Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We also just had a "collar problem" which scared us very badly...

Thursday evening the boys were getting rowdy and were wrestling.
One of the ways they “play fight” is by grabbing some of the excess hair on the face or neck. Somehow Rocky got his lower jaw under Max’s collar. It was stuck there pretty well… apparently the collar was impaled on one of the canines. Anyway, the normal growling turned to something indicating something much more serious was occurring.

I got there first and Max was being choked to death. The collar was pulled so tight I couldn’t do anything to release it. I wanted to untwist them, which would release a lot of the pressure, but they were both absolutely frantic and both are fairly large for a Maltese
So even that was not easy. Peg then got scissors and we got them somewhat untwisted and Peg was able to cut the collar off.

The problem was solved at this point but I wasn’t sure about either pup. Rocky had a little blood on his hair and Max was breathing but making noises and was obviously still hurting some. We were just about to take off to a 24 hr vet in the area when I decided to call a doctor friend who also has a Maltese. She was of the freeway just a couple miles away and came straight over. She was here in a couple of minutes by which time we had checked them out fairly well and could see no one was seriously hurt. We never actually found where the small amount of blood came from but we think it was probably from Rocky’s gums. His teeth are all there and secure. Max’s throat was obviously hurt but in the space of several minutes, he was obviously feeling better.

After the pups were obviously okay, Peg nearly lost it when she realized how close we were to loosing one or both.

Everyone is fine now but we will never again put a collar on either dog. Both are micro chipped and would hopefully be identified should it ever come to that.

We use harnesses when we go for a walk. I’ve not always immediately taken the harness off after a walk and we have had the dogs manage to get its harness in its mouth, leading to problem… although much less of a problem than what occurred in this case.

Steve & Peg

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
geez, thats so scary. when we got gruffi we used to keep all their collars on them...just in case they were to run away---but the girls hair always got knotted up and gruffi would hear the jingle of his collar all day long. i felt bad for them. it took us maybe a month, but we taught all three that if the door opens---they aren't allowed to walk out till they hear the 'okay' command. i havent tested them to see how long it takes...but the door is always closed in uder a minute. my brother taught his sharpei, one day the front door didnt close all the way, simba (his sharpei)just stood there guarding the door. lol. they also have a courtyard with a gate...but simba just stood at the entrance of the door standing and waiting. he's smart.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Hey everyone,
I am so glad to hear that Max and Rocky ended up okay, but what a scare that must have given you!
I don't get my Zoe for another two and 1/2 weeks and I didn't plan on having her wear a collar. The only problem is is that she won't be microchipped for quite some time. I don't plan on ever leaving her alone anywhere but being the paranoid mom I am, I still feel scared about the fact that she won't be wearing tags. Am I being overprotective...is it okay to leave her without tags on? I guess the thing to do is really teach her that it is not okay to exit through an open door without an okay command.
What are everyone's thoughts?
Thanks

·
Registered
42 Posts
My dogs only wear their collars when we are travelling.

Another thing to be cautious with are the S hooks that are used for rabies tags. I saw an article in Dog Fancy many years ago where two dogs were playing and one's eyelid got caught in the S hook.

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
i hate the tag rings that they give. im thinking of going to the 99 cent store or something and buying a keychain and using that ring. keychain rings seem really durable.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts