Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got back finally i think i was gona a little over a week, my like 11 week old puppy as travling all over the place i was worryed becuase he is so young i didnt want him to get sick or hurt but it wasnt exactly like we were taking a vacation, anyways i live on like a little over and acre and our yard is a mess lol trees are like ripped out of the ground, screens on the porch are torn, the fence is gone and the power line next door was knocked down until yesterday, thankfully our house is alright i was jsut wondering if there was anyone else on here who got hit becuase we also have a house in melbourne that we are waiting to sell so i saw what were supposed to be the 2 hardest hit areas and wanted to know how things were going in other places

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
I am not in the hurricane areas...but we are supposed to head out to Panama City Beach mid October....oh lord...please...I only get to the beach once a year...please don't take away my beautiful Gulf sand and water!

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Lilly, my daughter lives in Boca (Palm Beach County) and they were initially going north to Orlando to stay with her husband's parents but Frances changed course so they went south to Weston to stay with her husband's sister. Since Frances took her sweet time offshore they were there for 5 days. 5 children, 6 adults and 3 Maltese in the "cave" because of the window shutters. At least they had electricity, which many people had lost already.

At home in Boca, no damage to their home except an olive tree was stripped bare on only one side. Others had trees down and shingles gone. They are going to have their other trees trimmed for hurricanes. I don't know exactly what that means but it makes it more difficult for them to be toppled in strong winds. Their electricity went out for a few hours, then on for a few days, then off for another 2 days. Which is nothing compared to neighbors a block away who STILL DON"T HAVE ELECTRICITY! Imagine living without electricity for several weeks. I can't. Talk about early to bed, early to rise. :D

Now it looks like the West coast is going to get some water surge even though Ivan won't hit the peninsula directly. This is supposed to be the early part of a 10 year high hurricane activity period. The past 24 years was a low activity period for hurricanes in that area. Not to depress you, just to inform. Maybe you'll do like my daughter and ask for Home Depot gift cards for Christmas and get a generator.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh yeah the generators we were wishing we had one of those so bad lol while the hurrican was actully hitting i was having a good time down in key west but then they had to totaly evacuate the keys because they thought ivan was going to hit so we went to melbourne with these 2 people 1 i had never met and it ended up being 5 people and 6 dogs in the house (3 of which made my untraided puppy look very well behaved in comparison) i am not suprized about how this is a active period for hurricans becuase i think in all the time i have lived here (16 years) andrew has been the only major storm but this year we already have charley, frances, and ivan will be hitting floirda soon it killed like 68 people as of this afternoon (was a cat. 5 yesterday but now its only a 4) plus the new tropical storm that jsut started today jean or something like that i think oh well just so long as no one gets hurt

·
Registered
707 Posts
I'm in South Beach, Miami so I had to evacuate for Frances. I went to my parent's house in west Miami and we didn't get much at all. A lot of rain and some wind but no big deal. It was very frustrating with the shutters since we were in the dark for 5 days too but at least we did have electricity.

Triste: don't worry...things start slowing down on October. The peak for hurricanes is August and September. Your vacation should be fine...enjoy! :D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts