Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I am looking for a puppy that will eventually have an adult weight of 4 to 5 pounds any ideas on what that puppy would weigh at 8 to 9 weeks old? I know there are so many variables and there are no guarantees, but I'm still thinking that there is probably a fairly tight range? Any ideas? Breeders, what do you think?

·
Premium Member
12,783 Posts
Usually, you take the weight at 12 weeks and double it, then add .5- 1 lb and that is the 'adult' weight. If you have a puppy that is 3 + lbs at 12 weeks, most likely they won't hit that 4 - 5 lb range but there are always exceptions! Some lines grow faster than others and they are bigger puppies at 12 weeks but then slow down by 5 mos.

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Your best chance of getting a puppy who will be close to the size you want is to get her from a reputable breeder. We don't have any AMA breeders here in NC, but there are a few shows coming up that would be a great pace to meet local breeders.

There is one in Cary on the 2nd and Raleigh on the 5th:

InfoDog List of Pure Bred Dog Shows Held in NC

There is one down here in Moore county the 18th, but last year no Maltese were entered.

If you are willing to drive to the Columbia, SC area there are a couple of great breeders there:

Premier Maltese of Columbia, South Carolina

Champion Maltese Breeder Maltese Puppies For Sale South Carolina

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Usually, you take the weight at 12 weeks and double it, then add .5- 1 lb and that is the 'adult' weight. If you have a puppy that is 3 + lbs at 12 weeks, most likely they won't hit that 4 - 5 lb range but there are always exceptions! Some lines grow faster than others and they are bigger puppies at 12 weeks but then slow down by 5 mos.
So in other words, a weight at 8-9 weeks is not going to be any indication of size and I need to see what her weight is at 12 weeks to get a better idea if I'm reading your post correctly.

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
So in other words, a weight at 8-9 weeks is not going to be any indication of size and I need to see what her weight is at 12 weeks to get a better idea if I'm reading your post correctly.
You can triple the weight at 8 weeks to get a rough idea or double it at 12 weeks, but it still only a guess. Some lines grow quickly and stop early, some lines grow slowly, but gain into the second year. A reputable breeder who knows her lines will be the best one to be able to estimate adult weight.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Your best chance of getting a puppy who will be close to the size you want is to get her from a reputable breeder. We don't have any AMA breeders here in NC, but there are a few shows coming up that would be a great pace to meet local breeders.

There is one in Cary on the 2nd and Raleigh on the 5th:

InfoDog List of Pure Bred Dog Shows Held in NC

There is one down here in Moore county the 18th, but last year no Maltese were entered.

If you are willing to drive to the Columbia, SC area there are a couple of great breeders there:

Premier Maltese of Columbia, South Carolina

Champion Maltese Breeder Maltese Puppies For Sale South Carolina
Marj,
Thanks for the suggestion. I usually do stop by the Raleigh shows Labor Day weekend to see the Havanese as I usually know some of the people. I checked the Maltese entries and there are only 2 entered Thursday and 3 the other days- and that's if they show up!!!

I have a deposit on a little female puppy and my breeder is reputable. I did a lot of research before deciding and studied the Maltese pictures on here before I decided which breeder I wanted. She is not local so I will be flying to pick up my puppy. I was just curious if a breeder can tell at 8-9 weeks what the adult weight will be by what they weigh at that point. Yes, she knows what both parents weigh, but it is a first time breeding between the sire and dam and I know flukey things can happen. She is estimating at this point she will be 4-5 pounds based on bone structure,but I didn't know if weight was a factor at this point. I know a couple of people on the forum whose dogs have gotten larger than she initially thought they would be and if you followed the 12 week rule (double the 12 week weight and add a pound) her estimate on the pups would have been correct, but the pups continued to grow- so I guess weight will not mean much at this point and maybe not even when she is 12 weeks old!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts