Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
We have just moved and are at that stage where everything is half done and nothing is finished. V. frustrating!!

We need to install the cabinet handles onto the kitchen cabinets. I have been searching on line for tips on how to keep everything straight, but the sites I find keep referring to a small plastic tool with holes which you use to align the handles. I think it is a type of template with pre-drilled hole options.

Does anyone know what this tool is called or have you used one and did it work?
We have been to Home Depot, Lowes and two local hardware stores and no-one has it - also it isn't easy to explain and half of the people just look at us like we are crazy.

If anyone knows we would be VERY grateful as maybe we can even order one on line.
Thank you!!!

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
I"m wondering if Home Depot and and Lowe's actually have it but didn't realize what you were looking for ? Did you ask for a template for installing kitchen cabinet door pulls? I actually had something like that ... it was plastic and could be used for various types of cabinets... Gosh, I wish I could remember where I got it but the only places I go that would carry something like that would be Lowe's or Home Depot...

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
It does exist, but I don't know the exact name. We just had our cabinets installed a few months ago, but the little tool came with the screws and knobs. If my bf comes home soon I will ask him for you. I know how you are feeling about everything being half done
!!

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
My cabinet maker used his own template for drilling the holes. I am sure Home Depot or Lowes will show you exactly what you need to do. As far as the handles themselves, I found a wonderful site... www.myknobs.com they had a wonderful selection and the best prices around. I have solid copper cup pulls and they were $56 each at Expo Design and $74 each at the fancy kitchen store. They were $14.95 each at MyKnobs. I have over 30 of them in my kitchen...knobs really add up when you realize that you need one on each cabinet door and sometimes two on each drawer (that's where all mine are!)

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
I just noticed that you're in Hoboken. Have you tried the Expo Center in Union? The may be a bit more in-tune to what you're talking about.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Originally posted by Nichole@May 9 2005, 01:42 AM
You can use the corner of a cereal box.  Cut the box so you have part of the bottom, side and front, hook the edge of the box on the corner of the cabinet and then make the holes.  This template can then be used for all your cabinets and all the spacing will be the same.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=60989
[/QUOTE]

I am clearly SO bad at this!! We finally found the tool, only to discover that our cabinets are not standard because the holes are not even close to where we want them.
Tried the cereal box method, did a trial on another piece of cardboard, and....... it was a 1/4 inch out!

I give in, we're going to have to hire someone.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts