Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've feeding the girls home cooked meals about 2 months. They love it. I've been thinking about getting a bag of dog food though to give them in the morning sometimes. Nikki is 6 months old though and is supposed to be on puppy food still. Do you think it would be ok to give her the adult Innova dry food? Or should I get one for all ages? If so what is a good one? My local pet food store sells Innova, Chicken Soup, Wellness, and that one that starts with an A. I want to get something both girls can eat since 1 bag will last me a long time since they will only be eating dry food for 1 meal a day max.

·
Registered
17,045 Posts
I think you could go either way on this one. The only difference in adult VS puppy is the fat and calorie content. If both girls are active enough then they could both eat puppy. On the other hand, if you are worried that the older might gain weight you could give them both adult, since you are supplementing Nikki with the home cooked. I'm sure your main concern is to know they are both getting proper nutrition.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Originally posted by Holliberry@Oct 12 2005, 09:17 AM
Phoebe gets the Innova Evo right now, and I was told its all stages.  She likes it
  I'd think if you're feeding them in addition to this it might not make much difference between brands?  Thats awesome that you cook for them.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=108752
[/QUOTE]
They LOVE the home cooked meals. There is usually not even a grain of rice left on their plates. It is more work then giving then dry dog food but it isn't that bad. I usually make a months supply of food at a time for both of them. Right now I'm still in the process of finding out what they like. They love any of the recipes with meat and either rice or macaroni. Nikki will eat potatoes but Lexi doesn't like them.
Picky girl!

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Did you get the foodsaver? Is that how you're doing a month at a time? There is no way I could do this now with my time constraints but if I ever get the opportunity it would be something I'd love to try. Oh, and do you brush their teeth or do greenies or something? How long does it take to cook for the month? A day long project, a few hours?

Too many questions!

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Originally posted by Holliberry@Oct 12 2005, 09:17 AM
Phoebe gets the Innova Evo right now, and I was told its all stages.  She likes it
  I'd think if you're feeding them in addition to this it might not make much difference between brands?  Thats awesome that you cook for them.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=108752
[/QUOTE]

Don't you love Innova's Evo? It's the best food I've been able to feed Lady since she was diagnosed with diabetes 4 years ago.

I must confess to doing home cooking sporadically, but always giving up on it. Not only the work, I found it made her face so messy!

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Originally posted by LadysMom@Oct 12 2005, 09:31 AM
Don't you love Innova's Evo? It's the best food I've been able to feed Lady since she was diagnosed with diabetes 4 years ago.

I must confess to doing home cooking sporadically, but always giving up on it. Not only the work, I found it made her face so messy!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=108763
[/QUOTE]

Lets see, Phoebes face is always a mess, so I dont have to worry about that
she has the worst case of red face I have ever seen! Its mild around the eyes, its that all over beard redness that I can't figure out.

Phoebe seems to like the Evo well enough but she is not picky (eats poo lets not forget
) I've recently been worried though since she started chewing her paws these last few days. I dont know if thats due to the yeast infection in her ear, or some other treat she might be getting. I really dont want to have to change food

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Originally posted by Holliberry@Oct 12 2005, 09:27 AM
Did you get the foodsaver?  Is that how you're doing a month at a time?  There is no way I could do this now with my time constraints but if I ever get the opportunity it would be something I'd love to try.    Oh, and do you brush their teeth or do greenies or something?  How long does it take to cook for the month?  A day long project, a few hours? 

Too many questions!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=108760
[/QUOTE]
No I don't have a foodsaver. I'm hoping to get one for christmas. Right now I live in an apartment and have limited freezer space. This last time I did make a 2 months supply. I made months supply of ones I know they like and then another months worth of new recipes. Normally I do a lot of prep work so the actually cooking and assembling doesn't take more then a few hours. While I'm watching TV I label the snack size bags with the name of whats in it. I used to take out 5 days worth of food and put it in the fridge but I don't do that anymore so I can skip this step from now on. I also get any vitamins or supplements ready that I will need and put them into small ziplock bags. I grind up the multi-vitamin and add the bonemeal. That way I just have to dump them into the bowl when I'm making the recipe. This last time I counted out all of the snacksize bags (used for the individual portions) I would need and put them into a large ziplock bag. That helped because I had everything I needed in teh large bag (snackbags and the bags with the vitamins and minerals). About 2 nights before I'm going to do the assembling I make up the rice and macaroni I will need. While its cooking I watch TV or play with the girls. The night before I make up some of the meat. I try to cook it in the amounts needed for the recipes to help keep everything in the right portions. So if the recipe calls for 1/2lb of beef I cook only a 1/2lb of beef in the pot. To also save time I put the meat in the food processor after it is cooking and grind it up a little. That way I don't have to do it when I assemble things. On the day I do the assemble I try to have everything ready. That way all I'm doing is mixing and then dividing into portion size.

I won't lie it is definitly more work than feeding dry food but it only takes like 6 hours max (during like 3 of the 6 hours there is really nothing for you to do) to make enough food to last 2 dogs a month. I think I spend $20-25 a month per dog on food.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Congratulations on home cooking! I know it's not for everybody but don't you just love the way they eat so enthusiastically?

I free-feed Pico dry kibble along with two small homecooked meals daily (recommended for his MVD). A bag lasts a loooooonng time so I repackage it into gallon zipper freezer bags and keep them in the freezer to keep it fresh. For some reason he likes the kibble late at night and will start snacking on it around 9 or 9:30 pm.!

And yes, when it comes time to prepare his month's worth of homecooked meals I kinda dread it but once I get started it's not so bad. It's not messy but it seems to dirty a lot of dishes to wash. I've learned to cook the ingredients one day, grind and mix them and package the portions the next day for freezing. I make two recipes and alternate days with broccoli, cauliflower/chicken and sweet potatoe/chicken. Along with other ingredients, of course.

My husband and I both feel so much better seeing Pico actually clean his plate as soon as I put it down. He never did that with the canned l/d and I threw a lot away because it stayed down too long while he snubbed it.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I love seeing them get so much enjoyment out of eating. I always put them in their crates to eat while I take a shower. When they were eating dry food they would hardly ever finish it before I took them out. I would always have to take the food into the bathroom with us while I finished getting ready. Now it is very rare for them not to have licked their plates clean while I'm in the shower.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts