Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the last week or so I have noticed that my CD burner drive is missing in the folder MY COMPUTER. (I'm using windows xp) I didnt really pay much attention to it because I didnt need to use it.. but last night I needed to burn all my stuff off of my computer but my computer keeps saying that my CD burner is not there.
I put a blank CD in the drive and the orange light appears but then after it is shut... the light disappears and thats it. It doesnt do anything. I havent done anything different... so why did the drive disappear to begin with?! I'm not good with hardware so i'm just guessing that maybe the drive went bad? I opened up the computer and everything looks connected.
When you do into device manager... my CD burner drive has a big RED X over it... meaning its disabled. It will not allow me to enable it either. Anyone have ideas?

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
Is it external or a internal one? If its external try unplugging it and rebooting & then plug it back in.Or you can click on Find drivers ,& it will find them.Sometimes you have to reinstall the drivers.I dont know if this will help maybe someone smarter with puters will help if this doesnt work.Good luck!

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
sheila2182, is correct. you will need to reset your burner. So remove it an put it back.
Then install the drivers again. Hopfully you have the cd for the burner or disk. Run it and reinstall the drivers. If you do not have the drivers. seach for it on the internet and download. This should fix the problem. Rember after you have instlled the drivers to reboot the computer..

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
If you don't know anything about hardware I wouldn't suggest unhooking the internal hard drive and hooking it back up again. You might mess something up. The inside of a computer is delicate and you can fry the entire motherboard it you touch it with static electric hands (if you have a carpet near the computer or something like that). I would just reinstall the drivers and see if that works first. Then if that doesn't work I would take the computer somewhere and pay to have them do the stuff inside the computer.
If you really want to open the computer again and unhook and hook back up the burner, at least get one of those anti static bracelets for computers.

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ummm... I will try to play with it tonight after work... I might call Dell too.. Thanks for the ideas!

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I called Dell... and it looks like my Cd burner went bad... they are supposed to replace it today.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Aren't extended warrenties great? We always get the extended warrenty on our computers because very seldom does something go wrong in the first year. It is usually the second or third year something goes wrong.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Originally posted by Kodie@Jan 11 2005, 08:59 AM
For the last week or so I have noticed that my CD burner drive is missing in the folder MY COMPUTER.  (I'm using windows xp)  I didnt really pay much attention to it because I didnt need to use it.. but last night I needed to burn all my stuff off of my computer but my computer keeps saying that my CD burner is not there. 
  I put a blank CD in the drive and the orange light appears but then after it is shut... the light disappears and thats it.  It doesnt do anything.  I havent done anything different... so why did the drive disappear to begin with?!  I'm not good with hardware so i'm just guessing that maybe the drive went bad?  I opened up the computer and everything looks connected.
  When you do into device manager... my CD burner drive has a big RED X over it... meaning its disabled.  It will not allow me to enable it either.  Anyone have ideas?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=28942
[/QUOTE]
Uninstall the original copy of the software then I would reinsert the original CD for the burner drive and install it, follow the instructions, restart and it should be fine.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts