Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all i am excited i just put now a deposit on a baby african grey , i will be getting her in december . I just bought a huge cage on ebay . any fellow malt and bird lovers out there
~ Denise

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
i love chicken, does that count?

·
Premium Member
13,652 Posts
Originally posted by Joe@Aug 27 2005, 08:12 AM
i love chicken, does that count? 

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=94390
[/QUOTE]

Joe you are so funny, I am partial to chicken myself.

I also love the exotic birds too, back home in Australia I had a pet Sulphur Crested Cockatoo named Ned and he could talk like a child and was a wonderful pet. He spent most of his time out of his cage and used to play with my cats and dog and of course the kids.
I believe the African Gray is a very good talker so you should have years of entertainment ahead of you Denise, but be careful as they seem to pick up the wrong words very well. My Sulphur called me Mum and knew both the kids by name and also knew the dog's name and he would call her from the back porch and the dog would come running thinking it was me calling.

You will have a lot of fun with your new bird.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Originally posted by Denise&Chico@Aug 26 2005, 07:10 PM
Hi all i am excited i just put now a deposit on a baby african grey , i will be getting her in december . I just bought a huge cage on ebay . any fellow malt and bird lovers out there 

~ Denise
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=94353
[/QUOTE]

I have always wanted to have a bird like that. How much are you getting her for? Do they require a lot of care? Congrats!!

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
i used to always want one of the larger birds..i started off small with parakeets..then moved on to cockatiels...even bred them..had lots of little birdies hehe...it was an amazing experience, but after all that mess...never again hehe.
then i worked at petsmart..taking care of the larger birds..they are fun, but sometimes they can hurt even when they dont mean it. and that cage gets soooo gross lol so i am no longer a bord person

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
an ex "friend" of mine had an african gray it was a gorgeous bird. And boy could he talk. Just becareful what you say around them or you might end up with an ex "friend" also.

My friend kept hers at her store that she owned and I frequented. Have to say I miss the store more than the "friend".

According to Jake (the bird) I was the annoying b$tch that never seemed to go away. HUM wonder where he learned that LOL

G

·
Hi Denise,

I have an 8 year old African Grey named Alex. I also have an 8 year old Yellow Nape Amazon named Lolita. I ended up weaning them myself, so they are very loving and attached to me. They are both great talkers. However, Alex has a much larger vocabulary than Lolita. You will be surprised as to just how intelligent the African Greys are. He mimics everything, the dogs barking, the cats meowing, the phone, just about everything. Is your baby being hand fed? That makes a great difference in the kind of pet you will have. My yellow nape is a screamer but Alex is very well behaved. In the morning when I turn on the lights in the bird room, I am greeted by Alex saying, Good Morning Sweetheart. At night when I turn the lights out, he says, Sweet Dreams. Of course he learned this from me but he never gets them mixed up. He always says them at the right time of day. About the only thing the Greys don't do is sing, Loltia is a great singer and Alex will try but its pretty pathetic. If you have any questions, I'll be glad to answer any.

Congratulations on your new baby! Any name picked out yet?

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
HI ALL THANK YOU FOR ALL YOUR RESPONSES
i HAVE BEEN A LONG TIME BIRD LOVER , WE DID HAVE A GREY FOR ABOUT 5 YRS THEN I GOT PG WITH MY DAUGHTER AND WITH MUCH REGRET I SOLD HIM HE WAS AWESOME BUT HAD DECIDED HE LOVED MY HUSBAND AND HATED ME WHEN HE TURNED 4 HE ADORED ME UNTIL THEN I HAND RAISED HIM FROM 7 WEEKS , HE WAS A GREAT TALKER, SO NOW THAT MY ''BABY'' WE WILL BE 4 SOON I WANTED TO HAVE A GREY IN MY LIFE AGAIN . AS for names i was thinking Gabby or bella for a girl and sydney bailley or cosmo for a boy what do you all think .
also that was awful what that x friend said about you and increable that you learned about her hateful behavior from a bird!

Lady M ~ yes birds can be messy no doubt
but you suppose to clean up after them everyday so the cage doesnt have a chance to get yucky. Birds and dogs i think ill be a stay at home mom 4 ever !
~ Denise

·
Registered
499 Posts
I had a Parrotlet for several years (they are the smallest parrots), but when I went on vacation it mysteriously died while with a Petsitter. I also had a Quaker Parrot that I hand weaned, he was great, but LOUD and messy. My husband found him annoying, but my vet fell in love with him when I took him in for a wing clipping--ended up adopting him. He goes to work every day with the vet, and back home at night with him. He ended up with an even better home than I gave him so I was very happy.

·
Premium Member
8,543 Posts
i love chicken, does that count?[/B]
I don't think so !

I have a cousin who had an African Grey for a long time. They brought him back from, where else, Africa. They were stationed for a while in Gabon. Smart bird. Good talker. Very good imitator. You would not know if it's your mother in law talking or the bird. And yes, be careful what language you use around them. This one could "sing" : the melody of the River Kway (? sorry for spelling) but with different words like : Hello, did you see my old (wife), she was laying in the street ditch.. (translation of another language). He could wistle. One time the cops drove by her house on their bicycle and the bird started wistling (like when you call somebody), the cops stoped. Listened. Nothing. Back on their bikes and riding off. Bird wistling again. Cops stop again. They thought somebody was making fun of them. Finally they realized it was the bird. My husband brought that bird home for a week end to babysit at one time. He was laughing by himself all the way from work to home. He said people probably thought I am nuts. Bird was talking all the time in the back seat. They are intelligent. My cousin was eating lunch during a trip from one place to another and like it happens to all of us at some time, was just thinking or day dreaming. Suddenly, the bird said to her : What are you waiting for ?
If it would not be for the cleaning of the cage, I would not mind having one of them.

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
Originally posted by HollyHobbie@Aug 27 2005, 10:34 AM
an ex "friend" of mine had an african gray it was a gorgeous bird. And boy could he talk. Just becareful what you say around them or you might end up with an ex "friend" also.

My friend kept hers at her store that she owned and I frequented. Have to say I miss the store more than the "friend". 

According to Jake (the bird) I was the annoying b$tch that never seemed to go away. HUM wonder where he learned that LOL
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=94408
[/QUOTE]
OMG!!! Wow!!!!!

·
Registered
10,369 Posts
Oh yes, I have a Mollucan Cockatoo. He is gorgeous. I was involved in parrot rescue for awhile, and most were surrendered because they are loud. My birdie gets quite loud at times. Usually before bedtime or when he wants attention. He loves to watch cartoons, so he has his own tv and five-disc dvd player.

I'm in the process of teaching him to roller-skate. He likes to play fetch with a rolled up sock. He loves to eat. He has fresh fruit, water, and veggies twice a day. He also loves toast for breakfast with a little bit of peanut butter on it.

Congrats on the African Grey. You will enjoy him.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
I must say...I am terrified of them. All birds. I will have a panic attack at times because i am so afraid. I realized not too long ago that it was something that must have happened when I was a child because my parents raised them in our attached garage when I was a toddler and had about 30 of them...something must have scared me to death back then.

They are beautiful though, I just can't be near them.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
My husband won't have a bird in the house but my vet has the most wonderful Caique (Sp?) in his waiting room that I sometimes stop by there just to play with BeBe. I don't even take her out of her cage, just stick my finger in for her to mouth (beak?) and swing on. She will lay down to get her tummy rubbed or get rubbed behind her neck.......she's just like a Maltese! I want one because they are small but beautiful and darling little birds.

He also has a loud parrot who is frequently banished from the lobby when he gets too obnoxious. The parrot can't stand his owner, my vet, and just fluffs his feathers up and spreads his wings and tail feathers and huffs and puffs and squawks and carrys on. But with most women he's very good......there was one female technician who could do anything she wanted to with him and he'd be fine unless Dr. Vice came in the room then she'd put him away quickly so as not to experience "collateral damage" from his ire at Doc.

You're going to have a great time with your Grey bird and White malt.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by Teddyandme@Aug 28 2005, 12:45 AM
I must say...I am terrified of them.  All birds.  I will have a panic attack at times because i am so afraid.  I realized not too long ago that it was something that must have happened when I was a child because my parents raised them in our attached garage when I was a toddler and had about 30 of them...something must have scared me to death back then. 

They are beautiful though, I just can't be near them.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=94619
[/QUOTE]

Hey Susan, I'm scared to death of birds, too!! I was in New York recently with my boss and another male colleague and we were walking back to the hotel and turned down a side street and a zillion pigeons starting dive bombing toward us.
I about freaked out and ran the other way and told them there was no way I was walking down that street. I felt like an idiot but I was scared to death! I don't mind birds up in trees far, far away, but if they are any where near me..... yikes!!!

Oh, and on that same trip, we were in the airport waiting on our luggage and there was a tiny parakeet loose in the baggage claim area and I was freaked out that he would come near us and was cowering.... what a way to start a trip!

However, when my mom was alive, her assisted living home had a cockatiel and I actually got to know him and like him but I don't think I would have wanted him flapping around my head or anything!

·
Registered
10,369 Posts
Denise, yes that's what he is. He's my baby. Did you get a good size cage? Do they have good deals on e-bay for birdie stuff?

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Originally posted by 3Maltmom@Aug 30 2005, 04:21 PM
This is for you, Susan - LOL
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=95497
[/QUOTE]

Debbie,

I am on my way to my aunts funeral...and kinda down.
I had a few minutes and decided to come on. Well, you made me laugh so hard I cried.
How silly is that picture...as long as it is a picture I am find. He looks like a character....kinda like mom, I guess.

K & C - Exactly, terrified and there is no way I would have walked down the street either...Boston commons gets me every time. People look at me like I am the crazy one cause I won't go near them while other people have birds flying around there heads...go figure.

·
Registered
10,369 Posts
Susan - I am so glad my Stevie put a smile on your sad little face. He's done that for me on many occasions. This pic was taken just before he threw the camera from my hands and plucked my eyeballs out!!

So very sorry to hear about your Auntie.

Hugs, Licks, and Pecks from me and the gang

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.