Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the type of bowl or plate they eat out of? I have two really cute ceramic bowls I bought for them. They won't eat out of it. They like their food, but would eat it if I hand fed them. Well that lasted about two days. I started to put some of the food on the floor (I am not a bad mommy, I just wanted to check to see if they would be attracted to the food). They gobbled it up. I tried to get them to eat from the bowl and they wouldn't eat. I then used a small plate I had and they eat up quickly. I think they like to smash up the food on a flat service.

Are your malts picky about anything?

·
Premium Member
8,521 Posts
my malts don't like to eat out of regular dog food bowls even if they are small, the sides are just too high to them i think. i feed my fluffs out of catfood bowls, they are nice and shallow and the kids do much better with them.

·
Premium Member
24,028 Posts
Picky about anything? Sometimes it seems about everything.:HistericalSmiley: Tyler's a pretty picky eater and will easily turn his nose up to some foods. That's probably his worst pickyism. I can't even tell sometimes what he'll go for but we're really moving towards home cooking. (sigh)

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
London will eat out of just about anything, but we had the same problem you are having with Preston. He hates eating out of bowls or plates even. He will now eat out of a bowl after months of being firm, but I have to put a couple of pieces of kibble on the floor next to the bowl to entice him to eat from it. lol

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
Bisou is very picky about her food...even when I homecook for her.

One day she'll like something and the next she'll refuse to eat it. She also turns her nose up at salmon- Is that normal? She does love (or thinks she'll love) whatever we're eating..so with her food sometimes I pretend like I"m eating it first so she'll be interested. Sometimes that works, and sometimes it doesn't.

for bowls, I use regular human ones for her.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Both of my dogs will eat seemingly anything under any circumstances I think, as long as they eat!! Doesn"t matter which bowl or plate. I usually use stainless bowls, small ones, but if they are in the dishwasher, I might use a plate. No prob!!
Last night I gave them each a piece of avocado, very uncommon treat. Samantha put hers down on the floor to further examine it & the greedy Cookie swallowed hers quickly, then ran over & stole Sam's piece! So fast. She knew it was wrong & groveled to the floor when I said no. I told her to go to her room & gave Sam another piece.
No pickiness here.
I think you are a good Mommy for trying your best to make sure your baby eats right.

·
Premium Member
10,201 Posts
Both of my dogs will eat seemingly anything under any circumstances I think, as long as they eat!! Doesn"t matter which bowl or plate. I usually use stainless bowls, small ones, but if they are in the dishwasher, I might use a plate. No prob!!
Last night I gave them each a piece of avocado, very uncommon treat. Samantha put hers down on the floor to further examine it & the greedy Cookie swallowed hers quickly, then ran over & stole Sam's piece! So fast. She knew it was wrong & groveled to the floor when I said no. I told her to go to her room & gave Sam another piece.
No pickiness here.
I think you are a good Mommy for trying your best to make sure your baby eats right.
You told her to go to her room? LOL

I don't think that would work with Snowball. He thinks the whole house is his castle! :HistericalSmiley:

·
Premium Member
10,201 Posts
Snowball eats out of little cat ceramic bowls. They are cute. Oh, and he has two little blue heart shaped ceramic cat dishes that say ... *Prince* ... I usually use those two for little treats.

These little oval shaped dishes/bowls work perfectly for Snowball.

He used to be fussy eating ... but, he's pretty much on a schedule for eating his meals now. And, he does not have tons of treats in-between. We use the treats more for training. He LOVES the Bellyrubs organic all natural freeze dried beef and/or lamb liver treats ... great for training! But, we will give him little bits of fruits and veggies as treats, too.

·
Registered
5,653 Posts
i use stainless steel little dog bowls but honestly we have never used anythingelse but dolce is weird , when i say he takes long is because he eats one kibble at a time on his bed.. he takes it from the bowl to his bed , one at a time.. lol isnt that crazy ?

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i use stainless steel little dog bowls but honestly we have never used anythingelse but dolce is weird , when i say he takes long is because he eats one kibble at a time on his bed.. he takes it from the bowl to his bed , one at a time.. lol isnt that crazy ?
Not crazy, he is savoring each piece! How cute!

·
Registered
847 Posts
Leila will only eat off something flat, too. Sometimes I'll just put a handful of kibble on the floor and she'll go for it. I recently starting using a cat dish with really short sides which she'll tolerate, and then I don't have a random pile of food on the floor..lol

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
this made me laugh because i discovered the same pickiness with my first maltese. so i now use the flat, little sushi plates for soy sauce and wasabi for feeding. they gobble up their food in that.

in fact, they gobble it up so quickly getting ear hair and facial hair chewed up was getting to be a regular problem in our house. so i now have their bowls stacked 5 high and i put baby bids on them before eating. its working really well, thankfully!

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
So long as it's food, my dogs will eat it ... off the floor, on a plate, in a bowl, even off each others faces if a piece got stuck! I use small oval porcelain cat dishes for the dogs. Puppies start eating off of flat plastic children's sandwich plates and graduate to bowls as they get separated from their mom and each other.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Mine will eat out of bowls or off the floor, they don't care.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
London will eat out of just about anything, but we had the same problem you are having with Preston. He hates eating out of bowls or plates even. He will now eat out of a bowl after months of being firm, but I have to put a couple of pieces of kibble on the floor next to the bowl to entice him to eat from it. lol
That is exactlly what I have to do. I have to put a few kibbles next to her food bowl and she eats it from the mat ,

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Jack & Jill will eat out of ANYTHING!!! I never thought about the difficulties of having pups that were picky about that. They are such little characters!

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
They are such little individuals...some eat like all the food on the planet is disappearing...and then ones like my Pepper eat slowly, meticulousy, and one single piece at a time. LOL!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts