Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking about seeing if Poppy liked the water, after it got warmer here.

We have a hot tub, which we can heat up, and it is salt water so chlorine wouldn't be an issue. Poppy might not ever be able to run free in our back yard, because there are too many dangers, so there's no risk of him running and jumping in on his own in the future. If he likes it, that might be a great way to exercise him.

I 'thought' I saw where someone on here has a baby that loves the water, but I'm not sure. My only concern would be ear infections, even though I'd try and keep his head above water.

Any thoughts?

HUGz! Jules

·
Premium Member
15,201 Posts
I have two malts who are crazy about the water and swimming

You can read the following threads to find more about how it all started
Snowy's Story. How did Kat discover that he is a crazy water lover, swimmer and retriever. Some people suggests that he should join the olympics lol when they see these type of pictures

Crystal's story. She goes all crazy jumping and swimming when she sees Snowy in there.

I don't allow them to swim very often - in summer time, they get more chances to swim (once every two weeks).

Regarding their ears, I clean them after they swim. Clean then and keep them dry ;)

Nothing beats seeing them happy.

hugs
Kat

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Love the photo slideshow Kat ... you were who I was thinking of!!

Now I'm off to read how it all got started! :thumbsup:

HUGz! Jules

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
Roo regularly swims in the river when the weather is warm. I try to remember to bring a long line so he has more room. I'm sure he'll enjoy the lake once we move this summer.
Sodie use to swim in the lake and pool when he was younger. Now he just hops in and out of the hot tub and otherwise lays on the cool wet rockway.
Swimming is great for them! The pool my dogs can go in is not chlorinated either...I don't think I'd let them swim too much if it was.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Roo regularly swims in the river when the weather is warm. I try to remember to bring a long line so he has more room. I'm sure he'll enjoy the lake once we move this summer.
Sodie use to swim in the lake and pool when he was younger. Now he just hops in and out of the hot tub and otherwise lays on the cool wet rockway.
Swimming is great for them! The pool my dogs can go in is not chlorinated either...I don't think I'd let them swim too much if it was.
If I can get Poppy swimming, all of my Golden friends are gonna trip out!

This got me thinking more earlier ... I wonder if anyone uses the treadmills to exercise their pups? I think that would be great too!! Guess I need to get busy! LOL

HUGz! Jules

·
Premium Member
5,487 Posts
Amber loves water - we stay by the beach during the summer and she swims most days. She loves water so much that she likes to try swimming in the water bowl and empties it with all her splashing:angry:

Roxy hates water and freaks out when she comes near it :(
She was found near a river when she was a young puppy - the rescue center said she was probably part of a litter that some horrible person tried to drown but she escaped some how - that theory is backed up by her severe fear of water :(

Milo has never been swiming but doesn't mind baths.

·
Premium Member
6,469 Posts
Hunter doesn't LOVE the water but he does LOVE being in the water with us. We use the water to help with his knees and weight in an environment that is less taxing on joints. He swims in a chlorinated pool but its a private pool (my inlaws) and not heavily chlorinated. He also gets a bath every night after a swim so if chlorinated water is your only opportunity - don't avoid it; just have a rule about baths after! I don't put Hunter in the hot tub because I'm not comfortable with him in water that's 102 which is what most hot tubs are set at to kill bacteria.

·
Registered
10,753 Posts
They looked liek they were having a blast. When I lived in Naples they'd go on teh floater w/ me but they didn't like to swim.
I tried letting mine swim,Emily did ok but Sasha had a hard time,her legs are shorter and her fur is much heavier and thicker than Emily's. I think if I kept them in shorter hair cuts they might like it. I bought a ramp so if the fluffs ever fell in they could do to the ramp to get out,since dogs will drown since they give up quite easily and tire easily in water. Funny a cat will swim like it's using all 9 lives plus but most dogs give up pretty quickly in comparison...
We had 2 cockers and a german shepherd that just loved to swim. I don't know about Rylee and Bitsy,I know they hate baths so we'll see if they like to swim. I don't encourage it,worried they'll do it before I can get to them. We have snapping turtles that come up from the creek sometimes...we don't have a pool,just a pond. I wouldn't want the snappers to hurt my babies.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hunter doesn't LOVE the water but he does LOVE being in the water with us. We use the water to help with his knees and weight in an environment that is less taxing on joints. He swims in a chlorinated pool but its a private pool (my inlaws) and not heavily chlorinated. He also gets a bath every night after a swim so if chlorinated water is your only opportunity - don't avoid it; just have a rule about baths after! I don't put Hunter in the hot tub because I'm not comfortable with him in water that's 102 which is what most hot tubs are set at to kill bacteria.
Luckily, we have a pool/spa heater, so we can set our water to be whatever temperature we want. :thumbsup:

It's so great to hear of other babies that like water.

JMM ... were you talking about Soda on the treadmill ... or me? :HistericalSmiley:

Maybe if you called it the Treatmill, Soda and I would like it better!!!

HUGz! Jules

·
Premium Member
8,623 Posts
Zoey hates the pool and Tess doesn't want in the water.
Emy loved it last summer and climbed on my float when I went close to the edge. I'm not sure she's crazy about swimming but she loved laying on the float.

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.