Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Any breeders near Philly you'd recommend? I did speak at length with Tammy of Stone Ridge Maltese yesterday. I was very impressed and she had a lot of good advice on potentially integrating a Maltese into a household with large dogs down the line. We would definitely consider one of her puppies. Just wondering if there is anything close to home too. She is on the other side of the state.

Registered
No additional suggestions, just wanted to say I think you found a good one. Really impressed with everything I see on her website. And nice that she is willing to work with you having big dogs.

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
No additional suggestions, just wanted to say I think you found a good one. Really impressed with everything I see on her website. And nice that she is willing to work with you having big dogs.
Absolutely. I think she needs to feel comfortable and so do we before we pull the trigger. But she was a great resource. The goldendoodle is still a young puppy. So we want to see how he is doing as young adult and how he is interacting with my sister's maltipoo and other tiny dogs and if we can train to a point where we feel comfortable that it would be OK. So far, so good. But I think it's too early to say.

Super Moderator

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
The American Maltese Association, maintains a breeders list:

Breeders by State
Thank you. I checked it out. Just 5 in the state. Most about 6 hours away. Beverly Quilliam is nearby, and the feedback on these forums for her looks good. But it is old. I bumped up the most recent thread to see if anyone has more recent feedback or got pups from their recently.

Premium Member
Absolutely. I think she needs to feel comfortable and so do we before we pull the trigger. But she was a great resource. The goldendoodle is still a young puppy. So we want to see how he is doing as young adult and how he is interacting with my sister's maltipoo and other tiny dogs and if we can train to a point where we feel comfortable that it would be OK. So far, so good. But I think it's too early to say.

Today I was thinking about you and your maltese adoption plans. I'm thinking it may be wise to ask for a larger maltese, around 7+ lbs. Abella is larger (by US AKC standards) and her leg bones are so very very tiny and fragile. They could be hurt or broken so easily by a larger "Big Pawed" playful dog. I can't imagine how fragile smaller maltese are. Maltese are not wimps and they can hold there own in playing rough and tumble - this said they can get hurt so easily. I think you said your sister has a MaltiPoo. That breed is definitely more sturdy in build. I am glad you are doing research and seeking advise. Wishing you much wisdom in making the right choice and finding the perfect addition to complete your tribe.
馃惗 馃惥馃尰

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
Today I was thinking about you and your maltese adoption plans. I'm thinking it may be wise to ask for a larger maltese, around 7+ lbs. Abella is larger (by US AKC standards) and her leg bones are so very very tiny and fragile. They could be hurt or broken so easily by a larger "Big Pawed" playful dog. I can't imagine how fragile smaller maltese are. Maltese are not wimps and they can hold there own in playing rough and tumble - this said they can get hurt so easily. I think you said your sister has a MaltiPoo. That breed is definitely more sturdy in build. I am glad you are doing research and seeking advise. Wishing you much wisdom in making the right choice and finding the perfect addition to complete your tribe.
馃惗 馃惥馃尰
Good thinking! That is what Tammy said as well. She said she has a girl from Russia and a boy that produce sturdy Maltese up to 8 lbs and that even their 6 lb litters have bone structures twice the size/as sturdy as most of her Maltese. Thanks for your advice! Abella is so beautiful.

Registered
Not sure where my Post went from the other day?? However, I asked where you are from in PA since we live here as well. I did suggest that you call/contact Josymire in Greensburg, PA. As a matter of fact, I just read a post whereby someone posted that she got her Malt from her. Might be worth a try and I hope that this post doesn't go astray.

Registered
Discussion Starter #9
Not sure where my Post went from the other day?? However, I asked where you are from in PA since we live here as well. I did suggest that you call/contact Josymire in Greensburg, PA. As a matter of fact, I just read a post whereby someone posted that she got her Malt from her. Might be worth a try and I hope that this post doesn't go astray.
Lower Merion. Outside Philly. Thanks for the feedback!

Premium Member
Josymire has lovely pups! Great suggestion.
JMHO, but be careful w/some of the Russian dogs---make sure it is a good breeder & get advice from people who show in Europe---they are in the know about which Russian breeders have reputable dogs. I have 2 good breeder friends in Europe & you can send me a ? if you find something interesting & I will make inquiry for you. Sometimes people only talk to those whom they trust---which is wise. Best wishes in your search. It sounds like you are diligent.

Registered
Discussion Starter #11
Josymire has lovely pups! Great suggestion.
JMHO, but be careful w/some of the Russian dogs---make sure it is a good breeder & get advice from people who show in Europe---they are in the know about which Russian breeders have reputable dogs. I have 2 good breeder friends in Europe & you can send me a ? if you find something interesting & I will make inquiry for you. Sometimes people only talk to those whom they trust---which is wise. Best wishes in your search. It sounds like you are diligent.
Thank you! I appreciate that! Will circle back when we are closer to taking the plunge and looking to choose a breeder.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts