Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Originally posted by mylittlebella@Mar 28 2005, 06:10 PM
I just heard about this on the news...I would start running right about now!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=46955
[/QUOTE]

Interested in a little science lesson?

I'm a college student.
Coincidentally, my Earth Sci professor was saying this morning in class that there can be frequent, serious aftershocks for up to a year after a big quake. (This was before the news of the second quake broke so, I guess he was right!)

He was saying that the Indonesian people right now are on edge with every tremor, fearing another disaster. However, they can't even start working towards normalcy yet, because the governments are unwilling to start rebuilding, because the quakes just keep coming.

I don't know about you, but I can't fathom what a 9.0 level earthquake really feels like. (No quakes here in Texas.)
But, I found an interesting website about it. "The energy release of a 9.0 earthquake is about 133 exajoules. The total energy consumed in the United States in 1985 was 79.8 exajoules. Converting it into explosive equivalents we get 32,000 million tons of TNT. 1 megaton is a largish H bomb, so think about 32,000 of them. I doubt the total potential weapons yield on the planet is that large."

Source: How big is 9.0 ??

Remember these people in your prayers tonight.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I read an article on CNN yesterday that came out in early March. It was about how some scientists were saying there would probably be another major quake in Indonesia soon.

I just found that interesting.

Edit: Death toll is at 330

1 - 8 of 8 Posts