Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have been battling with my Dad in the nursing home for the last 4 years. Many mishaps that if my daughter or someone in the family hadn't seen, we would have lost him long ago. We had a meeting with the administration last week, in hopes that our concerns were being monitored. We have been telling them about an eye infection that he seemed to have and they had treated it with an antibiotic, never did a culture. Today it came back positive for Mersa. Problem is I was with him all weekend long, taking care of him, wiping his eyes. I did go and get a nasal swab tonight but will have to wait on the culture. Now they are sending him to the hospital, and I just don't know if he is going to make it out. Please say your prayers for my dad who is a wonderful father, grandfather and great-grandfather. I know the life he is leading is not wonderful, but to die from neglect has me very very mad. I already have my bag packed just in case I get a call, I am on the road, 2 hour drive.

Sorry for rattling on, my heart is slowly breaking.....:smcry::smcry:

·
Premium Member
8,623 Posts
I'm so sorry and I'll say a prayer for your dad.
My mom had an operation about 3 years ago and she got MERSA. Putting that on top of the surgery we almost lost her. She's doing really well now, not back to where she was but better. We were all around her a lot before they told us about the MERSA and we're all fine. I think you just need to be careful. I hope your dad gets better soon.
:grouphug:

·
Premium Member
24,028 Posts
Diane - I'm so sorry. I was just talking about that the other day. Worried about going into the hospital for minor surgery and coming out with something worse like MRSA. I'm sending prayers for your dad and hope that he will pull through and be fine. It just isn't fair!
Didn't someone on here have a relative with it? Maybe it was FACH and Dixie or Thach8 and Diamond. It was feared it was brought home from the hospital. I might totally have the wrong person. Make sure that your shoes and clothes are cleaned after being with your dad, so you aren't tracking the infection around the house. Hope that you're okay too. I think the very old, very young and those with compromised immune systems are most at risk.

·
Premium Member
8,521 Posts
I really don't know anything about MERSA, but just wanted to let you know that i will be keeping your dad in my prayers.:grouphug::prayer::grouphug:

·
Banned
1,869 Posts
I am sorry to say, that this is not uncommon in nursing homes - especially after surgery (surgical wound infections ) or Decubitus Ulcers (a.k.a. bed sores) - infections spread easily by staff members that are not as concerned as they should be with the simple procedure - of WASHING their darn hands!

I mean no offense to nurses - there are many GREAT nurses out there - that love their profession. There are many nurses that are dedicated, compassionate and kind - to those nurses - I am forever grateful for loving our geriatric patients, as though they were your own parents.

I visit a local nursing home every week - I can honestly say that not much shocks me anymore - what an awakening it has been - thank G-d that you are there for your dad as his advocate.

I think that it’s fair to say - that unless you had an open wound and came in direct contact with the secretions from your fathers wound, you’re pretty safe. It's always best to get yourself checked out after exposure to any type of serious infection.

Is your father on a PICC line with IV antibiotic given daily?

Wishing you all the best,

Allie

·
Registered
90 Posts
Here in Canada it is not a common thing like it is in the States. My nephew was one of the first community born cases here in Canada. He was very sick and thankfully got over it okay. Apparently he can develop it anytime easier than others who have not had it before so we are always careful around him. Washing hands and limiting physical contact helps with the spread.
I'll be thinking about you and your father.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Big prayers going out to your family. As Allie said, MRSA is spread mostly by care givers who do not wash their hands. Unfortunately it can be tricky, because someone may have an undiagnosed case of MRSA and is therefore not yet placed in isolation. Once a patient is placed in isolation, caregivers must wear disposable protective clothing and most items are disposable. Whatever is not disposable must be sanitized prior to use on another patient. In an undiagnosed patient, things such as blood pressure cuffs, tourniquets, etc can also contribute to the spread of MRSA.

I work at a hospital and every patient is tested for MRSA upon admission. I wish nursing homes has strickter guidelines for testing their patients.

Thankfully now you know what kind of bug it is that you are up against and your doctors can now treat him with the best antibiotic for that certain bug. They have some very strong antibiotics in their arsenal, so don't lose hope.

Hugs and prayers to you, your daddy and your family.

·
Registered
754 Posts
I'm sorry to hear what you and your family are going through. I can totally understand being upset about it since you don't want a loved one to suffer because of something that's preventable with some strict, but simple procedures. Just because he's already suffering in other ways doesn't mean it matters any less.

I'm happy we've been able to keep my grandmother in her own home but it's a lot of work too and still a sad situation. As my grandmother liked to say with a smirk when her mind was more clear but her body was starting to fail her, "getting old ain't for sissies!" (a Betty Davis quote I believe).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts