Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took Lacey back to the vet today. Last night I noticed a slight smell to her ears, her face was wet, and her breath wasn't smelling right. I have been very lucky with tearstaining so I knew when I saw her face something was up. The vet looked in her ears and they were a little bit red but nothing she was concerned with, but she decided to do a swap in each ear and look under the micro. Turns out that Lacey has another ear infection. This time she gave me Baytil Otic. She also told me she is starting to suspect food allergies. It doesn't help that hubby has been sneaking Lacey all kinds of different foods! So Lacey cannot have anything to eat except her dog food. She is eating the Natural Balance for allegies. She loves it but of course she wants people food. Hubby is out of town but as soon as I see him I am handing him the vet bill! Does anyone else have a little one that has ear infections. I do everything I can to keep them clean...pull the hair out of her ears, clean them with ear cleaner and do everything I can to keep water out of them. I don't like to over clean them or pull the hair out except about every 5 weeks. I have noticed that her left ear has a lot more hair inside then the right one and of course the left ear is the one that I have noticed that is always the worse one. Any help I would love to hear.

·
Registered
30 Posts
sorry off topic a bit here, but JMM where and when did you become so knowledgeable (sp). I love reading your threads and you have some brilliant advice. I just wanted to say that so back to the topic and please excuse this rude interuption

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
Originally posted by westiemaltese@Feb 8 2005, 10:58 PM
sorry off topic a bit here, but JMM where and when did you become so knowledgeable (sp). I love reading your threads and you have some brilliant advice. I just wanted to say that so back to the topic and please excuse this rude interuption 

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=34349
[/QUOTE]

LOL I grew up hanging out at the vet clinic, have worked there since I was 15, and have been actively into dogs since I was 12 (started showing at 15). I am a vet tech (unlicensed). Mikey, however, has been a huge education experience. What can go wrong has gone wrong. So, I've ended up doing a lot of research on eye, patella, and liver problems in Maltese.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Chelsey had an ear infection about three weeks after we brought her home. It was real bad. The vet gave us some drops to put in her ears for the infections. Took three weeks to clear up. One ear was worst then the other. I asked the vet if I should use cleaning solutions after baths.. and she told me no. Also I do remove the hair in her ears about once a month , but she does not have much. I also put cotton in her ears that tend to fall out when I give her a bath.

So far it has not come back.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Holli always had ear infections as a puppy (I cant believe I remember this far back). Anyway they cleared up for good once I figured out it was bath water causing them. I know some folks have used some water removing drops that work, but I have only used q-tips and she never had another one once I was faithful to dry them after every bath. The vet said q-tips are ok if you dont shove them in there hard but I dont know if everyone agrees with that. I made sure to do the inside part of the ear real well, and then stick it in the canal a little bit, very GENTLY.

I stopped taking the hairs out eventually too. I would just pull it taught with my fingers and cut it off instead of the plucking thing. I dont know what other people would say to that but she never had any ear trouble again.

If they are re-occuring often it could be that its the same one but hasnt been cleared up. In that case I would ask the vet if a checkup right after the medicine ends would help determine if its gone.

This is of course if its not because of allergies.

Good luck!

janet

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks all for the advice. I agree with you JMM - I don't want to overpluck the hair in her ears. Just don't know how much is enough and when it is to much. I can say for certain that she has a lot of hair growth in the left ear. The right ear hardly has any. Told hubby no more people food until we figure out what is causing the little princess to have these ear infections. She isn't to happy about only eating her dry kibble, but oh well. She hasn't ate much in the past two days but she has lots of energy. To be on the safe side I gave her some Nutrical this morning before I went to work. Hubby is out of town so Lacey will be at home for the next couple of days while I am at work. She has two cats to keep her busy. So for now I will put the ear stuff in her ears and hope that takes care of it. I do like the advice about taking her back to vet when we are done with the medication and see if the infection is cleared up. I will call the vet tomorrow and see what they say. I don't know if I should wait a couple of days after we stop the medication or the day we stop. I am sure the vet can tell me. I do try to keep her ears dry. The cotton in her ears while bathing doesn't work. She shakes her head until it comes out. She is perfectly good in the bathtub unless I do that. Isn't it just amazing how these little ones become just as important as your human children? My coworkers think I am nuts how I brag about her!

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
My old dog, not a maltese but had floppy drop ears, used to get them all the time like he had one more often then he didnt it was just awful what we ended up doing was never stopping using to medication for the ear infection even when he didnt have one that stuff i got i dont remember what it was called but it was 2 parts a liquid that you wiped the ears out with and then a ointment (looked like neosporine althought i doubt it was) and just so long as we kept doing it at least once a week, every day when he had and infection, they stayed away it was kinda a pain to keep up with but nothing to tricky lol

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
I give my babies carrots as treats. I'm sure SOME healthy human foods are ok for them. Or wait until things clear up first.

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
I don't want to overpluck the hair in her ears. Just don't know how much is enough and when it is to much.

If you put a little R7 ear powder in her ear and use your fingers, not hemostats, you won't pull out any hair that isn't supposed to come out. You want to just pull hair from the ear canal itself, not the flap around it (ouch!).

My Lady has food allergies, too. The biggest allergens in dog food are corn, soy and wheat so read labels carefully. Cloud's mom suggested baby carrots which is a great idea. Lady loves her green beans and even sweet peppers. Those are usually safe snacks. I put them in a treat dispensing toy like her Busy Buddy Twist and Treat and she thinks veggies are wonderful!

Sometimes dogs can be allergic to the protien source in food. Lamb used to be the "safe" meat, but it's used so much in dog food now, dogs have become allergic to it, too. Then you have to get creative. I know many who have had great luck with the duck & potato formulas. My neighbor's Westie has to have a kangaroo meat based food!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hi everyone!

This is my first time posting..

I was wondering if anyone has heard of Otomax? Bailey has some sort of infection in her ear and the vet prescribed this. However, I was reading the package insert and under warnings it states that it has been linked with partial, temporary deafness (in geriatric dogs). Bailey is almost 10 mos and almost 4 lbs. Should I be worried?

Thanks in advance!!

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
my vet used otomax all the time and we never seen a problem with it. so dont be worried...plus hes not geriatric.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Thank you Lady Montava and JMM for your quick replies.. This was my first time at this vet and I just wanted to some reassurance from the people who post here and give great advice!

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Took Lacey back to the vets on Friday to check her ears. I should say hubby took Lacey to the vets on Friday, I had the flu. One of Lacey's ears still has an infection. My vet took another swap of both ears and said she would call in 4 days with the results and I should start the drops in the ears again that Lacey was on. As I said my hubby took her to the vet and when I ask him any questions I get "I don't know." How come he can remember a business deal from 10 years ago but can't remember what the vet said? Oh well, going off topic here. Anyone have any ideals what kind of test the vet is doing? I did start putting the drops of the Baytril Otic back in both ears...don't know which ear is still infected...I think the left one but I thought I better be on the safe side and put in both.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by Laceys mom@Feb 27 2005, 12:00 PM
Took Lacey back to the vets on Friday to check her ears.  I should say hubby took Lacey to the vets on Friday, I had the flu.  One of Lacey's ears still has an infection.  My vet took another swap of both ears and said she would call in 4 days with the results and I should start the drops in the ears again that Lacey was on.  As I said my hubby took her to the vet and when I ask him any questions I get "I don't know."  How come he can remember a business deal from 10 years ago but can't remember what the vet said?  Oh well, going off topic here.  Anyone have any ideals what kind of test the vet is doing?  I did start putting the drops of the Baytril Otic back in both ears...don't know which ear is still infected...I think the left one but I thought I better be on the safe side and put in both.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=38139
[/QUOTE]

I don't know what it is with ears... My first Maltese, Rosebud, had ear problems all the time... yet KNOCK ON WOOD Kallie and Catcher have never had any problems at all. Wonder what causes this...

I think the tests will show if the cause of the problem is yeast, bacteria, etc. That way he can prescribe the proper medicine... Lady M or JMM... help us out here!

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I think I should have mentioned that the vet told me that both ears had a bacteria infection the last time. Just curious what kind of test the vet is running this time. The test alone cost $90.00, not complaining about the cost, if it gets to the root of the ear infections, just curious. Thanks for replying Kallies/Cathchers Mom!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts