Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ty has regular tear staining like every other puppy maltese but I noticed an odor.
When I go to clean his face I can smell it and Im starting to worry. When I first smelled it I gave him a bath thinking he may have gotten into something and that's what the smell is coming from. Once I bathed him and a few hours later smelled his face again it was still there. Anyone have any ideas what it could be? Is this normal? Im clueless

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
I've never had to deal with this so I'm just going off of what I have heard. Here are somethings I found on the internet:
A smelly exterior on a dog (outside of them rolling in something) means infection by bacteria, and/or yeast.

An antibiotic lotion from the Vet should clear up the problem. Note washing with shampoo daily on a dog will dry the skin.

Another question to ask yourself is whether the smelly process might have come about due to an allergic reaction. In the Fall leaf mold can cause many skin allergic reactions in dogs.[/B]
Excessive tearing and wetness around the eye area is a breeding ground for bacteria[/B]

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Originally posted by Lexi's Mom@May 23 2005, 12:29 PM
I've never had to deal with this so I'm just going off of what I have heard.  Here are somethings I found on the internet:
A smelly exterior on a dog (outside of them rolling in something) means infection by bacteria, and/or yeast.

An antibiotic lotion from the Vet should clear up the problem. Note washing with shampoo daily on a dog will dry the skin.

Another question to ask yourself is whether the smelly process might have come about due to an allergic reaction. In the Fall leaf mold can cause many skin allergic reactions in dogs.
Excessive tearing and wetness around the eye area is a breeding ground for bacteria[/B]
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=64494
[/B][/QUOTE]

Thanks! I guess I'll just call the vet and see what they say.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts