Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody! I'm going to be graduating soon (ok, thats a lie....lets say in about 2 years...I hope
) and I'm afraid of what this means for Bella. Right now, I'm a full time student and get to spend about 80% of my time with Bella. Granted, my nose is constantly in the books, but I'm here. Until I save up enough money to start my business I'm going to have to work a regular eight hour day after graduation. How do Maltese handle this? Will she be Ok? I'm worried about her eating schedule, since I usually feed her a little treat every three hours or so. Anyone leave their baby all day?? I guess if I try it and she doesn't do well mommy (me) just might have to get a loan much sooner than expected
I know that most people work all day, and no dog has ever stoppped loving them because of it, I guess I just need some reassurance

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
I say don't worry about it now. Two years is a ton of time... you may be married by then or have a job where you live close enough to come home from work, or have a roommate or gosh knows what...

Enjoy the great schedule you have now and save your worries for later!!

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I probably should stop worrying since its so far away, I think I have worrying issues......I'm going to end up Dr. Phil's show any day now

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
Originally posted by bellasmommy@Jul 15 2005, 06:07 PM
I probably should stop worrying since its so far away, I think I have worrying issues......I'm going to end up Dr. Phil's show any day now

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=81808
[/QUOTE]
lol!! Just tell me and I'll write the letter to him! Already have the first couple words down

"Dear Dr.Phil..."

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
My baby is perfectly happy staying at home for 8 hrs by himself. We just take him for a super long walk before we leave and he sleeps all day.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Puddles stays home alone during the day. From day 1 we never had to take him out during the night for potty and he never messed up his crate, we were lucky!

Our schedule:
Hubby takes him out to potty @ 6:30. I take him out again @7:30, before I leave. He's given 3 treats before I leave (guilt trip) and his dry food / water is out during the day. He has run of the house since potty trained. Hubby is home @ 4:30 and he goes to potty, I'm home @ 5:30 and he goes back out for a 30 min play in the yard.

Until he was old enough to hold it, I would come home at lunch for potty run @ 12:00. Did that for a week and the next week didn't come home until 1:00. Next week didn't come home until 2:00.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
the buttercup has never had the luxury of getting into a "schedule" or "routine". poor baby LOL. when i got her, i was still in school, just finishing up, and working 2 part time jobs, but yet i was never away for more than 4 hours at a time. i worked and schooled close to home, so that helped in getting her trained for outside potties.

i've worked full time for baseball teams where i might be at the ballpark for over 12 hours at at a time. if i'm able to have someone come walk her or feed her, i do, otherwise, i keep her gated in the kitchen or other large tiled room with a bunch of her stuff (bed, crate, potty pad, food, toys, and our first apartment together had a bathroom big enough for all of this!!!!!) and she would be fine. there havent been many times where she HAS HAD to wait that long until someone "comes to her rescue" but it HAS unfortunately happened.

i walk to work now, and come home on lunch breaks when i get a chance. now that i have a boyfriend that i adore, and who adores buttercup almost as much as i do (really!! he's awesome!!!) she is rarely alone for more than 8 hours at a time. and she is asleep in the kitchen most of the time anyway LOL. i am fortunate that my landlord loves buttercup and is always willing to come walk/feed/play with her if i am going to be at the ballpark for an ungodly amount of time.

it's not a schedule i recommend for anyone, but the buttercup and i...well, we make it work out. and she is no worse off for it. she is one of the happiest pups i've ever seen
she adores everyone, and grew up very socialized, not barky, not needy, not whiny when i leave, and she loves her bed in the kitchen SOOOOO much (whew!).

ann marie and the "i'm not neglected, i've just learned to be independent. but now i have a cute boy come take care of me. i'll let him think i'm helpless, he'll fall for it!" buttercup

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
We have to leave Caesar alone during the day. I am a nurse and work some 8 hour days and some 12 hour days(varies weekly). Hubby is a teacher so he has the summer off. We leave Caesar in a big crate that has a water bowl connected to the side, we leave food and treats in there, the bottom is padded with a sheet and a blanket (a sheet is over the blanket now so he doesn't get too hot since it is the summer), toys and I think that is it. He does absolutely great. Actually we just have to open his cage and he goes right on in there to munch on his treats. I also think it is a little quiet time for him.
We also leave this big meaty bone in there for him to chew on and I take it otu when it starts to get thin (he scrapes his teeth on it). It is not a real bone, like a big bone cookie kind of. Anyway, I hope this helps some.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts