Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I may be going to Singapore for a month soon, has anyone been reading a really great book? I love all kinds of novels, biography etc. Nothing too technical, (I read that at home)
Thanks!

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
sounds exciting, nothing to offer though, if its not in the paper, a magazine or online I dont read it, Kim reads like crazy, she'll go to the library and get 5-6 at a time

here is the book list I have read in my 33 years

Cujo
Electric KoolAid Acid Test
Bridges of Madison County

may have been a few i dont remember now. If I was going on a looooong trip though I would get a book of poetry, I love writing and reading poetry

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
I don't have any books to suggest right now but I strongly suggest that you get a set of Bose Noise Cancelling Headphones (hooked up to an iPod). I can't say enough good things about them!! They completely cut out the roar of the engines and will put you in your own wonderful world.

·
Premium Member
13,652 Posts
The best of the biography type books I have read recently would be a John Douglas true story called Anyone You Want Me To Be. He was an FBI Phsyc/Profiler and the story is about a serial killer from Kansas who used to meet women on line and lure them to a meeting with him then eventually kill them. I am not sure if you like those types of books, but I find them good reading.
As for poetry Joe, I too enjoy reading good Australian Ballad type poetry as well as many others. I also enjoy writing poems about my own life's experiences, but do keep them for my own reading. I find it a good way to resolve inner termoil.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Here are some books I recommend...
1) Any books by Dan Brown including Angels and Demonds, Da Vinci Code, Digital Fortress.
2) Any books by Sophie Kinsella. She is the author of the Confessions of a Shopaholic series. Very fun reads to keep you entertained.
3) Memories of a Geisha
4) Trading Up by Candace Bushnell (author of Sex and the City)
5) Fall on Your Knees by Ann-Marie MacDonald
6) Something Borrowed by Emily Giffin

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
I am not a big book reader. But I figure that I need to pick that hobby up since there's nothing to do and no place to go where I'll be going to school. I am currently reading Dan Brown's Angels and Demons. So far I absolutely have no complaints. The only complaint I have is I wish I have more time to read it. It's taking me forever to read because I cant find time to read it! I hate when I find time for 1 or 2 chapters and I HAVE to stop at a CLIMAX! ARGHHH

I will eventually read The DaVinci Code. Although, I heard that DaVinci Code and Angels and Demons have some similarities.

I think I mentioned this before, but I read "100 Secret Senses" afew yrs ago, and I really liked the book.

Cathy is right about the Harry Potter books. I bought the first book for my bf's nephew and I read the first few chapters and you really do get sucked into the book.

·
Registered
5,656 Posts
My all time favorite book for years was To Kill A Mockingbird. That all changed when I read Life of Pi by Yann Martel. I had heard about this book through a friend and thought I would give it a go. Three quarters of the way through the book I was still skeptical until I read the end--I was blown away. This book claims to be a book about "finding God" and although it is not a religious book, the subject matter makes one believe in God. If you like books that are allegorical, symbolic and reading that can be taken on several levels, I highly suggest this book. I read the book back in January and just the other day I was thinking about it and realized another piece of symbolism that the author wrote. It is, at least for me, a book that will stay with your forever.

Here is the link from Amazon if you would like to read more about it...Life of Pi

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
Originally posted by CharmyPoo@Aug 20 2005, 11:59 PM
2) Any books by Sophie Kinsella.  She is the author of the Confessions of a Shopaholic series.  Very fun reads to keep you entertained.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=92753
[/QUOTE]

I was about to say that~!

I loove the Shopaholic books. I think there's a 5th one coming out soon!

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Originally posted by scrappy+Aug 20 2005, 06:14 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-okw
@Aug 21 2005, 11:02 AM
I am probably biased...but I LOVE Russian literature.  I am not sure which if any you have read.  If you haven't read anything by Tolstoy or Crime and Punishment, then I would highly recommend those!!

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=92710
We love Tolstoy and every couple of yrs we go back to him. Just so happens that Crime and Punishment is on my husband's night table along with a book on physics and another on calculus and Steven Hawking. he is an avid reader. Favourite books get read and reread here and we love to discuss them with each other when we have finished. we are like our own little book club.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=92713
[/B][/QUOTE]

My husband is also quiet impressive in how much he reads. Not me -- I am a lazy bum. I feel like there is so much I don't know in medicine, that if I read something, its usually for school. I even read on the elliptical every morning but who knows how much I am actually retaining!

Quincy's mom -- you are going to have to tell us which book you ended up reading and if you liked it
!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts