Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you avoid getting soap in their eyes when rinsing out shampoo and how do you avoid getting water in their ears??

I have only taken Chulita a bath a few times at home myself. I tried putting cotton in her ears they manage to fall out. What I do is have my daughter pinch her ears closed while I rinse the shampoo and Conditioner out.

Now her face....I get very nervous when it comes time to rinsing her face. I try putting to put the toothbrush in the water and brushing out most of the shampoo from her face but it really does not do the job. I try to cover her eyes with my hand and then quickly spray her face with water but of course she does not like this and will always move just and I'm spraying the water. I'm always so paranoid with these to parts (eyes, ears)

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
I use those mustard and ketchup bottles filled with water to rinse Lady's face. You can direct the stream where you want it so it doesn't go into their ears. Lady hates the sprayer but doesn't mind this at all.

I also only use a tearless shampoo on faces. I prefer Absolutely Natural which is not only tearless, but rinses out quickly.

Of course, I'm happy to post the website so I can spend more of your money!

http://www.absolutelynatural.com/index.cgi...&ExpandedDepts=

·
Registered
5,656 Posts
You can try putting cotton in the ears, but I have never gotten it to work; it always falls out. So what I do is push the ear flap up aganist the side of Toby's head to create a "seal" to resist any water from entering. After bathtime, I always clean his ear with an ear cleaner. Toby is 2, and (knock on wood) never had an ear problem.

As for not getting soap in his eyes, I use it sparingly around the face and rinse quickly. That is a wonderful suggestion from LadysMom about the bottle and squirting the water--never thought of that!

·
Registered
307 Posts
I use those mustard and ketchup bottles filled with water to rinse Lady's face. You can direct the stream where you want it so it doesn't go into their ears. Lady hates the sprayer but doesn't mind this at all.
I also only use a tearless shampoo on faces. I prefer Absolutely Natural which is not only tearless, but rinses out quickly.

Of course, I'm happy to post the website so I can spend more of your money!

http://www.absolutelynatural.com/index.cgi...&ExpandedDepts=[/B]
waht a great idea. thanks.

·
Registered
802 Posts
I have the same fears about the face and ears. No matter how much I read about what to do, I still felt bad about the ears and face. Yup, I didn't do the greatest job on his face, either. I don't want him to hate the bath. I only bathed him once in a month because of this. He has just started letting me cut his eye hair, this keeps that area clean. I plucked Alot of his ear hair with my fingers (one ear per play time) while I leave one finger in his mouth to teeth on while I used the other hand to pluck his ears. I always wipe his hiney and trim the hair by his butt, I do that quickly, he doesn't even notice it. I also will trim his wee wee hair on his pinga while he thinks I am rubbing his belly. I got him used to being handled right down to his pinga so he won't notice when I groom him in his "private" area.

I read on the groomers board to put some vaseline on the cotton balls so they will be waterproof and stick to the ear. Don't know if it works, yet. Trying not to overwhelm Max by too much picking at him.

Another groomer had ordered ear plugs, I haven't seen them but I am sure they are out there.
http://www.healthaccessories.com/ear_plugs.htm
I would get the silicone ones, they look like they adjust to size.

I also read some groomers don't even worry about the water because the dogs will shake it out. Max doesn't shake for some reason so I would have to shake it out myself. Haven't gotten confident enough to try that way. Some grommers even flush their ears out with water (groomers pages).

I noticed his ears need cleaning so I will try the vineger and water this evening.

They also say to put some vaseline below the eyes so that the tear can not stain the face. I guess so the vaseline can act as a repelant. (read that on a breeders pages)

I am taking it really slow with Max because I dont want him to hate the grooming.

Also, I just read that a dogs ears are pretty much like ours except shaped in an "L", as long as you make sure the water is out of the ear, you should be ok.

I found this to be interesting...they wrote it about human todlers, but then I read the same stuff for dogs.

"There are a couple of ways to prevent swimmer's ear. One is to make sure the ears get dry after being in the water. This can be facilitated by turning the head and gently pulling the ear in different directions to help drain the water out of the ear. It is also very helpful to dry the opening of the ear very carefully as far as you can reach with a towel. If swimmer's ear becomes a recurrent problem, you can put a few drops of rubbing alcohol in each time it becomes wet, to facilitate drying. Another good alternative is instilling a few drops of white vinegar. The acetic acid inhibits the growth of bacteria in the skin.""

Sorry so long, but I am learning as I go, too...figured I would share some bits of the stuff I have been reading.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I have my own bathing question: Do you fill the sink/bathtub with water and shampoo, and then stand your pup in the water and use that water to bathe her, or do you wet them down and apply the shampoo directly to their body?

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have my own bathing question: Do you fill the sink/bathtub with water and shampoo, and then stand your pup in the water and use that water to bathe her, or do you wet them down and apply the shampoo directly to their body?[/B]

I think generally you brush them first, water them down, then put the shampoo on. That's what I always read to do and what I do with Chulita.

She takes a bath in the sink because she is so small.

·
Registered
452 Posts
I have my own bathing question: Do you fill the sink/bathtub with water and shampoo, and then stand your pup in the water and use that water to bathe her, or do you wet them down and apply the shampoo directly to their body?[/B]

I think generally you brush them first, water them down, then put the shampoo on. That's what I always read to do and what I do with Chulita.

[/B]
I did the same b/c when I tried to fill the sink (matrix is small enough for the sink) up with water...he began drinking it and I didn't want him to drink shampoo water so I opened the drain before I shampooed him.

·
Registered
802 Posts
yeah, no doggy swimming pools. Brush, water down, soap up, rinse, condition rinse, towel down and blow dry.

I got the faucet hose attachment from PetSmart ($30), it allows you to spray the water when needed. Also, a slip proof mat so their little feet dont go in the drain.

I cleaned his ears last night. Half vineger and half water with a cosmetic cotton circle. He was trying to make me stop but eventually calmed down a little bit. The solution worked great.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

[/B]
I did the same b/c when I tried to fill the sink (matrix is small enough for the sink) up with water...he began drinking it and I didn't want him to drink shampoo water so I opened the drain before I shampooed him.
[/B]

Yeah the sink is NEVER filled with water. I don't even keep it running because I think it makes her a little nervous. I shampoo her up while my daughter give her tiny bits of a treat and tells her what a good girl she it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts