Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting Rocky off the Natural Balance Organic...he won't eat it unless I put boiled chicken with it. I am tired of cooking chicken for him and I don't want to continue that, so I heard about this food but before I buy another food does anyone have a good experience with giving this to their pup? I've been reading up and Holistic foods and thought this would be good. Thanks

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
I posted a thread a few months ago about how my malt got sick from eating Nutro natural choice. The food was horrible. She had diahrrea and as soon as I stopped this food she was okay. It smells bad too. I will never ever buy Nutro food......they also have various recalls and they are also being investigated.

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What do you suggest...please name a few if you can, thank you. I'm looking for dry food but will give a little canned with it.

I am not a fan of Nutro. They have a history of changing their formulas without telling buyers as well as being involved in food recalls.

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I agree. :thumbsup:

Nutro just recalled some of their cat food a few days ago. It seems to be ongoing with this company.

Pet food company Nutro announces recall of dry cat food | L.A. Unleashed | Los Angeles Times
Thanks for this info....I see they had a recall on their dry cat food...dog food too?

I am not a fan of Nutro. They have a history of changing their formulas without telling buyers as well as being involved in food recalls.
Wow...thanks for this info...what do you all suggest?

I am definitely not a fan of Nutro food.
Any suggestions would be appreciated...I'm glad I didn't buy it yet. This is why I ask first....you are all so helpful.

I posted a thread a few months ago about how my malt got sick from eating Nutro natural choice. The food was horrible. She had diahrrea and as soon as I stopped this food she was okay. It smells bad too. I will never ever buy Nutro food......they also have various recalls and they are also being investigated.
YUCK!!! I just want a GOOD food he'll like, sigh....He's been on Natural Balance Organic for months...but he just doesn't like it.

Acana pacifica ? spelling lol

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
I think Rocky is like my Vanilla. Has everchanging taste buds. These are my rotation foods.
1. Cani-source (dehydrated raw) her favourite !
2. Acana Prairie or Pacifica
3. Merrick canned ( Grammy's pot pie, smothered chicken)
4.Fromm........seems really good but my malt will not eat it

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
Acana grasslands is another option. Mine doesn't like fish for some reason, so the Acana Pacifica wasn't so popular with her..but she'll does okay on the Grasslands. (she probably prefers not to eat kibble ever..but I give it to her mixed with some wet (with homecooked, raw or canned- I rotate the wet).

·
Registered
1,385 Posts

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
When you mix it with canned what kind is it? What homecooked do you give her, chicken? I was giving Rocky boiled chicken but believe it or not he sometimes doesn't eat that either. He does like salmon.

Acana grasslands is another option. Mine doesn't like fish for some reason, so the Acana Pacifica wasn't so popular with her..but she'll does okay on the Grasslands. (she probably prefers not to eat kibble ever..but I give it to her mixed with some wet (with homecooked, raw or canned- I rotate the wet).

·
Registered
6,246 Posts
In all fairness, I'd rather not recommend any dry or canned food anymore because I rarely use it, except for a bit of Acana kibble in Nikki's Kong toy every once in a while.

The best tool for those of you who feed kibble or canned commercial food is a subscription to Whole Dog Journal. They carefully test and review foods. Commercial pet food formulas change for various reasons, and it is difficult to keep up. Whole Dog Journal releases a report every year to subscribers on commercial pet food. If I were feeding commercial food, I'd definitely be a subscriber.

The Whole Dog Journal | Dog Food Reviews - Dog Care - Dog Training

I am going to cross-post this to the pinned food thread.

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hi Susan....thanks so much for sending this link. I tried to subscribe but right now they are doing maintenance on the entire site, so it says to try again later. It seems like it's a great place for all of us newbies to go. The last time I had a dog was in the 80's for 16 years...she was a Mini Schnauzer that ate anything and was so healthy..never a vet bill. This time I'm trying to be more careful knowing now what I know about dog food. Do you home cook? Thanks again!!!

In all fairness, I'd rather not recommend any dry or canned food anymore because I rarely use it, except for a bit of Acana kibble in Nikki's Kong toy every once in a while.

The best tool for those of you who feed kibble or canned commercial food is a subscription to Whole Dog Journal. They carefully test and review foods. Commercial pet food formulas change for various reasons, and it is difficult to keep up. Whole Dog Journal releases a report every year to subscribers on commercial pet food. If I were feeding commercial food, I'd definitely be a subscriber.

The Whole Dog Journal | Dog Food Reviews - Dog Care - Dog Training

I am going to cross-post this to the pinned food thread.

·
Registered
6,246 Posts
Hi Susan....thanks so much for sending this link. I tried to subscribe but right now they are doing maintenance on the entire site, so it says to try again later. It seems like it's a great place for all of us newbies to go. The last time I had a dog was in the 80's for 16 years...she was a Mini Schnauzer that ate anything and was so healthy..never a vet bill. This time I'm trying to be more careful knowing now what I know about dog food. Do you home cook? Thanks again!!!

Yes, I home cook.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts