Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
20,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Poor Archie and i have been battling his ear ache problems for a few months now. They've changed the drops and antibiotics a few times.....nothing has worked.

So I took him back to the vet tonight because he's so darned uncomfortable I just can't stand it!!!!! :w00t:

They finally took a sample and looked under the microscope and realized it was a yeast infection instead of bacterial. :blink: He got a needle and the same ear drops that make him all greasy again. I sure hope it works this time around. :prayer:

This has been going on for way too long!!!!!!! :angry: grrrrrr....

Poor Arch.

·
Banned
1,869 Posts
Poor Archie and i have been battling his ear ache problems for a few months now. They've changed the drops and antibiotics a few times.....nothing has worked.

So I took him back to the vet tonight because he's so darned uncomfortable I just can't stand it!!!!! :w00t:

They finally took a sample and looked under the microscope and realized it was a yeast infection instead of bacterial. :blink: He got a needle and the same ear drops that make him all greasy again. I sure hope it works this time around. :prayer:

Poor Arch.
Is it Otomax?

That worked very well for our sweet Emily (Cocker) - can Archie can have yougart? I have no idea how or why this worked with sweet Emily - but once I started her on Yougart everyday - she never again, got a yeast infection (ear) - I hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
20,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, I have yogurt for the dogs...I will start giving it to him tomorrow!! Thanks for the tip!

·
Premium Member
8,521 Posts
I'm glad that finally found out why it wasn't clearing up, i just don't understand why it took so long for the vets to take a sample and look sooner. Hopefully Archie will be better soon. :grouphug:

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
I'm glad that finally found out why it wasn't clearing up, i just don't understand why it took so long for the vets to take a sample and look sooner. Hopefully Archie will be better soon. :grouphug:
I agree. That's the first thing they should have done.

Lady had a yucky ear a few months ago and my vet was booked that day so they told me just to swab her ear with a Qtip and bring it in to be tested.

·
Premium Member
6,469 Posts
Been there, done that Pat! Its so frustrating!!! Hunter and I dealt with it for 2 months and it took 3 times as long for him to be comfortable with me touching his ears again. I really hope that Archie gets better soon and that he's not upset with you for too long for "torturing" him :)

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
I am going nuts right now with Vanilla and her ear antibiotic. She's on antibiotics cause the groomer plucked the hairs from her ears and there was so much irritation she was shaking her head constantly. The vet has given me drop to prevent ear infection.
I am having a horrific:w00t: time trying to get these drops in. I DO NOT know what I am doing cause she won't stay still while I put them in. She jumps like a wild monkey as soon as she sees the bottle:blink::blink: !!! Oh and her ears are a greasy mess and so is the top of her head !
I really hope your sweet Archie's infection heals quickly !!!! I bet he's much more cooperative than Vanilla.

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
Any ear medication should go in your pocket to be warmed up before using it, ESPECIALLY anything kept in the fridge. A dab of peanut butter to lick while getting ear medicine can make all the difference.
Also, messing with ears when they do not hurt goes a long way towards a dog trusting you to mess with their ears when they do hurt. Be proactive - handle your dog's ears, face, mouth, toes, and belly every day!

·
Registered
7,915 Posts
Any ear medication should go in your pocket to be warmed up before using it, ESPECIALLY anything kept in the fridge. A dab of peanut butter to lick while getting ear medicine can make all the difference.
Also, messing with ears when they do not hurt goes a long way towards a dog trusting you to mess with their ears when they do hurt. Be proactive - handle your dog's ears, face, mouth, toes, and belly every day!

Oh Pat, praying for sweet Archie. Oh I pray they find the solution.

I know when Leo was having a problem with his left ear, the meds the gave us where to be refrigerated and our vet advised, just like Jackie, to let it sit out, to warm up a little. It's too much of a shock, coming straight out of the fridge. Doesn't feel good the them at all.

·
Registered
3,567 Posts

Poor Arch.
Is it Otomax?

That worked very well for our sweet Emily (Cocker) - can Archie can have yougart? I have no idea how or why this worked with sweet Emily - but once I started her on Yougart everyday - she never again, got a yeast infection (ear) - I hope this helps.
Pat, I'm so sorry to hear about poor Archie! Hope he's doing better very soon!
After returning from Italy Ullana started shaking her head and I checked her ears. Could see tiny dark spots in it and we went to the vet immediately.
She checked and said a yeast infection. Well, she got an antibiotic shot and eardrops, the Otomax Allie mentioned. It really worked very well, at home she stopped shaking her head and itching her ears.
I've given the drops for approx 10 days!

Sending hugs and a quick recovery for your little Archie!!! :wub:

Alexandra

·
Premium Member
20,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I don't understand either. :unsure:

poor baby i hope he gets better now. that must b uncomfortable.
I wonder why they didn't do that in the first place? Sorry Archie has to deal with that!
My poor dude has been suffering for way too long with this!

I agree. That's the first thing they should have done.

Lady had a yucky ear a few months ago and my vet was booked that day so they told me just to swab her ear with a Qtip and bring it in to be tested.
It was never mentioned to me, they just gave me the ear meds. then just changed the meds when I complained....I didn't even have to take him in the next time, they told me to come and pick it up.

Been there, done that Pat! Its so frustrating!!! Hunter and I dealt with it for 2 months and it took 3 times as long for him to be comfortable with me touching his ears again. I really hope that Archie gets better soon and that he's not upset with you for too long for "torturing" him :)
He's not mad at me...I keep telling him I'm trying my best to fix this problem. He's even lost is balance a few times!!!

I am going nuts right now with Vanilla and her ear antibiotic. She's on antibiotics cause the groomer plucked the hairs from her ears and there was so much irritation she was shaking her head constantly. The vet has given me drop to prevent ear infection.
I am having a horrific:w00t: time trying to get these drops in. I DO NOT know what I am doing cause she won't stay still while I put them in. She jumps like a wild monkey as soon as she sees the bottle:blink::blink: !!! Oh and her ears are a greasy mess and so is the top of her head !
I really hope your sweet Archie's infection heals quickly !!!! I bet he's much more cooperative than Vanilla.
Arch isn't too cooperative, but I do it so quickly it's over in a few seconds. Is there someone else in the house that can help you hold Vanilla? I hope she's feeling better soon.

Jackie, I feel so dump now....it never dawned on me to warm them up :blush: I thought it would ruin the bottle of drops if it got room temp. OMG! No wonder he didn't care for them!!!:w00t:

·
Premium Member
20,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Oh Pat, praying for sweet Archie. Oh I pray they find the solution.

I know when Leo was having a problem with his left ear, the meds the gave us where to be refrigerated and our vet advised, just like Jackie, to let it sit out, to warm up a little. It's too much of a shock, coming straight out of the fridge. Doesn't feel good the them at all.
next time i'll ask you guys first....:brownbag: I was afraid of it going bad...

Poor little guy. I bet the probiotics in the yogurt will help him a lot!
me too. I'll start him on yogurt today, thanks.

Pat, I'm so sorry to hear about poor Archie! Hope he's doing better very soon!
After returning from Italy Ullana started shaking her head and I checked her ears. Could see tiny dark spots in it and we went to the vet immediately.
She checked and said a yeast infection. Well, she got an antibiotic shot and eardrops, the Otomax Allie mentioned. It really worked very well, at home she stopped shaking her head and itching her ears.
I've given the drops for approx 10 days!

Sending hugs and a quick recovery for your little Archie!!! :wub:

Alexandra
Same thing here....two months later though. He got a shot yesterday and the vet said he should feel more comfortable in 24 hours...so now I can't wait until tonight. I think it's the Otomax, it's the one where his hair gets all greasy...yuk. But if it works this time around, it'll be worth it.

Poor baby!! I hope little Archie gets better, soon.:huh: Ear aches are no fun!:no2:
You got that right April. He is so uncomfortable. I'm holding my breath, crossing my fingers and whispering a prayer that he's better soon.

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
Oh poor little Archie man...Rocky has one too..what signs is he showing? Rocky just scratched a little bit and it smelled. I am giving him his first bath in two weeks today. Hoping I don't get water in his ears. That greasy ear drop is a pain isn't it? Praying for little Archie that it gets cleared up for good.

Poor Arch.

·
Registered
11,074 Posts
Oh my poor sweet Archie. I'm so sorry. This is beyond frustrating.

Just a couple of thoughts/suggestions. Yogurt only has on strain of probiotic. I would get a good Probiotics supplement that carrys as many of the strains of the Probiotic family as possible.

Also, I can't remember the name of the greasy ointment that some vets prescribe for ear infections, but when Zoe had a terrible ear infection after her dental, my groomer who is a vet tech put that in her ear and gave me some. My vet told me they don't like that product for many types of ear infections because it's so thick the ear can't drain properly. They had to really clean that ointment out so they could get the proper medicine to go where it needed to go.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts