Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
or any of the Nutro Brands and treats....they have Nutro MAX Puppy Drumsticks as well

Opinions Please. :D

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Rex likes the puppy drumsticks. His favorite Nutro treat is the Lamb and Rice sticks. He didnt like the tartar control biscuits (which I had to break up because they are huge) and he didnt like the Nutro Ultra biscuits either, again they are huge and I had to break them up he still wouldnt eat them. He doesnt like many dog biscuits though. I would recommend the Nutro Lamb and Rice sticks though as Rex run to me whens he hears me crinkle the bag!

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
Valletta loves the puppy drumsticks. We call them chicken legs. I stick one in a kong and she's good for an hour trying to get it out.

·
Registered
7,621 Posts
My dogs eat Nutro Natural Choice Lamb/Rice.....

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Mine are crazy for the Solid Gold tiny tots. Their first ingredient is lamb. I break one of them up and give them to the three of mine once a day for a good reward

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Originally posted by saltymalty@Nov 18 2005, 12:27 AM
Valletta loves the puppy drumsticks.  We call them chicken legs.  I stick one in a kong and she's good for an hour trying to get it out.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=120790
[/QUOTE]

You know I was looking at the box yesterda and wondering if they would fit in her tiny kong because they looked kind of small. She has the really tiny red kong. Now that you say I think I WILL DEF. get them now...today after work even. LOL Chulita gets those suckers out the kong in under 5 mins. She's a Pro. I wish it would take her a hour to get them out like your puppy...that way she would be entertained longer.

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
Kodie was on Nutro at one time... someone told me it wasnt THAT natural at all like they calm it is.

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
he was on it for about a month or so i think... not long at all... i then switched him to Hill's l/d because he was having liver count issues... so for a normal dog... i would have switched to a more natural food... such as what lexi's mom is feeding her girls. I believe she posted it in the food section of the forum in the pinned thread I started about the types of foods. Let me know if you cant find it.

·
Registered
7,621 Posts
my dogs do very well on it.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
I have mine on a mix of the Nutro Natural Choice Lamb & Rice small bites and Chicken Soup for the Pet Lover's Soul. I like Nutro because it just gives them both the shiniest pretty looking coats and their stool is firm and they aren't pooping 20 times a day like they were on some other stuff. I started mixing in the Chicken Soup just to make sure they were getting all the good stuff they needed. I think the Nutro Natural Choice is a fine food.

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
Originally posted by Mystify79@Nov 18 2005, 09:24 PM
I have mine on a mix of the Nutro Natural Choice Lamb & Rice small bites and Chicken Soup for the Pet Lover's Soul.  I like Nutro because it just gives them both the shiniest pretty looking coats and their stool is firm and they aren't pooping 20 times a day like they were on some other stuff.  I started mixing in the Chicken Soup just to make sure they were getting all the good stuff they needed.  I think the Nutro Natural Choice is a fine food. 

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=121062
[/QUOTE]
everyone told me on here that it has ingrediants that all processed dog foods have which are bad for them... I forget he ingrediant... i'll have to look it up. The man at petsmart told me it was healthy... but I dunno... I think all dog food is weird.. haha

I will say that kodie DID eat the Nutro... cause he was a picky eater and I couldnt find anything he liked.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Here are the ingredients for Nutro Natural Choice Lamb & Rice.
Lamb Meal, Ground Rice, Rice Flour, Rice Bran, Sunflower Oil (preserved with mixed Tocopherols, a source of natural Vitamin E), Poultry Fat (preserved with mixed Tocopherols, a source of natural Vitamin E), Natural Flavors, Rice Gluten, Dried Egg Product, Dried Beet Pulp (sugar removed), Potassium Chloride, L-Lysine, Dried Kelp (source of Iodine), Salt, Choline Chloride, Zinc Sulfate, Vitamin E Supplement, Taurine, Ferrous Sulfate, Ascorbic Acid (source of Vitamin C), Biotin, Copper Proteinate, Niacin, Manganous Oxide, Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement (source of Vitamin B2), Vitamin A Supplement, Glucosamine Hydrochloride, Chondroitin Sulfate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (source of Vitamin B6), Thiamine Mononitrate (source of Vitamin B1), Vitamin D3 Supplement, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex (source of Vitamin K activity), Calcium Iodate, Folic Acid.[/B]
I think food is a personal choice. You need some trial and error to see what works best for your dogs. Tuffy and Pixie aren't picky about what they eat.. they love any kind of kibble. But Tuffy just can't stomach really "rich" holistic foods. He had a terrible time on Flint River with diarrhea and vomiting. I took him to the vet so many times I can't count, had so many tests run on him and they were never able to get to the root of the issue. Pixie's breeder suggested Nutro so I gave it a shot.. I never had considered that his tummy issues might be food related. Sure enough, the Nutro solved the problems. Oddly enough, I was really worried about the beet pulp in the Nutro but Tuffy has less tear staining on Nutro than he ever did on Flint River. I just recently started mixing in Chicken Soup just to supplement them and the mix of the two has worked like a charm. It took almost two years for me to find foods that worked.. and several months to find stuff that worked for both of the dogs.

·
Registered
7,621 Posts
Well....my dogs haven't died yet.

I know other people who feed their dogs a lot worse....

·
Registered
7,621 Posts
Originally posted by Kodie@Nov 18 2005, 10:06 AM
he was on it for about a month or so i think... not long at all... i then switched him to Hill's l/d because he was having liver count issues... so for a normal dog... i would have switched to a more natural food... such as what lexi's mom is feeding her girls.  I believe she posted it in the food section of the forum in the pinned thread I started about the types of foods.  Let me know if you cant find it.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=120828
[/QUOTE]

OH...and she's not saying the FOOD cause the liver issues....

·
Registered
274 Posts
My two are on Nutro Natural Lamb and Rice small bites too! Kylie is very picky, so when I found she would eat this, I stuck with it... I've tried feeding them California Natural (I think that's it, supposed to be very good), but Kylie won't touch it... I'm sticking with it for now because I have no idea what she will and won't eat and I'm not wasting money on an entire bag of food that she decides isn't good enough.. LOL!
Jess

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Seems like this Food got some decent feed back from this Forum

As you all know by now I have my Chulita on the Purina Puppy Chow that the breeder was feeding her and I kept her on (NOT KNOWING ANY BETTER UNTIL I FOUND THIS SITE) Someone also suggest Innova (sp) and I had to ORDER it on line because I couldn't find it in the stores here yet keep coming accross the Nutro brand. I have no choice but to deal with the Innova brand because it was already shipped out to me and I'm not going to spend money to have it shipped back. Hopefully she will like it and eat it. IF not I DO PLAN on buying the Nutro Brand. :D I did buy her the Puppy Nutro Treats...they look like little drumb sticks. I just bought it yesterday. Gave her one and she kept sniffing it and looking at it...took her a bit to really start eating it. I was like GREAT I just bought this big box of it and now she don't like it. But she finally ate the whole thing. I'm going to keep giving her the treats and see what happens. I was giving her the kong treats that go in the Kong and she goes nuts with that. But I don't want to feed her those anymore I much rather give her the Nutro Brand Puppy Treats.

THANKS GUYS

THANKS CARRIE! :D

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
Originally posted by Mystify79@Nov 19 2005, 11:45 AM
Here are the ingredients for Nutro Natural Choice Lamb & Rice.
Lamb Meal, Ground Rice, Rice Flour, Rice Bran, Sunflower Oil (preserved with mixed Tocopherols, a source of natural Vitamin E), Poultry Fat (preserved with mixed Tocopherols, a source of natural Vitamin E), Natural Flavors, Rice Gluten, Dried Egg Product, Dried Beet Pulp (sugar removed), Potassium Chloride, L-Lysine, Dried Kelp (source of Iodine), Salt, Choline Chloride, Zinc Sulfate, Vitamin E Supplement, Taurine, Ferrous Sulfate, Ascorbic Acid (source of Vitamin C), Biotin, Copper Proteinate, Niacin, Manganous Oxide, Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement (source of Vitamin B2), Vitamin A Supplement, Glucosamine Hydrochloride, Chondroitin Sulfate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (source of Vitamin B6), Thiamine Mononitrate (source of Vitamin B1), Vitamin D3 Supplement, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex (source of Vitamin K activity), Calcium Iodate, Folic Acid.
But Tuffy just can't stomach really "rich" holistic foods. He had a terrible time on Flint River with diarrhea and vomiting. I took him to the vet so many times I can't count, had so many tests run on him and they were never able to get to the root of the issue. <div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=121178
[/B][/QUOTE]
true.. kodie doesnt seem to be able to take FRESH veggies... it gives him horrible gas that doesnt come out... so then hes panting and shaking and having attacks... i can only give him baby food. It's just an example how you have to try things out to see what your baby can handle! Like I said... I thought the nutro was good because kodie ACTUALLY ate it! Other people told me it wasnt that good for him.

·
Registered
802 Posts
I am feeding the Nutro Ultra Holistic Puppy food in the white bag. That is supposed to be more natural? I am still giving him half Eukenuba, until the 20 lb bag is gone.

I got the Max drumstick treats, too. Max will break them in little pieces through out the house, then walk around finding bits here and there and eating them. He doesn't go crazy for them, but he does eat them. Good, because I want to keep his teeth clean. My friends malti never ate biscuits and lost his teeth eventually.

I had my lhasa (years ago) on Iams Lamb and rice, and I will tell you. She maintained her puppy personality and appearance late into her years.

I am going to check out Cotscos brand foods, I have read in a few different places that they are good.

Also, I was peeking in on a puppy training group in PetSmart this week, and I heard the trainer say to have different kinds of treats because they get bored with the same treats. I also got my pup the smoked bacon strips...he goes nuts for those.

Also, the trainer was using the Kong to get their attention while training. I also read the kong is a good way to crate train, put it in the crate as a positive experience in the crate.

Last also, another tip I read, no matter how healthy a food is, it does you no good if the dog doesn't like it. So, we obviously check with our pups on that.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts