Anyway.. this went on and off all night!! I have no idea what is going on... and i'm sick of running to the vet and they tell me its anal sac probs... i really dont think it is.
I'm afraid its Kodie's MVD. I dunno is this a sign of a stomach ache? Kodie didnt go the bathroom all night just pee. He pooed this morning. I know pico's mom has stomach rumbling with Pico... but I listened and felt the area... no rumbling.
Kodie didnt have any unusual foods either... his dinner was his l/d dog food and some green beans in it. (he has been getting green beans for awhile now... so its nothing unusual) Anyone have any ideas what this panting... walking around... thing is? It makes me worried that kodie is in pain!
What should i do... he seems to be okay this morning.. no panting... or anything.

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
I don't have the reason yet, but a friend who feeds raw told me not to use green beans. She is to find out more. Someone told her why, but she can't remember the problem.
I'm planning a diet for a foster dog I'm going to reduce so we can get him adopted.
I hope Kodie is better now.

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Originally posted by LucyLou@Jun 18 2005, 01:20 PM
I don't have the reason yet, but a friend who feeds raw told me not to use green beans.  She is to find out more.  Someone told her why, but she can't remember the problem. 
I'm planning a diet for a foster dog I'm going to reduce so we can get him adopted.
I hope Kodie is better now.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=73651
[/QUOTE]
Last time this happened I gave kodie carrots a few days before... I dunno if this is veggie related.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
I hope you figure out what's wrong with lil Kodie ASAP! XOXO's to Kodie!

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I stopped giving kodie brocoili and cheerios.... thinking the wheat was a problem and the brocoili was too gassy... I just dont know... this is soo weird.

I think I might call Cornell this week and just ask if it could be MVD related. JMM... do you think its related to MVD? I know your supposed to look for weird behavior...

·
Registered
132 Posts
Originally posted by Kodie@Jun 18 2005, 04:08 PM
I stopped giving kodie brocoili and cheerios.... thinking the wheat was a problem and the brocoili was too gassy... I just dont know... this is soo weird.

I think I might call Cornell this week and just ask if it could be MVD related.  JMM... do you think its related to MVD?  I know your supposed to look for weird behavior...

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=73674
[/QUOTE]
I am sorry to hear that Kodie is not feeling well. I hope Kodie feels better soon

This maybe a stupid question but what is mvd?

·
Registered
451 Posts
Im sorry Kodie has to go thru this it must be so hard for u to see him like that i know what u mean. thats how i feel when my son is sick... anyways i dont know anything about that, im sorry i will keep him im my prayers ok. Hopeful you will find out why he does this.

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
It doesn't sound like he has hepatic encephalopathy, but my liver dog has the worst time at night feeling uncomfortable, especially after he eats. Of course, he has inflammation in his liver and IBD besides the MVD. Dr. Center and Dr. Ramstedt (the resident we deal with) want me to try simethicone (GasX) before he eats to see if maybe it is discomfort from being gassy. I'd give them a ring. If its a Maltese and MVD, they're the best.

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
Originally posted by JAKIEP33@Jun 18 2005, 04:58 PM
I am sorry to hear that Kodie is not feeling well. I hope Kodie feels better soon

This maybe a stupid question but what is mvd?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=73697
[/QUOTE]

Hepatic microvascular dysplasia is a hereditary liver disease in Maltese. Basically there are lots of microscopic shunt vessels within the liver. It cannot be repaired. The severity can vary from no symptoms to a very sick dog. This and liver shunts are why it is a good idea to have a pup screened through a blood test called a bile acid assay before purchase.

http://www.vetcentric.com/magazine/magazin...m?ARTICLEID=951

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
I'm sorry to hear Kodie isn't feeling well
I hope you are able to find out what is wrong. Kodie is such a sweetie
Sending Kodie and you a big hug from Indy and Mommy

·
Registered
571 Posts
I sure hope that you find out what is the matter with Kodie. I have had sort of the same problem with Tag. He had his second attack last night. The first time he would sort of scurry around and yelp like something was horribly wrong with him. Of course this was on a Friday night, snow storm, no vet open. Called a vet who would come in for emergency. Drove there with my son(who gave up a date, he was that worried about Tag too) Tag yelped off and on all the way there and shook so hard I thought he would hurt himself just from the shaking. Got to the vet, who was very patient. He checked Tag out from one end to the other and was just saying that he thought maybe we should xray him. When all of a sudden there was this very nasty smell and a sweet little dog just wagging his tail. This all cost me over $100. So last night when this happened my youngest son just sat with him on the floor and massaged him. Same thing happend, real bad smell and then the wagging tail. Now I have to find out what is causing this problem because it is really hurting him and I can't stand to see him in pain.

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Originally posted by JMM@Jun 18 2005, 08:10 PM
It doesn't sound like he has hepatic encephalopathy, but my liver dog has the worst time at night feeling uncomfortable, especially after he eats. Of course, he has inflammation in his liver and IBD besides the MVD. Dr. Center and Dr. Ramstedt (the resident we deal with) want me to try simethicone (GasX) before he eats to see if maybe it is discomfort from being gassy. I'd give them a ring. If its a Maltese and MVD, they're the best.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=73713
[/QUOTE]
I took Kodie to Cornell about one years ago this month! I saw Dr. Aquirre (he was my resident doc) and of course Dr. Center. I remember when i called Cornell just to make Kodie's appointment a year ago.. you cant really talk to a doctor personally... how should i go about contacting them personally?

Thanks everyone! I hope I find out with is wrong with little kodie soon.. because i'm worried when the next attack will be..
I hate to see my little one in pain.

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
You can technically leave Dr. Center a message (option 4 when you call for the message board), but I don't know how readily it would be answered. I would call the message board and ask who you can leave the question for. Otherwise, have your regular vet call Dr. Center. I'm extra lucky because Mikey's local internist was a resident at Cornell and has even called Dr. Center at home about Mikey.

·
Premium Member
13,652 Posts
I am just wondering if Kodie gulps his food too quicky and gets an air lock in his tummy, also you could try feeding him from a raised food bowl so his head isn't down so far when he eats. It sounds like a bit of colic like babies get when they gulp and then can't get rid of the gas. If he has always had beans and had no problem with them, why now? Scooby eats all vegies except the no no ones and he is fine. Do you warm his food to room temp as cold food can give them a tummy ache too. Just a few thoughts I had.
I do hope you can get to the bottom of it soon, poor Kodie

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Originally posted by JMM@Jun 19 2005, 08:13 PM
You can technically leave Dr. Center a message (option 4 when you call for the message board), but I don't know how readily it would be answered. I would call the message board and ask who you can leave the question for. Otherwise, have your regular vet call Dr. Center. I'm extra lucky because Mikey's local internist was a resident at Cornell and has even called Dr. Center at home about Mikey.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=73895
[/QUOTE]
Kodie's internal medicine doc was also a resident from Cornell!
She is wonderful and told me about Cornell. I'll try contacting Cornell myself and if that doesnt work.. i'll give my internal medicine doc a call. Thanks for the suggestions!

Originally posted by Scoobydoo@Jun 19 2005, 09:11 PM
I am just wondering if Kodie gulps his food too quicky and gets an air lock in his tummy, also you could try feeding him from a raised food bowl so his head isn't down so far when he eats. It sounds like a bit of colic like babies get when they gulp and then can't get rid of the gas. If he has always had beans and had no problem with them, why now? Scooby eats all vegies except the no no ones and he is fine. Do you warm his food to room temp as cold food can give them a tummy ache too. Just a few thoughts I had.
I do hope you can get to the bottom of it soon, poor Kodie

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=73900
[/QUOTE]
Ummm... I dont really see him gulping his food... he usually take one piece at a time and runs to his bed with it and eats it... piece by piece.. haha
He's a funny eater. I see what your saying though about the gas. I warm up Kodies veggies and mix it into his regular dog food. I usually give kodie veggies regularly so thats why I find it odd that the veggies would be related to his attacks. I hope to get some answers this week. I will be making phone calls tomorrow. Thanks for the suggestions!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts