Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been so worried about Libby and took her to the vet today. She's been doing this honking thing contantly. I was thinking it was something bad with her Trechea(sp). Thank goodness, the vet think it's allergies. She put her on medication for two weeks, to see if it helps.

Anyone else have a honking dog? or one with allergies?:blink:

·
Premium Member
88 Posts
What type of medication did your vet give her? Most traditional vets will treat the symptoms of allergies, but the underlying cause will still be there. It is very common for allergies to be diet related. Does Libby have any other symptoms like scratching her ears, biting her paws, etc?

·
Premium Member
88 Posts
I should not have used the word "most". I would like to reword the sentence with "some."

Some traditional vets will treat the symptoms of allergies, but the underlying cause will still be there.

·
Registered
6,958 Posts
Allergies can be soooo tricky. It is actually more common for allergies to be environmental, rather than food related.

Harley has environmental allergies, and the first 2 vets we saw treated the symptoms with meds (prednisone), which I hated. We finally visited a Vet Derm and he was skin tested for a complete diagnosis. He was allergic to pretty much everything environmental ... grass, dust, pollen etc ... He has been receiving desensitization treatment for the last 2.5 years and has been doing REALLY well. Desensitization treatment isn't always successful, but I'm glad I took this option, as in Harley's case, he seems to be coping really, really well.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi,

Thank you!

The only symptom she has is the honking/caughing noise. The vet believes it's from excess mucus. Her lungs/heart sounded find to the dr.

Last night Libby was really bad but I had taken her to the park were the grass was just cut. The pollen count is really high here too.

She's on Chlorpheniramine twice a day.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
My Bailey has allergies. We know for sure that she is allergic to chicken but she is probably allergic to more things. I haven't allergy tested her because I have been able to manage them by adjusting her diet and watching closely for symptoms. Her vet put her on Atopica but it was too strong for her and upset her tummy really bad. Now when I see that she is showing signs of being bothered by them I give her Benadryl and it seems to take care of whatever is bothering her.

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Poor Lady used to be like that every Spring from the pollen here in the Southeast.

She gets Zyrtec everyday now.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Thankfully, Spookie doesn't seem to have any allergies. My Aussie was allergic to spring here. It was horrible for both of us. Much bigger dog, 55#, some days he would get 100mg Benadryl, really didn't help much. We did the pred, I hated what it did to him, hungry, thirsty, and what goes in, will come out. I'll never give that to a dog again.

If it isn't a food allergy, try to keep the fluff inside with the A/C on as much as possible. That's what humans are supposed to do too.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you all!

Libby is worse outside, that's for sure.

The honking is better but she sounds stuffed up if that's possible to understand in a dog LOL:HistericalSmiley:

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
Benadryl is generally not that effective for most dogs. There are lots of antihistamines out there...just like with people you have to try a few and see what is most effective for your dog. Yes Zyrtec can be used in dogs. Never give any OTC medication without consulting your veterinarian first.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Ramsey has these same issues. I got him 5 months ago when pollen was high, and I was so worried about him. I figured if I went to the vet they would say I was crazy when I told him he sounded like he had a stuffed nose in the morning which always lead to reverse sneezing so I recorded a video on my phone. First I gave him some benadryl, which didn't help and he had 0% energy. So I took him to the vet and he gave me some steroid type meds which didn't help at all. I'm still looking for an answer, however I'm going to have to look for another vet as my vet made it sound like I'm more looking for a cure "because I don't want to put up with the sound" (not the first time we have not agreed on something). Right now he's been OK because pollen is a little less here in FL. I will let you know what I find out. I did see at Petco last night when I went for cat food that they sale some Allergy tabs for Dogs: Here's one I saw PETCO Allergy Tablets at PETCO anyone every try anything like this or this Only Natural Pet Aller-Free 7 Herbal Formula for Pets?

·
Premium Member
8,543 Posts
Some years ago Alex used to have very bad reverse sneezing attacks from time to time. He even threw up. It was also because of excess mucus in his throat. The vet at the time gave him some syrup called something like Tussyorganidin. It's a long time I don't remember the exact name. But it helped.

·
Registered
5,653 Posts
my dolce doesnt have allergies but i do n it sucks , so i can imagine what ur bbay feels , it sucks , hope u get some meds that help.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts