Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How large a picture can a 2mp camera produce without distorting the image? Is 3mp better picture quality or just able to print larger prints without distorting? I'm wondering cuz Motorola has a nice 2mp camera/phone, but I wanna be sure I can print nice sized photos. Or should I wait until a 3mp camera comes out.

I have a 4mp Canon Elph, but was told 3mp would've been sufficient for my needs.

I'm dying for a good camera phone, so I don't have to "lugg" around a camera and a phone.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
This is what I found when i did a search:
Pixels............File Size..........Print out Size
(How many).........(Saved)..........(Acceptable quality)

640x480...............900k..................2x3 inches
1024x768............2 Megabytes........3x5 inches
1-Megapixel.......3 Megabytes........4x6 inches
2-Megapixel.......6 Megabytes........5x7 inches
3-Megapixel.......9 Megabytes........8x10 inches
6-Megapixel.......20 Megabytes.......11x14 inches[/B]
Edit: The article was from May 2000 so it might be different now.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Personally I wouldn't get less than 3.0 megapixels. A lot of times you want to crop pictures and you won't be able to do that as much with anything less than that.

Some more info on digital cameras...Optical zoom is good and digital is bad. What I mean by that is that optical zoom is like the zoom on a traditional camera. But digital zoom is different what it does is take the individual pixels and moves them further about. So you ended up with a grainer picture. When you look for a camera look for on that has more optical then digital and you should be fine.

I have the Sony DSC-P200 and love it. My mom and brother have the same camera and also love it.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks so much for the tips. I never knew there was a optical vs digital zoom ~ guess I don't pay much attention to that. The tip about getting at least a 3mp camera phone for better photo cropping is also much appreciated. Guess I'll have to wait until America starts selling them.

Thanks again!
Mary

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Originally posted by mmforever@Oct 13 2005, 11:14 AM
Thanks so much for the tips.  I never knew there was a optical vs digital zoom ~ guess I don't pay much attention to that.  The tip about getting at least a 3mp camera phone for better photo cropping is also much appreciated.  Guess I'll have to wait until America starts selling them.

Thanks again!
Mary
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=109225
[/QUOTE]

This is the camera I have: Sony DSC-P200

I love it because I can really crop the pictures and they still look fine. I also love it because it fits into the 2nd cell phone pocket in my purse so I'm able to keep it with me all the time. My mom does the same thing.

When I was looking at digital cameras some of them were so bulky you wouldn't be able to do that. I love always having it with me.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Megapixels purely refers to size and resolution of the photo. Like Kristi, I have a P200 (red one) too. It is a 7 megapixel camera but I never take photos at the full resolution.

Many camera phones can take larger photos but they have poor lenses and the photo quality is not great.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I never really understood it. I always thought Higher the better, but i don't really know much.

I have the Canon SD500 7.1 megapixels and I love it.. I too heard that 3.0 megapixel and above is sufficient enough. :D

I'm planning on taking photography lessons someday.. lol..

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Never go under 3 megapixels. 3 megapixels is about equivalent to your 35mm camera. Why would you go out and buy a digital camera and it have worse quality than a 35 mm point n shoot camera?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.