Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
I have not tried that. We had planned on using a puppy litter box because we lived in an apartment. Good thing we moved to a house with a backyard because the puppy litter box 100% did not work. They just wanted to chew on the litter or curl up and sleep in the box.

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
Hi Lisa, I don't have any experience with one of these but I also looked in to buying a Potty Patch or something like that for Bailey when I first got him. I mainly trained him to go outside but wanted one of these to put in his puppy pen. I read tons of reviews for different brands and for the most part, a lot of them said that these smelled really bad. A lot of the reviews said that these would be good to use on a patio but indoors, they are too smelly unless you are very diligent about washing it out constantly. I decided against a potty patch and now I used a puppy pad with a holder to keep it in place...it's less of a hassle for me, because all I have to do is change the puppy pad once a day. Taking the entire potty patch apart and washing it out all the time would be too much of a hassle, in my opinion.

·
Membership Suspended
2,839 Posts
Heidi (gibbert) bought one and last we heard it was working. Here's her thread about it.
We received our Pet Patch!

You could PM her - she hasn't been around since August.

Heidi, I miss you and the "T's":wub:

·
Premium Member
24,025 Posts
Lisa - I think there may have been an old thread about this...maybe a year or so ago. I don't think it would be that easy to clean. I use wee wee pads. Tyler totally goes on them when I don't take him out, but he also goes outside when I walk him. He squats at home;lifts his leg outside.:thumbsup: The ones I get don't leak and don't smell. It's easy - we pick them up and replace after two or three pees. We can't use any kind of reusable pads because we live in an apt building with communal, commercial washer dryers in the basement and there are big signs saying we are not allowed to wash pet paraphernalia in them. :w00t: I have to take his things to my house in VT to wash (bed, covers).

·
Registered
198 Posts
We also use disposable piddle pads when the girls are going to be inside. Like I said, we tried the litter box and it was a no go but the piddle pads work great. In my experience, they do not confuse the pups at all, as our girls go outside very easily and come back in and later use their pads just as easily. No accidents, either.

About the pottypatch, we researched that and people either loved it or thought it was terrible, no in between. I guess one of the big issues is the smell thing, which someone mentioned above. It does have to be completely washed on a regular basis to help keep the smell down. Like I said, we never used one so I am not speaking from experience, just from what I found while researching potty options. :)

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Lisa - I think there may have been an old thread about this...maybe a year or so ago. I don't think it would be that easy to clean. I use wee wee pads. Tyler totally goes on them when I don't take him out, but he also goes outside when I walk him. He squats at home;lifts his leg outside.:thumbsup: The ones I get don't leak and don't smell. It's easy - we pick them up and replace after two or three pees. We can't use any kind of reusable pads because we live in an apt building with communal, commercial washer dryers in the basement and there are big signs saying we are not allowed to wash pet paraphernalia in them. :w00t: I have to take his things to my house in VT to wash (bed, covers).

I was going to do washable pads but saw this and thought I'd try it. I do want her to be able to go outside and in. I work FT and she will be alone most days from 9-3:30. I have an x-pen that I plan to use with the potty mat/grass mat in it. So, if I also want her to go outside do I wait until she is trained on the mat or do both at the same time?

·
Premium Member
5,785 Posts
I bought that one for the girls and they would not use it. The "grass" is plastic and tended to shed all over the floor. Plus, I think if they had peed on it, I would have had to either soak up the pee with a potty pad or paper towels or try to carry the tray somewhere to clean it without spilling it. If they pooped on it, I can imagine that it would have stuck to the "grass." I ditched the grass and now use the tray under my sink to protect the bottom of the cabinet. lol

We use the human pads from Sam's Club and really like them - they are big and very reasonably priced.

Linda

·
Registered
13,404 Posts
I don't know about the fake grass but I do know the ones with real grass are popular. I personally know of one yorkie person who keeps one on her balconey for her yorkie to use when the weather is not good enough to go outside with her.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
I don't know about the fake grass but I do know the ones with real grass are popular. I personally know of one yorkie person who keeps one on her balconey for her yorkie to use when the weather is not good enough to go outside with her.
I wonder where you get real grass that will last ... especially in the middle of winter? This sounds like a great idea for us, I could put it on the patio for rainy, cold days.

HUGz! Jules

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Oh, I'm not sure if I should even open this thing. Skittle is already pee pad trained from the trainer (a little) so maybe I should just keep doing that. She makes her own with waterproof backing or something and said she would give us a couple. She makes up care packages for her new puppy families. I'll have to think quickly since we get to pick her up on Sunday.

·
Premium Member
8,623 Posts
My brother has one and he said his dogs used it so I ordered one. I really had hoped they would because it would be a life saver when the weathers bad but they thought I had lost my mind. :blink: I sent it to my son so he could try it, it was a no go again. I don't know anyone else that has tried it but it sure didn't work well here.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I found out today that it has "pads" that you can buy for it. There were 5 for 19.99. To me it seemed just like pee pads but they are under the grass. I'm taking this dumb thing back. It's not worth it to me. I don't want to have to pick up the tray and empty it daily.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts