Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of having this done. I hate shaving! I'm kind of a wimp sometimes when it comes to pain. I can have my eyebrows wax with no problems but not sure about waxing my legs. Any advice?

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Nah, as much as I hate it, I shave mine...i tried the home wax stuff, and it was useless...I like my husbands Mach3 razor..LOL...(shhhh!)

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
yeah, if you dont mind wearing pants...it totally works for you.

i wax my lower legs (i dont want to do my upper legs or BIKINI :eek: ) and i wax my under arms. it costs around $50-$60 each time i go (including a $10 tip).

and when the hair grows back, it itches. and now im having a problem with ingrown hair. i heard using a loofa works...im gonna ask when iget waxed again.

anyway, try it once at least.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The lady I'm thinking of going to charges $60 for full leg and $40 for half leg. Right now she is running a special: $45 for full leg and $30 for half leg. I would probably only get half leg done the first time. Not sure about under arms or bikini (that just sounds painful
).

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
WARNING--JOE DONT READ THIS!

Lexi's mom...I love you. I like this topic :D

I wax alot! I do it myself. My sister's an esthetician and she bought me a wax machine for my bday. I wax my armpits, my coochie, my upperlip and sometimes my belly and my sister HAS to wax my eyebrow b/c I'm too scared to shape it.

When you shave your pits, doesn't it itch like CRAZY when it grows out? It doesnt itch at all if you wax. I don't know why you're getting ingrown hair from waxing, but you shouldn't (Now I'm not so sure).
The worst pain is the upper lip. It hurts more than the coochie area! If you've always shaved...then it's gonna hurt the first like 5 times or something. But after that...no biggie. It's just a quick sting. If you shave, you have to do it almost everyday and it itches like CRAZY because the tip of the hair is so thick!
I don't do the legs. That's a waste of wax for me. Also, when I first waxed my legs, I didnt know what I was doing and, oh my, pure torture. I pulled the strip in the wrong direction
. I'm too traumatized to get my legs waxed. I dont mind shaving the legs.
Make sure the waxer has a big clientele! Make sure they're not NEW either! LOL.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Originally posted by ButterCloudandNoriko@Dec 14 2004, 02:10 PM
WARNING--JOE DONT READ THIS!

Lexi's mom...I love you.  I like this topic  :D

I wax alot!  I do it myself.  My sister's an esthetician and she bought me a wax machine for my bday.  I wax my armpits, my coochie, my upperlip and sometimes my belly and my sister HAS to wax my eyebrow b/c I'm too scared to shape it. 

When you shave your pits, doesn't it itch like CRAZY when it grows out?  It doesnt itch at all if you wax.  I don't know why you're getting ingrown hair from waxing, but you shouldn't (Now I'm not so sure). 
The worst pain is the upper lip.  It hurts more than the coochie area!  If you've always shaved...then it's gonna hurt the first like 5 times or something.  But after that...no biggie.  It's just a quick sting.  If you shave, you have to do it almost everyday and it itches like CRAZY because the tip of the hair is so thick! 
I don't do the legs.  That's a waste of wax for me.  Also, when I first waxed my legs, I didnt know what I was doing and, oh my, pure torture.  I pulled the strip in the wrong direction
.  I'm too traumatized to get my legs waxed.  I dont mind shaving the legs. 
Make sure the waxer has a big clientele!  Make sure they're not NEW either!  LOL.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=23096
[/QUOTE]

The waxer recently (last year or so) opened her own business. My manager has been going to her for a long time. She goes every 5-6 weeks during the winter and every 3 in the summer. I wear pants all the time during the winter and Mon-Fri during the summer (really cold in the office). I already stretch out shaving until I can't stand it. Once every week or two. Like I said I hate shaving. Bad experiences when I first started shaving. I used to cut myself all the time when I was shaving. OUCH!

·
Registered
15 Posts
well...you guys sure do stay on the "maltese subject" mannnn....
...but ill add a little comment *never shave your legs with a brand new razor if you are in a rush* ::eek:uch::

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Originally posted by Nichole@Dec 14 2004, 03:35 PM
I've done it, but I didn't care for it.  It wasn't the pain so much as it was the hair growing back, I can't stand letting the hair grow THAT LONG before I could wax again.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=23076
[/QUOTE]

Thats always been my proublem with it i always end up just shaving before the hair gets long enough to wax
i have tried to do it without the hair being long enought lol i waxed my whole lower leg twice in row becuase the hair wasnt coming off and i didnt know what i was doing wrong

·
Registered
499 Posts
I first used the Epilady over 25 years ago when they first came out. Hurt like h**l but oh, did it work. They now have new ones out that are much gentler, I now use the Silk Epil Eversoft by Braun. Hurts about as much as waxing--only the first few times, after that you get used to it. And only really have to defuzz about every 6 weeks. (hey, I been doing it for 20 years). Never did the underarms though, don't have the nerve for that. And I am way too old to shave/wax/epilate anything else-if you can't wear a thong anymore you don't need anything else bare!
Panasonic had a new device out last year, can't remember the name, but you basically sandpaper the hair off. Yes, I bought it. Felt like I burned my legs---sandblasted the skin right off my legs AND left the hair behind. Ouch!
Quincymom

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Originally posted by Quincymom@Dec 14 2004, 06:07 PM
Panasonic had a new device out last year, can't remember the name, but you basically sandpaper the hair off. Yes, I bought it. Felt like I burned my legs---sandblasted the skin right off my legs AND left the hair behind. Ouch!
Quincymom
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=23152
[/QUOTE]

There was some product at like wallgreens or something it was for removing hair on your upper lip basically it was a little nail file with a handle on the back you were supposed to "buff off" the hair with the nail file thing i was way to afride to try it

sound like a similar thing to what you mention onlyless high techy

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
quincymom----you are BRAVE!!! lol. my sis tried the epilady ONCE like 15 yrs ago and she screamed. lol.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Waxing hurts like a b**** to me! I have a pretty high tolerance of pain but I was literally crying when I had my legs done.. And then to make things worse, the hair grew back pretty fast, like within a week which to me was a total waste. I do the Nair stuff every once in a while if I want super silky smooth, but otherwise it's shaving for me. Oh and a word of warning, NEVER, NEVER, NEVER use Veet under your arms.. it burned my skin so bad that I actually had open welts there.. all this the day before my wedding!
It hurt so bad! But for eyebrows, you all should try threading. It is the best thing ever, it's so precise, barely hurts and lasts a long time. I have really sensitive skin on my face so I can't tolerate the wax up there, but I don't have any kind of redness or anything after threading, it's the best. I wish she could do it on my legs, but it would cost a bundle.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Originally posted by Nichole@Dec 14 2004, 06:37 PM
I got an Epilady for Christmas one year.  It pulled out one hair,  screamed and put it away for good!  LOL

I have also tried Nair.  It burns the first two layers of skin off my legs.  Then I got the bright idea to try it on "other areas."  Needless to say, I spent the next three nights sleeping with a sheet barely touching me! 

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=23181
[/QUOTE]
what is threading?

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
I use the Braun Epilsilk and I love it. I do everything except my brows with it. I even de-fuzz my forearms in the summer. I have noticed that the hair grows back at different rates (at least for me) so about every two weeks I'm into weed-whacking different parts of my body. And yes I even do my pits with it. The first time was bad....but nothing compared to childbirth 3 times!!! I just made sure I had a nice glass of wine, and soaked for a while in the whirlpool first. It's also very helpful if you exfoliate first (I love, love, love bare escentuals Liquid Loufa). The Braun cost around $100, so I figure it's already paid for itself. I do get my brows waxed because I just cannot shape them evenly. Has anyone had their brows threaded? I haven't tried this yet, but it sounds less painful.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts