Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Amy has had some major dental work done, and was on Antirobe capsules twice a dayfor 6 days before the dental work, and is now on them for 14 days after the dental work. They are very large capsules and she is now wising up on my ways of hiding them in food and spitting them out. Tonight in 1 1/2 hours I wasted 3 capsules hiding them in food and eventually had to throw them away as they fell apart. :eek:
I spoke to a nurse at the surgery who said I could sprinkle it on food but the powder wouldn't taste that good----I tried this and Amy would have none of it.

:new_Eyecrazy:

I'm at my wits end--any suggestions on a miracle way of giving them to her would be most gratefully received, or does anyone know of another antibiotic more suited to Maltese.

Very desperately

Susan

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
have u tried peanut butter? it is very sticky and sometimes harder for them to spit out. or another method is to have three pieces of "treats" one with the pill and the other two just the treat. give one treat, followed by one with the pill and showing her the third while she is eating the one with the pill...this lets her know there is more to follow, and hopefully will eat it up. then give her the last treat. Good Luck! vienna sausages are good to hide pills, cheese, canned food.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Originally posted by LadyMontava@May 1 2005, 08:08 PM
have u tried peanut butter?  it is very sticky and sometimes harder for them to spit out.  or another method is to have three pieces of "treats"  one with the pill and the other two just the treat.  give one treat, followed by one with the pill and showing her the third while she is eating the one with the pill...this lets her know there is more to follow, and hopefully will eat it up.  then give her the last treat.  Good Luck!  vienna sausages are good to hide pills, cheese, canned food.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=58639
[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the advice---I have tried having treats lined up, sausages, tinned food, chicken, steak,cheese--which was working until recently but she's now decided she doesn't like cheese,
but haven't tried peanut butter. She seems to sense what's coming.

Susan

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
liverworst works GREAT. I love it, the dogs love it. and it has such a strong taste and odor--she wont know there's pill in it.
try it with crackers----for yourself. its good.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Menachem is horrible with meds.
For liquid I put it on a spoon with peanut butter and he licks it all right up. I try not to say "fooled ya" while he enjoys it so much.

Pills are much harder - unfortuantely, I just have to go "old school". Hold him down, open his mouth, put the pill in, and hold his mouth shut.

Sometimes it takes a few tries but in the end it is better than wasting all your meds.

But, like everyone else, try peanut butter!
Let us know how it goes, too!

I have been there!

·
Registered
13,097 Posts
Missy gets the 1-2-3- method as mentioned earlier using american cheese softened to room temp so it 'wraps nicely around the pill.
My friends dog had meds to take and did well with this method till one day my frined realized she hadn't totalyy enclosed the pill and her pooch discovered it. I suggested she take tuna and the softened cheese in hopes the stinkyness of the tuna would mask the pill.
It did and no more problems.
terry and missy

·
Registered
994 Posts
Originally posted by Amymalteser@May 1 2005, 03:04 PM
Amy has had some major dental work done, and was on Antirobe capsules twice a dayfor 6 days before the dental work, and is now on them for 14 days after the dental work. They are very large capsules and she is now wising up on my ways of hiding them in food and spitting them out. Tonight in 1 1/2 hours I wasted 3 capsules hiding them in food and eventually had to throw them away as they fell apart. :eek:
I spoke to a nurse at the surgery who said I could sprinkle it on food but the powder wouldn't taste that good----I tried this and Amy would have none of it.

:new_Eyecrazy:

I'm at my wits end--any suggestions on a miracle way of giving them to her would be most gratefully received, or does anyone know of another antibiotic more suited to Maltese.

Very desperately

Susan
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=58637
[/QUOTE]

Join the club maxi is impossible when it comes to taking pills i usually have them make it in a liquid form or i get him just when he is either waking up and i get it down his throat before he knows what i am doing
last week he would act like he was swallowing it and i would find it on the carpet he is slick

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
Antirobe comes in a liquid so you could ask your vet for that.

I use cheese most of the time, but cream cheese or peanut butter are good ones to coat the pill. Most of the time I just pop the pills down their throat with my finger and follow with a water "chaser" (an oral medicating syringe of water). Mikey gets pills 7x/day so we do some liquids (he likes the Amoxi bubblegum liquid and lactulose liquid) and the rest capsules or pills.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Many thanks for all your suggestions.
Soft cheese used to work with Amy before she had the teeth removed but for some reason now she just won't touch it.
I phoned the vet this morning and she said in the UK Antirobe only comes in capsules not liquid form. She said although it's not so effective to empty the capsule onto the food -----I did that and even then she didn't like the taste and wouldn't touch it--eventually she ate it after I put some steak andthe juices over it.

I'm off to the shops now to get some peanut butter.

Again many thanks for all your help.
Susan

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well I came back from the shops loaded with a variety of sausages, different types of soft cheeses, peanut butter and beef sandwich paste.

I tried a turkey sausage which she loved--just not so keen on the extra special ingredient the capsule which she kept spitting out

I then tried the beef sandwich beef paste--loved the paste and the capsule disappeared with it

How long it will last I don't know, but at least she has a whole tablet in her.

Susan

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I asked the vet that this morning and was told that Antirobe in the Uk comes in one form only---capsules. They should be swallowed whole or failing that the capsule can be opened and the powder mixed in food--but it's not so effective. Antirobe is an antibiotic just for mouth/dental problems and other antibiotics won't kill any bacteria disturbed by the dental work.

Sadly we have a lot less choice in the UK than in the States.

Susan

·
Registered
226 Posts
oh no! i feel so horrible! i always just put the pill down my rottie's throat. she never squirms or anything. but your methods are so much better! peanut butter should do the trick!!!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts