Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We live right on the beach in Okinawa and our lab LOVES to swim every chance she gets. I was just curious if anyone has a malt that swims, or if it is common!?

·
Premium Member
3,223 Posts
Be careful with malts and swimming. They should always be attended. I have heard horror stories of Maltese drowning in pools. Also, if they are in long coat, sometimes the weight of the coat can pull them under.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, thanks!
I was going to add (but forgot) that I ALWAYS attend and keep a CLOSE eye on my dogs in the water. I usually swim w/ them! I treat them like I do my kids! I would NEVER leave them near water alone!

·
Premium Member
15,201 Posts
I live with CRAZY ABOUT SWIMMING Snowy, and "if Snowy can do it, so can I" Crystal who wont miss out the blast that she sees Snowy has when doing things like swimming and playing fetch that she didn't really think that it will be fun in the first place (then changed when trying them herself).

Maltese can swim. Some like it; others don't! My two LOVE it SO MUCH! If Snowy was in control, he will go swimming everyday.

I allow them to swim, while being supervised of course, more often in Summer season (once a week or once every 2 weeks). After their swim, they get a good wash in the tub and ears get cleaned and dried pretty good too.

Here is one of the swimming videos that I have of then in case you wanted to see the two *water maltese*

Kat

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I LOVED your video! Thank you SO much for posting it!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
10,733 Posts
Mine hate the water,only water they want is in their water bowl. Our cockers,German Shepherd and Dalmatian used to love the water. 2 of our malts are in full coat ,I let them try to swim once and they just about sank under all that hair,plus they hated it .

If you have a pool put an incline ramp with some sort of grips going across it for them to grab onto,near the steps or somewhere in shallow end of the pool. Dogs will tire easily and just give up and drown,so having an incline ramp will aid them in pulling themselves out of the pool should they fall in.

·
Registered
361 Posts
how do u know if ur malt can swim , is this like a natural thing?
I'm wondering that too!!...

... I loved the video!!!, it looks like your pups are having SO much fun!!!... were they swimming in cold water? they didn't get sick for that??, I think mine would catch a cold inmediatly...

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
If you want to see if your malt can swim, you can get a life vest for them and then go into the pool with them and see if they like it. I found that Jack & Jill can swim, but I'm not sure yet if they like it. I'm planning on swimming with them more often this summer.

·
Premium Member
6,469 Posts
how do u know if ur malt can swim , is this like a natural thing?
It might be unconventional but prior to ever putting Hunter in the swimming pool I filled out tub up really high and got in with him and held him with just his legs in the water. He started kicking right away and we worked on this skill all winter and spring.

When summer came we then put him in my in-laws pool.

omg how cool is that! can maltese swim w.o life jackets?
Hunter can swim without his life jacket but he is more stable with the life jacket and he appears more comfortable when he has it on. We tend to leave the jacket on him because he is allowed to run free in the yard and on the deck of my in-laws and while the pool is gated and he can't get to it, I want him to get used to wearing it since he has to wear it when we are in the boat as well.

·
Premium Member
2,019 Posts
How lucky Hunter is to have such devoted family--and obviously lots of fun! :biggrin: :wub:

(I'm still waiting for the video to download over my dialup connection--that sounds like fun, too. :) )

·
Premium Member
10,319 Posts
Both Hunter and Crystal & Snowy bring back such memories of them swimming. Love to see the pics.......they all look like they are having so much fun~~~~Your baby may love it too. Take pics and let us see how they do!!!!:wub:

·
Premium Member
15,201 Posts
I LOVED your video! Thank you SO much for posting it!!!!!!!!!
Glad that you liked it

I'm wondering that too!!...

... I loved the video!!!, it looks like your pups are having SO much fun!!!... were they swimming in cold water? they didn't get sick for that??, I think mine would catch a cold inmediatly...
Living where we live, we don't get that very cold weather that other places get. Winter season is beautiful; summer season is hot. Snowy&Crystal's grandma's pool is temperature controlled that suites both kids and malts:wub::wub: nop, water doesn't really get cold or hot - pool temperature is perfecto :thumbsup: and they both love it

I do think that dogs have the instinct to swim. If not all, most dogs (although I am more certain to all :p) ... Few incidents and stories I came across with other dogs. Snowy's story at 4 months of age is one example when he fell in the pool by accident (while we were there since he isn't allowed in the garden alone) and started swimming ... His story can be read *here* together with how I discovered that he is a swimming addict.

Kat

·
Premium Member
15,201 Posts
My dog is in a short coat and he always wears a life jacket around the pool

View attachment 86217

He likes to swim

View attachment 86216

But he really loves to float
View attachment 86218
Hunter, you rock in da pool and on da float :rockon:

omg how cool is that! can maltese swim w.o life jackets?
Snowy & Crystal swim without a life jacket in their pool .. They jump in and know exactly how to get out! They jump in when they want to (in "you are allowed to swim" days) and get out when they want to. I allow them to do what they love to do - nothing beats seeing them happy while being safe of course.

Kat

·
Registered
5,653 Posts
Hunter, you rock in da pool and on da float :rockon:

Snowy & Crystal swim without a life jacket in their pool .. They jump in and know exactly how to get out! They jump in when they want to (in "you are allowed to swim" days) and get out when they want to. I allow them to do what they love to do - nothing beats seeing them happy while being safe of course.

Kat

i read ur story about snowy jumping in the pool , and i saw the pic of him in the ocean n i cannot wait to get home to see the videos , youtube is blocked here at work , but that is amazing to me , too cute.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
I have one that HATES water and one that LOVES it! Bailey is the one that detests water in every form, rain, baths, and swimming. Sophie is only 5 months but she loves water! She knows where the bath tub is and cries to get in! She jumps around the tub splashing water everywhere. I think that I will put her in the pool this summer to see if she may like to swim. I'll have to find a lifejacket small enough to fit her :)

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
I want to get a little ramp for the spa and the pool, for when we start Poppy swimming. But, all I see are great big expensive ones. I just went out and measured, and the top step to the deck is one-foot exactly.

Does anyone know if anyone sells tiny ramps for toy breeds? Or, maybe a homemade one that we could make?

I had not even thought about the bath tub ... we have a big roman style tub ... I think we might just start taking him in there first!! I don't know why I didn't think of that. LOL

HUGz! Jules

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
Sure they can! When I let a dog swim at the ocean, lake, or river, they wear a harness with a long-line attached for safety. My 2 year old hops in the river any chance he gets. Soda, as he has gotten older, sticks to the hot tub LOL

1 - 20 of 34 Posts