Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, OMG you’re not going to believe this and neither could I, until I did a double take: Sugarplum wagged her tail!!! (She’s a puppy mill rescue with some mental problems as a result). I know it might not sound like a very big deal because it’s usually a perfectly natural thing for a dog to do, but in a recent post I recall mentioning to Paulann (Abella’s mommy) that I didn’t ever recall Sugarplum wagging her tail. Well, about I half hour ago I walked in the door, home from work. For the past maybe 6 weeks, Sugarplum has been barking at me when I walk in the door. (I think she’s telling me she missed me, because she calms down and stops once I give her a few minutes of attention.) This might be too much info, but before I had the chance to feed her, I had to use the bathroom, she followed me there and waited for me. I asked her in a sweet, high pitched voice “You want me to feed you?” Her head perked up and her tail wagged once, but very hesitantly. I couldn’t believe it, so I talked like that to her again, asking “Are you hungry?” and she (hesitantly, again) wagged it!!! I am just so ecstatic, sorry if I bored you all with this being so long and detailed or gave too much info but to me this is a very big deal, I’ve had her for nearly nine months now and this is the first time I’ve seen this. 🙃💥🎉🎊🍾

·
Premium Member
1,087 Posts
I'm thinking there will be many more tail wags in your future from Sugarplum! 👍 😋

I once read this very true quote:
"A dog wags it's tail with it's heart" 💞
🐶🐾🌻

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think so too Paulann. I knew puppy mills were a bad thing, but until I saw the Oprah episode on YouTube from 2008 last December, I learned how very bad they were. The guest who heads a big puppy mill rescue organization stated that a sign of improvement in a puppy mill rescue is when they wag their tail. And just a few minutes ago, she jumped up on my daughter’s lap without being prompted, and I wasn’t in the room.

·
Super Moderator
9,668 Posts
That is great. I hope SugarPlum continues to adjust and thrives.

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
high pitched voice “You want me to feed you?” Her head perked up and her tail wagged once, but very hesitantly. I couldn’t believe it, so I talked like that to her again, asking “Are you hungry?” and she (hesitantly, again) wagged it!!! I am just so ecstatic, sorry if I bored you all with this being so
> “Are you hungry?” and she (hesitantly, again) wagged it!!! I am just so ecstatic, sorry if I bored you all with this being so<<
Aw, Sweetie, that is so wonderful!! I congratulate you. Gaining Sugar Plums love and trust is a momentous!!

Lainie

·
Premium Member
4,905 Posts
In my opinion Sugarplum wagging her tail is a momentous occasion. Wow! I’m so happy for you and Sugarplum especially. Her barriers are breaking down and she hesitantly trusts you. I’m sure more has come since this post. She deserves all the happiness that little tail can wag about.
She’ll be up on your lap soon if she hasn’t been already. Your daughter must have been thrilled.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes Dixie’s Mama, good choice of words using hesitantly trusts. For the past few months she has been following me all around the condo, getting close, but not too close. For example, she always sleeps in my bed with me, but she sleeps at the head end, opposite corner from my side. She would also occasionally sit on the sofa when I have, but usually on the other end, however, for the past few weeks she has been sitting right next to me sometimes, and has also jumped up right next to me with some prompts. I don’t know if you saw another post of mine in this thread, but I also mentioned how Sugarplum jumped up on my daughter’s lap without being prompted, and I wasn’t even in the room, but I was nearby and I heard her do it. I wouldn’t have thought she would have done that because she doesn’t know my daughter as well as me, and I also would have thought if she did jump up on her lap that she might have done it when I was nearby.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts