Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ari is looking like the Lorax. Any suggestions or ideas. She has a orange tinge to her face. Is it food? Is is water? Is it teething?
20210202_160855.jpg
20210202_160855.jpg
20201228_153044.jpg
20210206_202708.jpg
20210202_160855.jpg
20201228_153044.jpg

·
Premium Member
5,666 Posts
Omgosh Deb...she is the the cutest! I went thru this with Ling Ling. For Ling, it was totally her teething. I would use a clarifying shampoo and then a whitening shampoo and leave it on for 5-10 minutes and rinse well. I also carefully dusted with a eyeshadow brush with boric acid and cornstarch mixed up. BA will help any infection and cornstarch makes it appear lighter. I had to do this until she was done teething. This is Ling face after a few times of treating her. It was like your Aria’s face to start. Everyone used to think I put blush on her face, lol.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Aww thanks. She's 9 months so still teething. What is the mix of boric and cornstarch? Ling Ling is so beautiful!

·
Premium Member
5,666 Posts
Aww thanks. She's 9 months so still teething. What is the mix of boric and cornstarch? Ling Ling is so beautiful!
It certainly looks like teething.
I did 50/50. It works. My neighbor who specialized in poodle grooming and used to show gave me that tip. I just bought cheap BA. Just careful around the eyes, dust with brush and work in with fingers.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello, my Coco is 10 year old and even as a puppy she didn't have red discoloration. It's been a while now that she has red color around her faca and on her legs as well. Nothing changed re food or water, her behavior is same. Any tip please ? Its really warred me. Thanks so much in advance. Tamara

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It certainly looks like teething.
I did 50/50. It works. My neighbor who specialized in poodle grooming and used to show gave me that tip. I just bought cheap BA. Just careful around the eyes, dust with brush and work in with fingers. View attachment 275354
Would you put it in her whiskers too? Is it harmful if injested or gets in eyes?

·
Super Moderator
Walter & Casper with Lucky (forever in my heart).
9,837 Posts
I agree she is so cute. Sorry I can't help, never had issues with staining.

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm going to order some now. You used and eye shadow brush. One with bristles or a sponge one?

·
Premium Member
Sandi-- w/Kitzel (Kitzi) & Lisel (Lisi)
17,703 Posts
JFYI: many breeders use potato starch instead of cornstarch as apparently it does not cake as badly. You don't want something gathering on the skin to irritate it further.

Reactions: Dstevens

·
Premium Member
5,666 Posts
JFYI: many breeders use potato starch instead of cornstarch as apparently it does not cake as badly. You don't want something gathering on the skin to irritate it further.
I never had a problem with cornstarch caking and used it for months.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Hi, Looks like there is staining from food or water on the lower part of her face. My breeder swears by ph 8 water. I have a simple ph tester and mix bottled water and tap water to get the right number. I'm on my third fluff and I really tortured the first one (which I regret..lol). Just wash her face with gentle shampoo and keep it as dry as possible. Try the ph 8 water. She'll outgrow teething.

·
Registered
~ Angie w/ fur babies Bailey & Pickles
33 Posts
I think it means water with a ph level of 8.

Found this online:

Normal drinking water generally has a neutral pH of 7. Alkaline water typically has a pH of 8 or 9.

Type of water: pH level
Bottled waters labeled as alkaline: 8 to 9
Tap water: Varies; typically about 7.5
Distilled reverse osmosis water: 5 to 7

·
Registered
4,397 Posts
Thank you for sharing this info, Angie. I'm wondering if a dog should only be on the alkaline water for a short period or if they can be kept on it long-term.

·
Premium Member
Paulann & Abella
1,222 Posts
Stained face or not Lorax is so very cute! Love all the pictures.
I do remember going through the dreaded tear stains with Abella. I tried everything, Angel Eyes, Blueberry Spa Was, Cornstarch with the boric acid, and even peroxide, food additives....
I'm not sure how much of it she outgrew but today she doesn't have any tear staining. I give her bottled spring water and she uses a water bottle this keeps her face dry. She gets her face brushed daily and her eyes cleaned with Bausch & Lomb Eye Relief Eye Wash (a couple drops in each eye) then I use a clean wash cloth to get out any degree/****. However, from what I've read their are lots of different causes and cures - No one treatment works for all. I definitely would make sure you keep his face clean and dry at all times. It should get better when he is through teething toLooking forward to an update as to what works for you.
🐶 🐾🌷

Reactions: zooeysmom
1 - 20 of 25 Posts