Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

As I was browsing through my local petshops, it is so overwhelming trying to chose from the plethora of dog goodie choices? Are there any goodies that you particularly recommend or NOT recommend? Thanks so much!

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Brinkley loves liver treats...but they have some red dye, so I use them sparingly.
His favorite other than that is the chicken flavored canine carry outs.
I also bought his some Mother Hubbard mint bone ones that he likes ok...and some other healthy kind-can't remember the brand/kind-they are shaped like hearts...I actually put them all (3-4 different kinds) in a container together (a coffee can) and mix them up. The flavors probably all mix together, but then he is not getting the same kind all the time. He probably would eat most anything I buy that is yummy...but those are our staples. I did read to stay away from red dyes, so except for the liver treats, I am really particular about those.
He does not care for the science diet bone treats. He will nibble on them some, but mostly just leaves them or burys them.

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
biscuits are good for dental care. thats what i give the dogs.....but i'm going to start making the treats. the dogs LOVE natural balance lamb rounds....those are healthy and crunchy....even sprite eats them. and she's really picky. and also...if you accidentaly give a lot---then they wont get diahhrea.

dont give rawhides cuz they can cause your baby to choke....same with pig ears and cow hooves.

i hope i helped!
Cathy

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Originally posted by doctorcathy@Jan 19 2005, 05:02 PM
dont give rawhides cuz they can cause your baby to choke....same with pig ears and cow hooves.

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=30402
[/QUOTE]

I have been giving Brinkley a few pig ears and the other day I bought a bag of pig ear strips. He only gets these occasionally and he is always right with me, so that I can keep an eye on him. He loves them! Someone told me that they are not as easy to choke on as the rawhide bones because they don't expand when they get wet.

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
you're totally right. my dogs really liked those strips. BUT...sprite only wanted it if i broke it in half so she can get the middle out. LOL. but yeah, the whole ears make it really big and they're all harder than the strips.

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
Our boys get
cherrios
rawhide bones(only when we are watching)
carotts & apples,cantalope
greenies
and NATural treats that have no dyes & other bad stuff(buy from the Only Natural Pet Store web site.)Onlynaturalpet.com

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
Originally posted by sheila2182@Jan 20 2005, 11:16 AM
Our boys get
cherrios
rawhide bones(only when we are watching)
carotts & apples,cantalope
greenies
and NATural treats that have no dyes & other bad stuff(buy from the Only Natural Pet Store web site.)Onlynaturalpet.com
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=30540
[/QUOTE]
Kodie gets all of those too except rawhides... he gets tendons instead. Brocolli is another veggie he gets.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Lexi mostly gets Cheerios and greenies. I use chicken and cheese as training treats. Occasionally I will give her a carrot, but she doesn't eat them. She will play with it and maybe chew on it but she doesn't actually eat it.

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
Kodie gets all of those too except rawhides... he gets tendons instead. Brocolli is another veggie he gets.
Is Brocolli ok for them?I thought i read somewhere it was bad for them(Or was that Cauliflower???) I stopped giving it to them,but they loved it...so if its ok I'll let them have it again!Sometimes i get confused
My son says i HAVE SENIOR MOMENTS!lol

SEE I DID THIS WRONG..SORRY KODIE'S MOM

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Sunny really loves the soft cat treats i have for my cat although i know i really shouldnt be giving them to him
, he only gets one every once in a while beucase i know they are bad for him but he just loves them....for training i use to liver treats which proubly arnt so good for him either but he just dosnt care enough about the healthy treats to learn a trick for them, he eats greenies and has a kong a fill up with for peanut butter stuff that looks like cheese wiz

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Originally posted by Lilly521@Jan 20 2005, 03:04 PM
for training i use to liver treats which proubly arnt so good for him either but he just dosnt care enough about the healthy treats to learn a trick for them
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=30579
[/QUOTE]

I think liver treats are fine as long as he isn't eat A LOT of them. I have to use chicken and cheese for Lexi because regular treats just don't cut it. She will do anything for chicken and cheese.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
I used to give Pico broccoli because he just loves it but I read several sources that said not to give the small dogs broccoli so I stopped.

Now his favorite veggie is spaghetti squash. He also gets cauliflower, green beans, sweet potatoe, summer squash and whole wheat toast.

All of these in the smallest amounts, of course. He might get 1" of whole wheat toast crust in the morning. 1 teaspoon or two of veggies daily. For treats, it's Pupcorn as recommended by my Vet because of Pico's MVD. He eats low protein, low fat.

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
i thought broccoli and cauliflower were related? they look alike anyway. LOL. here are some links

Broccoli

good site

and just some info i learned in class(i think its interesting...you might not. LOL)....broccoli, brussel sprouts, kale, and lettuce are man-made from the Mustard plant. my teacher said that all those veggies didnt exist like 100-200 yrs ago. crazy,huh?

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Originally posted by Lexi's Mom+Jan 20 2005, 04:08 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Lilly521
@Jan 20 2005, 03:04 PM
for training i use to liver treats which proubly arnt so good for him either but he just dosnt care enough about the healthy treats to learn a trick for them
I think liver treats are fine as long as he isn't eat A LOT of them. I have to use chicken and cheese for Lexi because regular treats just don't cut it. She will do anything for chicken and cheese.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=30582
[/B][/QUOTE]

Yeah he dosnt get a ton although when he first is learning a trick he will get a lot that day but it dosnt happen very often, he will eat other better for him treats but he loves these things

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Originally posted by Lilly521+Jan 20 2005, 07:18 PM-->
Originally posted by Lexi's [email protected] 20 2005, 04:08 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-Lilly521
@Jan 20 2005, 03:04 PM

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=30582

[/QUOTE]

Yeah he dosnt get a ton although when he first is learning a trick he will get a lot that day but it dosnt happen very often, he will eat other better for him treats but he loves these things
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=30616
[/B][/QUOTE]

Just make sure you are cutting the treats up into pea size pieces.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Lacey loves the Natural Balance lamb rolls. I also bought the Solid Gold tiny tots. Solid Gold is new to my area so I don't know much about it. Lacey loves them so I give her a few every couple of days.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts