Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know what I was thinking, buying a 7 lb. ham for Easter. It was just our family as my in-laws didn't come over (that's a completely different story...too long for today). We had it yesterday afternoon, late supper last night, in omlets this morning, and now for lunch. I kind of feel like having pizza for dinner tonight...hold the ham!

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Ha ha...we were invited to eat at a friend's house, so I don't have that problem...but I have eaten the HECK out of some deviled eggs!
I am the only one in the family that will eat them! So they are all mine! They are SO good....sometimes I just have to WALK AWAY!

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
My sister-in-law brought a 5lb ham when her and her family came for Easter dinner. They came Friday and stayed till Saturday night. We had Easter dinner Saturday night with them and my father-in-law. Mother-in-law came but left during dinner. Anyway my sister-in-law and her husband and their 4 year old don't eat ham so we also had a chicken. I LOVE ham and have had it for Easter every year since I can remember so I was going to make a ham even if I was the only one going to eat it lol. My husband doesn't eat chicken so he also ate the ham and so did my father-in-law. Anyway when they all left I sent them home with most of the leftovers. I gave my sister-in-law the broccoli casserole, mashed potatoes, and most of the chicken. Then I sent my father-in-law home with a huge container of ham and another huge container of chicken. Since John and I won't eat the chicken I made sure it was ALL taken. So now we are left with half a ham and a little more that we have been hacking away at for the past few days. I don't think I will ever get sick of ham but Easter Sunday night we had cereal for dinner lol. I wanted something simple because we had to get back to church for the showing of "The Passion of the Christ" by Mel Gibson. John and my second time watching it. We had HAM and egg sandwiches on bagels Sunday morning and I had a HAM sandwich after we got back from “The Passion”. We will probably have HAM again tonight too. Maybe I will make some more mashed potatoes because we have a huge bag full of potatoes taking up room in the kitchen! Anyone have any idea how to make a baked potato? I know you have to cook it in the skin and wrap it in aluminum foil but I don’t know what temp or how long to put it in for!
Hope everyone had a wonderful Easter!!!

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think I'm going to make some quiches and freeze them. Then I'm going to make some ham and bean soup. That should do it for the ham. It's all the other stuff too that I made. I made halupki (stuffed cabbage) and pierogies (kind of like ravioli stuffed w/mashed potatoes and sharp cheddar cheese). Those are always better the second day, so we're going to eat them for dinner tonight. But the eggs...they are endless...I have three kids and we dyed 18 eggs each! And not one of them broke. We have had deviled eggs and egg salad. I'm planning to make maccaroni, tuna and egg salad. Any other suggestions? I've even fed them to the puppy! She loved the yolks, spat out the whites.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Went to my sons for dinner yesterday and we ate early (about 4) so we went home and had NO LEFTOVERS. Well, I have to admit that by 7 last night Joe was in the fridge looking for something to eat!! We settled for some soup and a salad, I WISH we had left-over ham!!

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
This made me laugh. Our plans were so jumbled this year, grammy in the hospital, bf working and his family going out to eat, that I decided I would cook anyway, just for the two of us. Well, the ham was on sale for the WHOLE ham and it was less $ than a half. HAHA there is this giant ham in my fridge and I am still trying to get people to take some it. At least I got to take grammy a nice easter dinner while she is in that bummy place. I told everyone I am going to have ham coming out of my ears! Ham and cabbage anyone?

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm sorry to hear that your gram is in the hospital. I hope she's not in there long.

My Grammy is the one who taught me how to make halupki and pierogies! We had them every Easter...with ham of course. My kids and my husband don't really care for cooked cabbage. They don't know what they're missing. The best dish in the world is halushki...sauteed onions, cabbage and egg noodles with butter.

BTW, both of my Grammy's were originally from eastern PA.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Originally posted by FannyMay@Mar 28 2005, 02:21 PM
Anyone have any idea how to make a baked potato?  I know you have to cook it in the skin and wrap it in aluminum foil but I don’t know what temp or how long to put it in for! 
Hope everyone had a wonderful Easter!!!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=46873
[/QUOTE]

If I am baking them in the oven, I put them on 350. I usually microwave mine now. I poke holes in them and put them in a shallow baking dish with a tiny bit of water- in the microwave. I can do 4-6 small potatoes that way in 20-30 minutes! Much faster than the oven, and just as good to us! If you overcook-they are yuck...

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
No ham here. Usually we eat the same meal that we have for Thanksgiving and Christmas at Easter (turkey with the trimmings). Since Easter was so early no one really wanted turkey so this year we grilled steaks and chicken and my parents came over. I'm not a big ham fan.

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I like all the other stuff that I make along with the ham. I like it in omlets and quiches for example. I don't really care for baked ham, unless it's Easter.

Tlunn, Have you ever tried baked sweet potatoes? They are delicious.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
My mom and I talked about ham all day Friday and Saturday. Of course with all of the commotion of the weekend we didn't go shopping until 2:00 Sunday. It was just my parents and I for dinner, and of course we couldn't find anything smaller then a 10lb ham...we had chicken instead. It was DELICIOUS! I had chicken last night, will have more tonight, and chicken soup tomorrow!

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Originally posted by saltymalty@Mar 28 2005, 03:07 PM
I'm sorry to hear that your gram is in the hospital.  I hope she's not in there long.

My Grammy is the one who taught me how to make halupki and pierogies!  We had them every Easter...with ham of course.  My kids and my husband don't really care for cooked cabbage.  They don't know what they're missing.  The best dish in the world is halushki...sauteed onions, cabbage and egg noodles with butter. 

BTW, both of my Grammy's were originally from eastern PA.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=46887
[/QUOTE]

Thank you. I hope not also
Grammy is 88 and she is sharp as a tack
Shes having some heart trouble and I hate to see her like this. Shes my last of my 'grands', and the main one who spoiled me rotten! :D Its neat you have\had(?) family here. Do you know the area then? I often wonder what made my families settle in this stinkin COLD place.

I always forget to bake sweet potatos but they are very good for a change! My gram always gets them when we take her out. I have never microwaved them but I do the regular potatos like that because its so fast! You're right, no over doing them or they are bleh

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Originally posted by Sisses Momma@Mar 28 2005, 01:54 PM
I have no advice other than to develop a very good relationship with your Vet and follow their recommendations.  These cross breeds come with a very long laundry list of health and structure problems.  Good luck with your little one.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=46858
[/QUOTE]

Originally posted by saltymalty@Mar 28 2005, 03:29 PM
I like all the other stuff that I make along with the ham.  I like it in omlets and quiches for example.  I don't really care for baked ham, unless it's Easter. 

Tlunn, Have you ever tried baked sweet potatoes?  They are delicious.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=46899
[/QUOTE]

I like baked sweet pots esp. with brown sugar and butter!
Nobody else in my family likes them.

·
Registered
499 Posts
I'm sorry about your grammy, hope she comes home soon. And the rest of you, I am so jealous of your ham dinners. I worked Easter (not considered a Holiday), and because I work night shift, no cafeteria ham dinner either. My husband is away on a business trip, and my entire family is on the opposite coast. Just me and the dogs, so no reason to cook a holiday dinner. Oh well, maybe I can do some shopping for the puppies to make up for it!
Quincymom

1 - 14 of 14 Posts