Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tonight my mom came over just as I was finishing giving both dogs a bath. So we got to talking about how soft of a coat Wally has compared to Aaden's (Wally's littermate--my brother's dog). Then my mom asked if Wally sheds a lot. I said no where near as much as Aaden does; you pet Aaden and the hair just falls off. My mom is constantly vacuuming.

Then we started talking about Toby's coat. I said that supposedly he has a cotton coat. (I have only seen one other malt who had what was supposed to be a silky coat, and if that was silky, I'll gladly take a cottony coat any day--it was like wire and kind of coarse. By the way, this was a championed dog.) I got to thinking about it, and the more I thought about it, the more I truly believe that their coat is a direct reflection of what they eat.

When we first got Wally, I fed him the cheapest stuff out there (that was before I knew better) and he shed all over the place. Now that he eats better food, he rarely sheds and his coats shines beautifully.

Toby has always eaten high quality food, so I can't really comment on that, however, if he does have the dreaded cottony coat, his hair is soft and silky. So if he does have the cottony coat, I believe the better quality food has made his hair more manageable.

I will say in Aaden's defense, he is currently on a prescription diet food from the vet and once he looses the weight, my mom will switch him over to a better food. Hopefully she will go with what I feed Wally and Aaden.

I guess I am rambling, but I just thought I would share this in case there is anyone out there who thinks that high priced food isn't worth it.

·
Premium Member
13,652 Posts
That's a very good point Nicole, but what do you do if you have such a fussy little guy like Scooby and he just will not eat anything that comes in a bag or a can.
I have tried everything to get him to eat the best quality dog food but to no evail.
I know it's not because I did anything bad either because it began from the day I brought him home, he simply will not eat dog food unless we force him to and then it is just a very small amount. He will gobble up anything we eat so his diet consists mainly of vegetables, rice, chicken and steak with a few kibble if he is in the mood to eat them. I have to say though he never sheds and his coat is lovely and he is very healthy as the vet tells us.
He loves plain yoghurt, a little cottage cheese, and his liver treats which I might add he only gets on very special occasions. Another of his favorites it Science Diet chicken and vegetable jerky strips and the chicken or turkey jerky. He loves raw carrot as a treat too.
I guess as long as he has a good balance and I always have nutrical on hand to make sure if he doesn't eat well on a day that he has some of that. I have to admit I have never ever had such a fussy little dog in my life and it is very frustrating at times for both hubby and I trying to get him to at least eat something that is good for him from the commercial range. We have been told to put the food down and take it up after half an hour and nothing in between, well that doesn't bother him in the least, he just doesn't eat anything that way.

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Great points, Nicole! As they say, you are what you eat!

Lady had a really lousy coat when I first adopted her. She has a cottony coat naturally, but it was dull and really felt like cotton. Today, even though she has so many health problems, her coat is soft and the hair on her body really shines. People often comment on what a pretty coat she has!

Most of the Maltese I see in "real life" don't have the proper Maltese coat, either. In fact, Lady's coat is better than most of them! I have seen one Maltese locally with a to-die-for-coat, cool to the touch as JMM said it should be and with the texture of spun silk. It just floated when he moved. (Lady's bounces!)

Good nutrition also helps the inside, too. I absolutely swear that good food and all the supplements I give Lady have really contributed to the fact that Lady continues to do well at age 10 despite diabetes, and all her other ailments!

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
I'm shedding right now, maybe I need to switch my food

I have also noticed a huge difference, Rex's hair is a lot better than when we got him, he was eating el-cheapo dog food when we got him too. The vet said some of the cheap food contains a lot of artificial colors that will actually bleed into the hair. After his big hair cut in the summer, he doesnt have that cottony coat anymore. He has the more silky and it is a little rough. He is from champion bloodlines as well. On the bright side he doesnt mat like he used to, but he tends to look stringy after he runs around a plays a bit.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
I think you are very right about coats and food. Bellas hair was good when I got her, but a few months after I switched her to a premium food, it was great! The same goes for Harley, her hair is just getting softer and softer.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
My neighbors all feed their dogs food like Iams and their dogs have a lot rougher coats. Everyone is always commenting on how soft the girls coats are. I think it is a combination of the food and the grooming products.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Originally posted by RexsMom@Oct 12 2005, 09:06 AM
I'm shedding right now, maybe I need to switch my food 

I have also noticed a huge difference, Rex's hair is a lot better than when we got him, he was eating el-cheapo dog food when we got him too.  The vet said some of the cheap food contains a lot of artificial colors that will actually bleed into the hair.  After his big hair cut in the summer, he doesnt have that cottony coat anymore.  He has the more silky and it is a little rough.  He is from champion bloodlines as well.  On the bright side he doesnt mat like he used to, but he tends to look stringy after he runs around a plays a bit.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=108745
[/QUOTE]

I shed every morning when I brush my hair!

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Originally posted by Lexi's Mom@Oct 12 2005, 10:29 AM
My neighbors all feed their dogs food like Iams and their dogs have a lot rougher coats.  Everyone is always commenting on how soft the girls coats are.  I think it is a combination of the food and the grooming products.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=108794
[/QUOTE]

Yeah, the right grooming products do make a huge difference.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Originally posted by LadysMom@Oct 12 2005, 11:01 AM
Yeah, the right grooming products do make a huge difference.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=108808
[/QUOTE]

First, I do want to apologise to you for comments I made last week, I was totally out of character and I was having a
whacko moment!
Second, products...could be a problem, Rex is on prescription shampoo. I have tried different things, but everything seems to irritate his skin.

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
I am anxious to see how my little foster maltese, Kirby, will look after a few months of quality food. I can already tell his muscle tone is better from getting to run around during the day and get exercise. He gets some extra vitamins too.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
chelsey and chester are eating good quality food. Chelsey hair is everywhere i was even saying to my husban gee what would we have don if we gotten short haired puppies. I even use a special shampoo for before blest the best to help with the sheding. I can see her hair fly evey time she shakes. chester hardly looses any hair at all. so I have roller in each room cause I wear a lot of black clothing. I think she is loosing more now because she is in a short coat... i don't rember that much when her hair was longer.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
chelsey and chester are eating good quality food. Chelsey hair is everywhere i was even saying to my husban gee what would we have don if we gotten short haired puppies. I even use a special shampoo for before blest the best to help with the sheding. I can see her hair fly evey time she shakes. chester hardly looses any hair at all. so I have roller in each room cause I wear a lot of black clothing. I think she is loosing more now because she is in a short coat... i don't rember that much when her hair was longer.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
I believe the food plays a big role in healthy hair too! When I changed my babies food to Royal Canin Yorkie's Formula, I saw a difference in Cloud and Noriko's hair! It was shinier and it knotted less!

If your baby is a picky eater, maybe you can add a spoonful of Flaxseed oil in their kibble. That's one ingredient that makes the hair healthier.

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
Great point Nichole. And it really makes sense. After all humans have better skin, hair and nails when they eat a healthy diet. So should dogs.

·
Premium Member
949 Posts
Originally posted by msmagnolia@Oct 12 2005, 06:03 PM
Great point Nichole.  And it really makes sense.  After all humans have better skin, hair and nails when they eat a healthy diet.  So should dogs.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=108981
[/QUOTE]
My comment is about food, but reletive to ummmmm GAS
Dixie was a constant source of foul immissions
until I began feeding her natures recipe canned [carved] lamb and rice , and turkey and rice [in combination with Nuto's chicken and oatmeal kibble for sensetive tummys]. i don't know if these are the best choices when it comes to tear staining and coat, but i saw a difference in her digestive track right away. I also have a sheltie whom has always had a sensetive tummy [vomitting] and this combo has been perfect for him as well.

·
Registered
776 Posts
I feed Jack Nutro Max Puppy chow, and he really likes it (better than Eukanuba, anyway...) but he DOES poop a lot. Maybe I should try one of these other varieties? Also, he stains a lot, and i noticed that Nutro Max is pretty dark red in color. Is there one I should try for him that doesn't have beets or dyes or anything?

·
Registered
5,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Originally posted by Fach+Oct 12 2005, 07:06 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-msmagnolia
@Oct 12 2005, 06:03 PM
Great point Nichole.  And it really makes sense.  After all humans have better skin, hair and nails when they eat a healthy diet.  So should dogs.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=108981
My comment is about food, but reletive to ummmmm GAS
Dixie was a constant source of foul immissions
until I began feeding her natures recipe canned [carved] lamb and rice , and turkey and rice [in combination with Nuto's chicken and oatmeal kibble for sensetive tummys]. i don't know if these are the best choices when it comes to tear staining and coat, but i saw a difference in her digestive track right away. I also have a sheltie whom has always had a sensetive tummy [vomitting] and this combo has been perfect for him as well.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=109006
[/B][/QUOTE]
That is a good point about the gas. I never thought of that, probably because it never happens around here, but I will tell you that neither dog EVER has gas!
Nothing worse than a smelly dog. Of course you have no one to blame it on!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts