Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! I'm 6 classes from graduating (MA) and I've been thinking about different jobs. Yesterday I saw an ad for a receptionist at a vets office and it sounds appealing. Maybe not as a forever job, but it sounds intriguing. Anyone worked at a vets office or have any advice? I haven't applied yet because I don't know if I really want the job, or if it's only appealing because I would get to see all the furballs everyday. Also, I don't know how much it would pay. Any thoughts? Happy Holidays Everyone!

By the way, I did send in my resume to three schools last week for English teaching positions, go figure. I guess I'm not sure what I want. If I get the teaching job I want, I would get to teach English and I love English so that would be great. But...If I worked at a vets I would get to see so many animals and help keep them happy. Oh if I could just be 16 and know everything again!

·
Registered
404 Posts
Is your income a big deal right now? I believe (depending on where you are) that a teaching position would pay a lot more than a vet receptionist. But I understand how you feel about not knowing what you want to do. I live in central California and a receptionist job pays anywhere between $7-9, but if the position requires extra skills, they possibly pay up to $11 or 12/hr. (very rarely tho). I'd just go ahead and apply for the vet receptionist job and then wait and see which employers call and which ones don't. Go to the interviews, then decide. Good luck!

·
Registered
802 Posts
Is your income a big deal right now? I believe (depending on where you are) that a teaching position would pay a lot more than a vet receptionist. But I understand how you feel about not knowing what you want to do. I live in central California and a receptionist job pays anywhere between $7-9, but if the position requires extra skills, they possibly pay up to $11 or 12/hr. (very rarely tho). I'd just go ahead and apply for the vet receptionist job and then wait and see which employers call and which ones don't. Go to the interviews, then decide. Good luck!
[/B]

You hit it right on the nose. I worked as a receptionist, and believe me, you are the low man on the todding pole, after a while it will get to you.

In NY a substitute makes 126 dollars a day and 41 or 42k a year. A professor or adjunct teaching english would make about 60 an hour.

Compared to an average vet receptionist @ 7-10 dollars...pass on that.

Even I considered applying to work at various animal shelters in NY, then I thought about the pay.

ANother idea is...if you want to see fur balls start your own toy pup play group.

I graduated majoring in Humanities and elementary ed, I did not like it. I taught adults english as a second language in miami for 26 dollars an hour. I am not crazy about that either.

I am starting my CASAC training in January and hope to become a teen drug councelor combining my child ed with my nature to councel and make less than a teacher but love what i do.

In my 30's I finally found my way.....it takes time, I'll tell you. I know way too many people who are miserable with what they do...I refused to settle, so now I know where my heart is. Never be one of those people who settle...it's not worth it. I'm sure many of them think I am spoiled...and maybe I am...but,....

Go with your heart, but have limitations.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts