Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if any of you guys do this or ever have? The classes or the DVDs at home?

I finally watched the infomercial for the zumba fitness the other day and they reeled me in :HistericalSmiley: I just haven't been able to get motived to work out. I did really really good last year, lost 10lbs got all toned up. Then over the winter last year I just fell off the wagon and been bad ever since haha...so unfortunately those 10lbs I lost crept back up! :angry:

So I figured what the heck. I really like the Just Dance game for the Wii, it's more fun than feeling like a work out, but it's kinda annoying to hold the remote and stuff. So I ordered it and it should be here by Wed, hahahha. Figured I'll try and get an early start on the "new year" resoultion we all make every year hahahha. Lost that 10lbs again!!!

But then my mom was just talking to her friend tonight and she's getting it for her daughter for Christmas, and her son is getting it for his wife too, so I guess we can all have zumba parties at our houses hahhaha.

I hope it's as much fun, as I am excited for it...

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
I tried Zumba for a couple of months earlier this year. I loved the music and the intensity. It's a great low-impact workout. But what drove me crazy is they don't call out the moves like in step or floor aerobics--you just have to "know". Since my mind-reading skills are somewhat lacking, I got frustrated with it and quit.

·
Registered
10,733 Posts
I thought about Zumba dvd's too,should be interesting since "I got no rhythm"!
I need somethign fun to do for aerobic/ cardio. Believe it or not I do love Jayne Fonda's work outs,she has a ruitine that has about 10 different dance type ruitines that I really like. she calls out the steps too so us uncoordinated people can do them w/o getting tied into a human pretzel!!

·
Registered
7,034 Posts
I do the Zumba classes and love them. It does take a while to get used to the various moves, and each instructor does it differently. It's fun and burns up lots of calories. There are all age levels in most of my classes from teens to seniors. Everyone does the moves at their own level. A really good instructor will show you basic levels and more advanced steps. It is certainly much more fun than your basic exercise classes.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well my DVDs have shipped and should be here Wed!!! I am excited, I'll report back how I did, hahahhaha. I was a "dancer" when I was like 6 haha, ballet and tap...thats about as much coordination as I've ever had hahahha. Should be interesting...

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
Amanda, I felt like I was hearing myself speak when I read your post. I was into Zumba when it first came to our gym and I loved it. My knees did not. You have to be careful not to twist your knees. But I loved it!! I lost lots of inches doing it and pounds. I want to try it again, maybe I'll buy the dvd too!:chili:We can all do it...it's so much fun.

Just wondering if any of you guys do this or ever have? The classes or the DVDs at home?

I finally watched the infomercial for the zumba fitness the other day and they reeled me in :HistericalSmiley: I just haven't been able to get motived to work out. I did really really good last year, lost 10lbs got all toned up. Then over the winter last year I just fell off the wagon and been bad ever since haha...so unfortunately those 10lbs I lost crept back up! :angry:

So I figured what the heck. I really like the Just Dance game for the Wii, it's more fun than feeling like a work out, but it's kinda annoying to hold the remote and stuff. So I ordered it and it should be here by Wed, hahahha. Figured I'll try and get an early start on the "new year" resoultion we all make every year hahahha. Lost that 10lbs again!!!

But then my mom was just talking to her friend tonight and she's getting it for her daughter for Christmas, and her son is getting it for his wife too, so I guess we can all have zumba parties at our houses hahhaha.

I hope it's as much fun, as I am excited for it...

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
I absolutely HATE working out, but I do Zumba at my local YMCA. I've been going off and on for about a month, but I do love it! The classes are 1hr long (50+ minutes of actual working out plus a 5+min cooldown of stretching) and I love it because the hour goes by so fast. :)

The intensity of Zumba varies greatly with each instructor. I've had two instructors that were so slow-paced and they weren't even in good shape themselves (lol)! I only go to one instructor now and she is known to be the most difficult instructor here in Spokane. Everyone, including her, is dripping in sweat by the end of the class. Most people will burn 500-1,000 calories in her one-hour class. Like someone else said, they don't call out the moves verbally, you just follow along. If you attend more than once or twice per week you will memorize the choreography in a week or two...I just stay in the back or on the end until I memorize it well enough so I don't bump into anyone. :)

I am trying to lose 20lbs (I am 5'4" and weigh 149lbs) so this is just the very beginning of my weight-loss journey. I am still trying to motivate myself to drive to the Y and workout. Some days I do Zumba, and other days I just use the equipment.

Edited to Add: I wanted to mention that Zumba is NOT a low-intensity workout. It can be very hard on your knees so you do need to be careful about your body positioning, etc. It's very bouncy as well, with jumping even, at least in my class.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok well I dunno if Zumba is in my blood :HistericalSmiley: :HistericalSmiley: :HistericalSmiley:

It came today, a day sooner than expected!! I can KINDA follow the steps when they break them down and do them real slow in the basics part of the DVD, but not when they put it all together and go real fast hahhaha.

And yeah I kinda know what you mean about the knees. I have a goofy knee that makes a clicking/tearing sorta sound when it's bent not when I extend it though, like when walking up steps or crouching down that sorta thing. So I had to be careful when I did those kinds of moves. It doesn't hurt at all, just doesn't sound good, so I don't want to do damage to it. So I was kinda babying the stuff when I had to bend down and put weight on my left knee. And I think I need better shoes, like more light weight, I was just using regular walking tennis shoes.

It was really frustrating trying to follow along, but the time did go fast (it was an hour) and it definitely got my heart rate up. I've done pilates videos in the past too and it took me a while to catch on to those moves too, so I'm hoping over time I will get better with it. But I definitely think this is something I'd be more apt to keeping up as opposed to other working out routines, I do agree they are rather boring...and this was rather fun.

·
Registered
450 Posts
I love Zumba!!!! I have the DVD's and go to a local dance studio for the classes. Start slow and work at your own pace. Good luck!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts