Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been searching for a television for fathers day for my hubby for our patio--does anyone know anything about tv's? I thought I just had to get in the car and go buy one
. I can't believe whats out there and the difference in price!! I love the flat screen ones--but don't know if I need the HDTV and all that--for the patio? If anyone could help me I'd really appreciate it!!
I'm looking for between 20 - 30 in. size.
Thanks!

·
Registered
939 Posts
Well unless you are going to take digital cable out to the patio you don't need HD... this is my personal opinion, but HD broadcasting is very limited and it can be more expensive. We have found Toshiba to be a great brand of TV. We have had one for 10 years and you wouldn't know it.. it has a great picture! I am currently shopping for a second TV and we are going with a Toshiba 32 - 36 inch flat screen. Flat screen is nice, it does give a very sharp picture and you won't get as much background reflection. You may also want to consider whether you want the unit to have a DVD or VCR in it.

In our area the best prices are at Best Buy, Costco and Sam's.

Good luck, have fun shoppinjg.

Judi

·
Registered
608 Posts
I wouldn't recommend HDTV unless all channels are available in it. What they don't tell you is while detail is great on HD channels it is AWFUL on non HD channels. The cable man told us this after his third visit to try to fix our picture. Oh, and we have a flat screen TV 36 in I think.

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
I don't know anything about TV's but I did just purchase an Aquos (I think that's how it's spelled) by Sharp. It is an LCD, not a plasma, and it is around 17 inches. I have it in my kitchen and it is perfect for that. The picture is wonderful and I would imagine that it would be good for a patio. I got it at Circut City...I don't recall what I paid, but it was on sale and around $500 something. It is also very easy to use....basically plug it in, hook up the cable and you're good to go.

I haven't thought about adding a TV to the patio...we are finally having the back yard landscaped and are adding a paver patio. My new grill is coming next week and the pavers go in the end of this week. I'm having family for July 4 so I'm hoping it will all be done. I should have a cable line run outside so we can hook up the TV and DVD. I just had all the old family slides transferred to DVD's so that would be perfect for our reunion.

·
Premium Member
8,543 Posts
I think you need both. HD and analog. Don't they want to get rid of the analog completely in a few years ?
We haven't bought a new TV yet because of all the different choices out there and prices. We are having a hard time making up our minds. One thing is sure, we won't get a plasma. Our 32" Toshiba is also over 10 years old. And we have a 20" Mitsubishi in our bedroom (that's the one we would like to replace first) that's over 15 years old. Never had the slightest thing on that Mitsubishi and still runs fine.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everybody! I am definitely going with a flat screen--sounds like thats the way to go and I've checked out some tv's and I will probably go with the Sharp like Saltymalty. I think those are very nice for the money. I'd like a nice tv out there but I don't want to get to crazy and spend a fortune. We have a Mitsubishi in our living room too and have had it for years--its been a great tv. I never thought buying a tv would be difficult! :eek: Thanks for your ideas!!

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Good luck with whatever you decide. We have three tv's inour house and two in the car. lol...we are tv junkies. So out of our five tv's only one is NOT a Sony. I love Sony. The one we have in our bedroom is 15 years old. yikes, didn't relize that till I added it up.

We have a flat screen Sony in our room and the two in the cars are sony's also. The only one that isn't is the kids tv and it was a gift from thier Granna.

My hubby is wanting the huge Wega system from Sony its like 52 inch LCD. well I am thinking that might be a little over the top heheh I told him the Malts on the Dog shows will be larger than our real one

·
Premium Member
8,543 Posts
Originally posted by HollyHobbie@Jun 7 2005, 09:35 PM
My hubby is wanting the huge Wega system from Sony its like 52 inch LCD. well I am thinking that might be a little over the top heheh I told him the Malts on the Dog shows will be larger than our real one

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=70354
[/QUOTE]

Never thought about that but you might be right.

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
Originally posted by RubyJeansmom@Jun 7 2005, 09:24 PM
Thanks everybody! I am definitely going with a flat screen--sounds like thats the way to go and I've checked out some tv's and I will probably go with the Sharp like Saltymalty. I think those are very nice for the money. I'd like a nice tv out there but I don't want to get to crazy and spend a fortune.   We have a Mitsubishi in our living room too and have had it for years--its been a great tv. I never thought buying a tv would be difficult!  :eek:  Thanks for your ideas!! 

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=70345
[/QUOTE]
Here is the link to my Aquos...I thought it was 17", but it is 15"...to me, thought, it looks larger than my 17" LCD computer monitor. Go figure technology...also, this is less than I paid for mine.

http://www.bestbuyplasma.com/plasma/Produc...Z_REF_Y_GOOBBP2

·
Premium Member
8,543 Posts
FCC Speeds Up Digital TV Signal Deadlines
June 09, 2005 9:17 PM EDT
WASHINGTON - Television viewers who crave the crisp, clear pictures of digital TV got a boost Thursday when the government ordered manufacturers to include the technology in all midsize models by next spring.

The Federal Communications Commission voted 4-0 to require televisions with screens from 25 inches to 36 inches be digital-ready by March 1. That is four months earlier than the commission decreed in 2002.

The commission also proposed moving the deadline for all small TVs - those 13 inches to 24 inches - to the end of 2006, rather than mid-2007, as had been set. That proposal, which also applies to DVD players and other devices that can receive a TV signal, will be voted after a period of public comment.

Electronics retailers and manufacturers had asked two changes: scrapping of the July 1 deadline for 50 percent of new midsize TVs to have digital tuners and moving up of the final compliance deadline to next March instead of July 1, 2006.

The 50 percent threshold applies to each manufacturer or importer.

Retailers and manufacturers said this July's deadline was slowing the transition to digital because consumers were continuing to buy more of the traditional analog TVs, which are less expensive.

The FCC acknowledged those market concerns. But the agency refused to budge on the 50 percent deadline. Instead, commissioners decided to use the request to speed up the overall transition from analog to digital.

The proposed 2006 deadline to have all TVs larger than 13 inches equipped with digital tuners would coincide with the target date Congress has set for ending analog transmissions.

"We need to push the transition to its conclusion as expeditiously as possible," Commissioner Kathleen Q. Abernathy said.

Broadcasters hailed the decision. Edward O. Fritts, chairman of the National Association of Broadcasters, said it was "a powerful pro-consumer mechanism for moving the digital television transition forward."

But the Consumer Electronics Association warned that moving the digital tuner deadline for small TVs to the end of 2006 could result in sharp price increases for sets that are purchased mainly by low-income consumers.

"The unfortunate result of accelerating the tuner mandate deadlines for all sets would be to decrease the number of (digital TV) tuners in the marketplace, which clearly does not serve the transition," said Gary Shapiro, the association's president.

Digital signals do not have "snow" or interference associated with traditional analog transmissions. Digital also allows broadcasters to offer sharper, movie-theater quality pictures available as high-definition television. To see those eye-popping pictures, however, viewers will need a high-definition television set, or HDTV.

Most major TV manufacturers probably will meet the July 1 deadline for half of new midsize TVs to be digital ready, according to the CEA.

But FCC officials said the agency already is investigating several manufacturers that may not meet the deadline and intends to be much tougher in enforcing the requirement than it was with a similar requirement for large TVs, those 36 inches and up.

Manufacturers can be fined based on the number of days they are out of compliance and the number of sets below the 50 percent mandate.

The original 2002 tuner mandates set by the FCC required that half of large TVs be equipped with digital tuners by July 1, 2004, and that all of them be digital ready by this July 1.

Congress is considering proposals to set a deadline for ending analog television signals. The 1997 law setting the 2006 target deadline for the transition permits it to be extended in any market until 85 percent of the homes have a digital TV.

About 12 percent of U.S. households rely exclusively on over-the-air broadcast signals for their television, according to a CEA survey. Eighty-six percent have cable or satellite TV subscriptions, and 2 percent do not have any television.

Once traditional analog signals end, households without a digital TV that rely on over-the-air signals would have to purchase a converter box to continue using their analog sets. Those boxes can run upward of $100.

FCC Chairman Kevin Martin said if Congress sets a deadline to end analog broadcasts, the resulting demand for converter boxes would drive down the price. Congress also is considering a subsidy program to help offset converter costs for low-income households.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts