Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

We are having some real concerns with our oldest recently. She seems to be very withdrawn and antisocial recently. We took her to the vet and they didn't say anything was wrong with her. She seems to be physically ok, but she's been acting different, almost depressed?

She pretty much stays under our bed all day and night when we're home now except when she wants to go outside. She used to always hang out in whatever room we were in, now she doesnt. Also she used to come up into bed with us every morning, and she stopped doing that too.

Also, she's excited to see us when she's been left at home, but then goes back to her seclusion pretty quickly.

She used to bark at us alot when she wanted things, now she hardly ever says anything??

We are taking both the girls home for new years with us, when we get back we are going to take her to the vet again and probably have her do a full check on her, and maybe bloodwork? If everything turns up ok. we are thinking about trying to talk to a behaviorist, or a dog psychologist... we're thinking maybe it's because we're spending so many hours working at our store and she's not liking it.

I hope that's not it, or there's something we can do because we're not sure what to do if it is the store??

Anyway, just wanted some opinions.

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
I cant really help ya, but I was assuming that you would take her to the store with you since it's a doggie boutique. Do you not take her to the store? Did this started since you opened the shop? Poor baby. I hope you discover the problem asap.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
GlamourDog, if the vet didn't do blood work during your visit, then I would not consider it much of an exam. Make sure you do a full blood panel, urinalysis, stool sample, etc. I would check for a low thyroid, which my first maltese had and her symptoms were somewhat like your baby's.

But she could be anemic, have a bladder infection or who knows what...... IMHO I doubt if it is mental, based on the fact that there haven't been huge changes in your home. I would think that if you are spending a lot of time working then she would be very happy to see you when you were home, etc. rather than being depressed. Dogs are sort of "in the moment" creatures. My strong assumption is that she doesn't feel well.

·
Registered
942 Posts
I have heard that dog psychics work...but I have never used one.

I agree, it sounds like something is physcially bothering her. Especially with that swift change in personality.

Hope all is well.

~Elegant

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
definitely do a blood work....JUST IN CASE.

sprite was like that for a while. what totally helped was alone time with her. not at home...but goingout to the park with her...just me and her.

put her on a 15 foot leash and just run around and play fetch with her.
she started wanting to play more with me and she started playing with the other dogs more. it helped a lot.

i hope everything is fine with your baby.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts