Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
20,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Does anyone know about ducks or a duck's eggs???

see that low shrub in the bottom of the picture - it's in the corner of our yard near the street. There is a duck's nest in there...if you see something red, that's from Stan - he gives her water and food on hot days. (it's a red plastic cup)
View attachment 87426

A duck has sat on this next tirelessly for a good 3 or 4 weeks....but a few days ago she left. I guess they're not going to hatch....what a shame....
View attachment 87427

·
Registered
5,653 Posts
i have no clue about ducks or eggs ... :( cant something be done for them to hatch ?

·
Registered
552 Posts
I would trust Momma duck....she may have abandoned them for good reason. They may be "duds"....or maybe Momma duck is no longer with us. Or if somehow they are fine and you mess with them, Momma may not come back to them.

Of course I don't really know anything about ducks, just my two cents. :)

·
Registered
13,404 Posts
I agree with April. Best left untouched for awhile just in case. Other than that, all I know is ducks quack me up! :LOL:

·
Registered
17,036 Posts
Pat I just googled it and apparently it takes 28-30 days for the eggs to hatch. Did you try listening to the egg to see if you could hear anything inside?

·
Premium Member
24,175 Posts
Pat maybe momma duck decided you would be a better mom then she was.:HistericalSmiley: Hopefully they are ok, I'll be watching to see if just maybe we will be awnties to some duckies:wub:

·
Registered
552 Posts
Help...There's a Duck Nest in My Flower Pot!

Says about what I suspected--by the time you can be sure Momma abandoned the eggs, it's too late to do anything--not that most things you can do will really help.

I still remember when we went to Disney world when I was little and our hotel had a lake with a momma duck and 6 cute little ducklings....on the first day. The second day....only five. The next day, four, then three....they hotel staff told us there was an alligator in the lake! By the time we left Momma was down to one duckling!! :eek: It's a rough life out there for ducks.

·
Premium Member
20,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
She's still not back yet....i guess they're not going to hatch...I don't want to touch them....just in case....not yet...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts