Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone! Jack and I have been together for two weeks tomorrow!
I'm still desperately in love
and I think he's totally in love with me too!

As for Jack himself: He was 5.06 pounds last week at the vet (and when I hold him when standing on the scale today, I gain 5.5 pounds, so I bet he's still somewhere around there). He's a big boy! So fluffy, he looks even bigger than 5 pounds! :new_Eyecrazy:

The house-training is going well, I think. He still doesn't have any idea what the pee pads are for, and when I lead him to the one I want him to use, he just sits down and looks confused; or if he really has to pee, he freaks out and tries to get out the door.
But when I take him outside to the grass, he knows exactly what to do! So I just take him every few hours. He's had a few accidents, but decreasing over the past few days, which is good. Mostly, when he gets confused, he tries to pee on the fuzzy carpet in the living room -- it must look like grass!

When he sleeps, he has to be able to see me from whereever he is; either on the floor right by the bed, or at my feet in the bed itself. He's snuggly at first, then wanders away and lays all sprawly by himself.

Other things:

One of Jack's eyes is pink around 3/4 of its edges, instead of black-lined -- will this grow in, or do you think it's permanent?

Jack is very nervous around other dogs, at first, but then plays all right (after like an hour). If I socialize him with other toy dogs, will he eventually stop being so scared/nippy and standoffish?

His tear-stains are really quite terrible, and I've tried basically everything to clean them off, but basically they just lightened a little. It's okay.

He has this weird diggy thing that he does on the bedspread though, and in his little doughnut bed also -- really fast crazy digging motion, nose to the blanket, and then tries to bury his head in the -nothing- that he has just "dug up". I wonder if any of your babies do this? It's very weird. Is he making a "nest" or something?

Hmm. what else is going on with my little new baby? Generally, it's been pretty wonderful!
He has definitely bonded to me -- just like K/C's mom said that her Male pup did! He follows me every room I walk into; he cries when I get in the shower and he can't see me any more! He loves my dirty socks. He licks my nose in the mornings when I wake up! He cries when I leave him in his play area when I go to classes, but only for about a minute or two, and then he's silent almost all the rest of the time. (I stayed and listened one time to be sure that he didn't cry for an hour or something!!) I think he's getting used to the idea that I -WILL- come back every time!

Well, that's about all I can think of at the moment... WHEW!

Let me know what you all think!

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
aww!! Glad things are going so well!! As for the tear stains, I wouldn't worry about them since he's still just a pup and all the teething is probably causing some pain. TicTac's stains are terrible now too and I just found a few of his teeth are loose. They do grow up fast!!! I can't for the life of me remember how old Jack is. But Tic is 5 months and about 5.5 pounds now. He's a tank and he'll eat anything that gets in his way
Peanut's eyes never really showed any pink, but Tic's did and as time goes by I can see the black is getting darker. It's weird though because there seems to be a gap between the rim of his eyes and where his hair grows so it looks very pink around his eyes.

Socializing Jack is the best thing you can do!! He should begin to feel comfy around other dogs faster after he learns that he's safe and there is nothing to be afraid of. You're on the right track!!

Great to hear the update!! Thanks for sharing with us!! :D

Oh, I forgot, my dogs dig in bed too. They're just trying to get comfy.

·
Registered
4,856 Posts
Glad to hear things are going well for you.

Paris will be eight months old tomorrow. Once she had all of her baby teeth pulled, the majority of her tearstaining disappeared. She still has a tiny bit but not much.

Paris loves to dig. She will get between my legs and dig on my jeans or my t-shirt; she digs in bed before she settles down; she digs the blanket when on the couch; my son covered his face with his t-shirt yesterday and she started diggin on that; she digs...well, you get the picture. She is so funny to watch. She will start digging in one position and then practically flip herself around without stopping.

I wish I could bottle some of her energy and use it when I need it.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
What a great "report"..... You sure lucked out on him... that's for sure...

Regarding pottying.... you gotta get a word for him to associate with it..... As he starts urinating say a word... I use "hurry up"..... then say it until he is about done. Then praise when he is finished and give a little treat. I never used treats but a lot of people recommend it. And don't praise until he is finished or you may get him pottying every time you said "good boy"!!

Do this every time and eventually he'll go when you say the word(s). Catcher is so good about it. I also point to the pad... so if I point to the pad or in the direction of the room where it is, and say "hurry up"... off he goes and potties.... I did this with my first Malt, Rosebud and Kallie and now Catcher and it works like a charm!!! He caught on better than my two girls though and is more consistent with going when I say the words.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by cindysilver+Jun 16 2005, 10:22 PM-->
One of Jack's eyes is pink around 3/4 of its edges, instead of black-lined -- will this grow in, or do you think it's permanent?[/B]
It'll probably get black later.. he is still very young.

Originally posted by [email protected] 16 2005, 10:22 PM
Jack is very nervous around other dogs, at first, but then plays all right (after like an hour).  If I socialize him with other toy dogs, will he eventually stop being so scared/nippy and standoffish?
I would think that getting used to other dogs will reduce his fear. It might be good to go to an obedience class with him so he can be around other dogs.

Originally posted by [email protected] 16 2005, 10:22 PM
His tear-stains are really quite terrible, and I've tried basically everything to clean them off, but basically they just lightened a little.  It's okay.
I agree that it is no big deal. When they are teething there will be staining. I've never done anything about either of mine's staining. It just doesn't bother me at all. It really just about goes away after they are about a year old.

<!--QuoteBegin-cindysilver
@Jun 16 2005, 10:22 PM
He has this weird diggy thing that he does on the bedspread though, and in his little doughnut bed also -- really fast crazy digging motion, nose to the blanket, and then tries to bury his head in the -nothing- that he has just "dug up".  I wonder if any of your babies do this? It's very weird.  Is he making a "nest" or something?
Oh yes... the "digging to China".... some do it worse than others and it is very common. Kallie is a huge digger.. she will dig on anything and anyone... a lot! Catcher doesn't do it too much.

I'm so glad that things are going so well!!

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Its so smart to socialize them early. I didn't, and now Bella looks at other dogs like they are alien life forms. She is getting a little puppy sister in November, so that will be interesting to see. Bella digs at nothing too, she especially likes to dig on warm towels right out of the dryer. I don't know what she is digging for, but she will stop after a few minutes and just strut around like she's done something truly spectacular. Of course, i think everything she does is great, so I might be encouraging her

1 - 6 of 6 Posts