Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Vinny is coming close to neuter time, he is 23 weeks today. I am hoping to have him done by the end of January. He is still only around 3.5 pounds and so small, that is what is making me nervous. What was your dogs weight when he or she was spayed/neutered? I know they s/n young in some situations as early as 8 weeks, but this is my baby we are talking about.

·
Registered
499 Posts
I was really worried, too. Jonas was 2.2 pounds when he was neutered. I had the pre-surgical bloodwork done, and his vet is familiar with small dogs and does volunteer surgery doing pediatric spay/neuters at the shelter. Jonas came through the anesthesia and surgery just fine. I had him done at 4 months, I have always had my boys neutered really early--I don't want to give them any excuse to start lifting those legs!
Quincymom

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
Over 3 lbs is quite decent size. So long as your vet is using the appropriate anesthesia and is comfortable with toy dogs, it should not be a problem. The vet should gas him down with Isoflurance, NO ket/val or telazol induction. If the vet insists on inducing, a very safe drug is Propofol. Propofol and Iso are the only anesthesia appropriate for a tiny toy dog. Pre-operative bloodwork is always a good idea, epecially to check the liver values on a Maltese.

We do anesthesia on tiny lizards that weigh under a pound. As long as the vet is experienced and uses the right anesthesia, the risk is limited.

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
Kodie was 3.3lbs... and 1 1/2yrs old. I was VERY NERVOUS too... but Kodie wasnt growing anymore...haha ...I had no choice..

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi, thanks for that, I have insisted on Iso many critters ago, and actually that is what they do use. I am confident in my vet, we have used him forever, although, when I first got Vinny he told me he wouldn't be more than 10lbs or so, not that that is a bad thing but I think he was comparing him with a Bichon. The last time I went to see him it really seemed like he did some research on Maltese. Without asking he told me he was pretty much done growing.

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Originally posted by Quincymom@Dec 21 2004, 02:22 PM
I was really worried, too. Jonas was 2.2 pounds when he was neutered. I had the pre-surgical bloodwork done, and his vet is familiar with small dogs and does volunteer surgery doing pediatric spay/neuters at the shelter. Jonas came through the anesthesia and surgery just fine.  I had him done at 4 months, I have always had my boys neutered really early--I don't want to give them any excuse to start lifting those legs!
Quincymom
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=24690
[/QUOTE]

Early neutering is becoming more common, isn't it? A neighbor recently had her Maltese neutered at 4&1/2 months to prevent marking. She had waited until 8 months to have her first Maltese neutered and he started marking. She was never able to break him of this habit so she was very paranoid. I was shocked when she first told me how young he was going to be when it was done, but I have read a lot since that suggests no one has seen any ill effects from early neutering. In fact, some humane organizations are recommending it to make sure animals are neutered BEFORE adoption, rather than trusting new owners to get it done right at 6 months and risk more unwanted litters.

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
the vetschool here has a program where we spay/neuter all the pets at the shelter. Its great for all the animals, and great for us b/c we get plenty of practice. Where i used to live we had just started spay/neuters earlier...before we did have to trust the people to bring them in. i think it makes the pets easier to adopt out. and its a good way for veterinarians to do some volunteer work. :D

·
Registered
942 Posts
Chanel was 7 months old and 4lbs. Recently, she has been really skinny, so I have been fattening her up...she looks and feels more healthy.

Good luck with the spay. His weight sounds fine! But I am no expert.

~Elegant

1 - 10 of 10 Posts