Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just about had it with our neighbor across the street from us! We purchased our house 3 or 4 years ago, knowing that the house across from us was a bit of an eyesore -- but nothing crazy. Shortly after we moved in, their front picture window cracked somehow (these are historical 1900's homes we live in), so they put a huge cardboard box over it and duct taped it up for safety (or so I thought). Well, here we are a few YEARS later, and that same cardboard box is still there covering the window. There have been several rain/wind storms that have hit us over the years and when the cardboard gets ripped off, he goes outside and tapes it back up. Today we had a windy day and I just saw that the cardboard box is on the ground again...I'm waiting for it to be taped back up.

I'm afraid to hear the answer, but is there any sort of LAW that requires a home have any sort of upkeep? There are children that live in this house also, is there a law (social services??) that can do something because of the window not being safe for children? The glass of the window (now that I can see it without the box on it) has actually fallen down partway so there is a huge gap that is completely open to the outside now (like 1/2 of the window).

Pleeeeeease help!

·
Premium Member
2,019 Posts
Maybe your city has a Code Enforcement department that could tell you.

In my city (in California), I believe "Code Enforcement" is the department that deals with junk filled yards, dangerously derilict buildings and such things. I'm not sure if the window would rise to that level, but you could ask. :)

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would think windows that have cardboard taped & stapled over them would be 1) A fire hazard, and 2) Unfit for children

I've been trying to find code enforcement online.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
I would definitely do some research and contact your city. There are many codes and rules in place that most people are not aware of. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
I am sure there is a code enforcement agency that takes care to see things are upkept in an area.........we have a home owners' association that checks things like that out and "makes" the home owner repair it.

Surely you have a local number to call that can refer you to the right agency that would care for it. It has to be fixed!!!

·
Registered
10,733 Posts
Code enforcement and if you lived in a historical district,they're even stricter. I know the feeling,our first house was in a great neighborhood when we first moved in,then as folks moved out it went down hill. Where we live now,the house down the road from us,the house is nice,1900's restored by previous owners but the barn fell in and they're just leaving it that way. I'm surprised the owner of the house across the street isn't throwing a fit,he just buit his lovely million dollar house and outbuilding,before these slobs moved in and now the barn looks like a heap of rubble....We live in the countryside so I doubt there's much we can do but if you live in city limits,you might.

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
I would think if your house is that old it would be considered a Historical District. They usually have very strict rules on what can or cannot be done. Call your city building inspector and file a complaint. They will come and look and probably tell the owner that it must be fixed.

·
Registered
5,656 Posts
I would imagine there HAS to be some kind of law. We live in an unincorporated area and pretty much ANYTHING goes. Luckily, everyone around here takes some pride in their house/lawn. A few years ago, a lady one street over decided to use her front lawn as her storage area--it was a mess and the neighbors were complaining about the mice. Anyway, since this is unincorporated, it took a lot of phone calls from neighbors to various agencies, but eventually she did have to do something about it. So my point is if something can happen around here where it is impossible to get anything done, then surely you must have some kind of law in place. Good luck!

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you all for the optimism -- I did locate a complaint form to fill out, and I will do that tomorrow...however, I remember filling one out last year about the same issue and obviously nothing was done about it. Hopefully by being persistent, the homeowner will be forced to fix it.

We are in an "official" historical district, but I have not found any information regarding laws or requirements for having a home in the district. It's really a shame that someone does not care about the home they live in. All of our neighbors have fixed up their homes nicely and I only hoped this man would do the same.

I'll keep you all updated if I find out anything... Thank you :)

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Maybe he is unable due to some kind of health issue? Maybe you and some neighbors could offer to help him?
When we first bought our house, we figured he was unable to repair parts of his house for health-reasons --- but we found out from our neighbors that several had offered to cut down a dead tree he has in his yard (because it's an eyesore) & haul it away for him to be neighborly and he refused. 3 years later it's still standing...and still dead. He's just a loser and doesn't take pride in anything. Hopefully my 2nd formal complaint will get the ball rolling. :unsure:

·
Registered
7,134 Posts
We live in an "official" historic district too. I'd contact your town/city hall and see what they can do.

You said you knew going into it that the neighbors were a problem--maybe you guys can be the ones to finally make something happen to it.

I'd be careful calling anything like child protective services--if called they MUST investigate and that can be a nightmare for a family. Just saying--I"ve had people I know personally go through it--some of it was warranted, some was not. It's house damage--handle it from that aspect first. JMO. Good luck!!

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
We live in an "official" historic district too. I'd contact your town/city hall and see what they can do.

You said you knew going into it that the neighbors were a problem--maybe you guys can be the ones to finally make something happen to it.

I'd be careful calling anything like child protective services--if called they MUST investigate and that can be a nightmare for a family. Just saying--I"ve had people I know personally go through it--some of it was warranted, some was not. It's house damage--handle it from that aspect first. JMO. Good luck!!
I completely agree with you! I would never call CPS unless I thought a child was truly in danger. Although, with the glass of the window still hanging partially in the window, I do worry that the youngest is going to get seriously hurt, but normally he has it covered up with the cardboard (although it should be attached from the inside, not the outside). :thumbsup:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts