Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Premium Member
938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning a trip to the big apple and attempting to select a couple shows for us to see. We have a fourteen year old daughter whom is very intellegent and mature. She has seen many stage productions. We are parents that really consider the content prior to purchasing tickets for a show [or a movie]. We do not allow movies higher than pg13 without our viewing them for content first. Anyway, has anyone seen Chicago on the stage? I am under the impression that the dance might be too sexual for a family show. I know the costumes are very sparse. My daughter has been dancing for over ten years and wants to go for the dance aspect, but I think it's too much. Any comments from the Moms out there???

· Premium Member
938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Originally posted by Fach@Sep 23 2005, 10:34 AM
I am planning a trip to the big apple and attempting to select a couple shows for us to see. We have a fourteen year old daughter whom is very intellegent and mature. She has seen many stage productions. We are parents that really consider the content prior to purchasing tickets for a show [or a movie]. We do not allow movies higher than pg13 without our viewing them for content first. Anyway, has anyone seen Chicago on the stage? I am under the impression that the dance might be too sexual for a family show. I know the costumes are very sparse. My daughter has been dancing for over ten years and wants to go for the dance aspect, but I think it's too much. Any comments from the Moms out there???
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=102536
[/QUOTE]
Maybe someone will read the post that has been to the broadway show. I am just so worried about the dancing. from the snippets i saw it was a bit much. I'm sure my HUSBAND would love it though!!!

· Premium Member
938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Originally posted by saltymalty@Sep 23 2005, 12:55 PM
It is a wonderful show.  I would not take my 12 year old to see it, and I'm not sure I'd take her until she was 16, but that's just me.  On the other hand, is it worse than anything that they see in a PG13 movie...not really.  I think maybe you should let your daughter be your guide in this.  Will she enjoy it?  Will she be uncomfortable during the performance?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=102600
[/QUOTE]
As a dancer she would enjoy the dance aspect up to the point where is is tooo provacative. I'll discuss it with her. if it were just she and I, it might be ok. I think she would be uncomfortable with her dad there. That is IF THE dancing is as I think it is. Does that make sense? I confuse myself sometimes

· Premium Member
938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Originally posted by Fach@Sep 23 2005, 10:34 AM
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=102536
[/QUOTE]
Well, she dances on pointe, jazz, and tap. She really would enjoy the dance aspect. we have a very open line of communication together and can talk about anything. I gueess I have to go with my gut and say no to this one. My feeling is that just because she is aware of certian aspects of life doesnt mean it is apprpriate for me to place them in front of her. For example she is fully aware of the facts of life, but I don't think she should watch most r rated movies due to content. She should think about kid issues not adult issues. Although i am aware the "kid" issues these days are not as innocent as they used to be. thank you everyone for your in put. I really do appreciate your feedback. There are many other choices on broadway and I'm sure we will have a great time.

PS I think someone asked what shows she HAS seen. These were all great {and kid friendly] except lion King. Didn't like that one.
Phanton of the Opera
Les Miserables
42nd Street
Lion King
Cats
River dance
Oaklahoma
That is all I remember. if you have the chance to go, these are all great.
Thats all I can remember

· Premium Member
938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Originally posted by HollyHobbie@Sep 24 2005, 12:31 PM
Just a question....you didn't llike Lion King or didn't think it was kid friendly?

I am dieing to see that one. If you didn't like it what was it you didn't like. or was it good you just didn't think it was Kid friendly?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=102867
[/QUOTE]
Kid friendly, great sets, just boring for me. It would be great for the younger kids. I have to say most I know that have gone liked it. It just didn't interest me beyond the mechanics of the animals.

· Premium Member
938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Originally posted by Vikki and Audrey@Sep 24 2005, 04:16 PM
Chicago is fine and has a wonderful music and dance score. I would have been much more hesitant to take a young girl to Les Mis than to Chicago!!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=102934
[/QUOTE]
That is good news. I would have never thought that comparing the two. Thank you.

· Premium Member
938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Originally posted by Theresa@Sep 25 2005, 09:24 AM
i took my daughter to NY last Easter just me and her. we saw Chicago and Mama mia she was 15 at that time and also danced for many years she saw the movie and loved the play Would i take her again in a heart beat . We tohave a great relationship and talk about everything.  I think the theatre is a great form of art and I did not feel uncomfortable at all watching it with her, she was more interested in the story and the music .  Mama Mia is a great one for all ages. I recommend it over Chicago I just liked it better Loved the music.
I too try to protect my children  so my advise for you is to go with your gut feeling u know her better than anyone.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=103169
[/QUOTE]
Wow, all great advise. Thanks everyone. Actually, she did see momma mia. I forgot to add that one b/c she went with someone else. She loved it. I know the subject matter in les Mis is strong[ FYI, no longer on broadway], but i don't recall any scenes that were too much for her. It is a powerful show, just as Phantom can be at times. The joy of theater. One thing I find really great reading these responses to my question is how this generation is including and exposing our children to the theater. In times past Mom and dad dressed up and went to the theater, while the children had pizza and a sitter. How nice to be exposed to culture from a young age.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.