Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took some pictures last night (Tuesday, 11/29). He's really adorable, but incredible hard work. I kept asking myself, was it this hard with Paris? I'm going to be honest in this post and spelling out the good, bad, and the ugly with getting a second puppy for everyone. Keep in mind that other experiences may vary, but I felt that it was important to give a first-hand look at the challenges to help others decide if they are looking for a second puppy.

Paris is from an AMA breeder in CA. If you recall BrittnyLot(sp?), another SM user, her little female Maltese and my Paris are littermates. I visited the breeder's home at 9 weeks, went back at 11 weeks, and brought him home by car at 12 weeks. I was unemployed at the time since we were preparing for our move from CA to FL, so I had lots of time to spend with Paris and ensure that he receives all the attention and training. We drove all the way from CA to FL (extended stops in New Orleans & Pensacola to visit friends). He was peeing/pooping everywhere. He had a baby playpen by Graco that we set up for him to sleep and be confined when he could not be supervised. Didn't whine very much (that I remember). When we finally arrived at our destination-Panama City-we could not find anywhere to live and were on a wait-list to move into our new apartment. We ended up living at Days Inn (no dogs policy ~ yikes ~ but we had no choice as it was a heavy season with many military families holed up in many of the hotels here). This is when our potty training became fruitful. He finally got it.

So Paris is now 1 year and 8 months old. We felt that he is well-trained and we could take on another puppy so Paris wouldn't have to be the lone dog. Charmypoo recommended a breeder while I was considering others, and I decided to go with her breeder after about 2+ weeks. Aries price was very fair, and he had a good lineage. As you know, my wait was over when I received my puppy this past weekend.

When Aries arrived, he (no fault of the breeder) smelled like poo/pee because of the long plane ride. When you ship a puppy, they don't go directly from point a to point b. They are actually routed to different hubs then to their final destination. So from WV to FL, he traveled to Cincinatti, and Atlanta. Poor little guy. If I had to do it all over again, I would probably drive up there and pick him up myself. But he wasn't hurt or anything, so that's good. Even though he smelled terrible and had dirty dirty fur/paws, I still picked him up out of the kennel and held him close to my chest during the ride home. My husband was driving and I just spoke softly to the puppy and vowing to take care of him until the end of his days. I know that, scientifically, they do not understand human language, but I hoped that my emotion, tone & love somehow got through to him. I think it did because he let out a sigh in my arms and I felt his body relaxing in my arms.

At home, first thing was a bath. Took out my CC products and washed him off really carefully in the kitchen sink. He looked BEAUTIFUL after the bath. I noticed how straight his coat was, even when wet, and how easily his coat dried by blow drying. I handed him off to daddy (husband) so they can bond a little bit and I jumped in the shower to freshen up. We introduced the two boys (Paris and Aries) and Paris gave us this look that said "traitors" and went under the couch.
We know he'd come around later, but that sure sucked for the first meeting. I had made a little enclosed area next to my side of the bed (we took the bed off the bedframe and let the spring box sit directly on the floor (closer to the kids & no room under the bed to pee / poop
) There was plush bedding I put down for him, toys and the pish pad). That's where we were going to let him sleep at night until he is potty trained. Then we'd allow him on the bed like Paris. He was really tired so we all went to bed early. No problems.

Next day, Daddy took Aries to the vet. Got 12 months supply of sentinel and a bottle of the spray frontline. Good heart, good knees, and no shots right now. Next appointment is on 12/9? (daddy knows the specific date) for the fourth shot. Our base vet doesn't charge for inspections, so we were only charged for the preventatives we bought. YES!

Since the first night, he and Paris have gotten a little used to each other and mainly it's just Aries trying to play with Paris, and Paris giving him the growl when he is a little too rough. They eat each other's food instead of their own, but only if I wasn't looking. Aries still leaves me little surprises (found some logs next to Paris' food bowl- how rude right?
). I know in my heart that he would eventually use the pish pads like Paris has begun to, but I just get this look (
) on my face when I find a wet puddle or poop. He cries LOUDLY when we are sleeping because he wants to be with us. I am so tired because I stay up during the night comforting him. Last night I just gave him and brought him upon the bed at 4am. I know that is going to be my downfall there
and shouldn't have gave in...

But no peepee in bed! Great! But there was pee pee spots on the carpet. Oh well... my fault. I left the boys some food (they have water constantly from the drinkwell fountain) and went off to work. Hubby will be home at 11:30 and I will be home at 12 noon to check on them. thank goodness i only work 5 mins away from home. Then after that 1 hour lunch, I will leave them to return at 5pm.

GOOD LORD! I am blabbing on and on! Ok, wrapping up- I wish I can take off work for 1 month to train and develope Aries. I wish I could've drove up instead of flying him. I get very little sleep now because of the new puppy. All things to consider when you're getting a puppy and even more so if the puppy will be a second one.

Time for the pictures. Sorry for such a long post. If it's negative sounding, I'm not. Brain's just exhausted.

MORE STUFF FROM ME

OOOH, we're receiving the stroller we ordered today. More pix later! But here is where we bought the stroller and it's the cheapest we've seen + NO SHIPPING & NO TAX. Brand new!

EBAY SELLER

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
WOW!! LOTS OF WORK HUH??????

I wanted another puppy maybe 1 month into getting Chulita because I just felt HORRIBLE the first few weeks at work leaving her home alone while we were all at work/school. Chulita always slepted in her crate. That's how the breeder had her trained. So her first night at home was a Breeze...whined just a tiny bit because the breeder said the she use to sleep with her brother in that same crate...and then it was over, she also was able to go the entire night without needing to go to the bathroom since the first night and I got her at just about 12 weeks. Thank Goodness the breeder did that part for me. LOL!! So nights were never a issue with us. I think that was why I was quick to want another one. I don't think I will be getting another one anytime soon...because of my husband but if I do I think I will go to the same breeder where I got her from.

Well at the end of it all......IT WILL BE ALLLLLLLLLLLL WORTH IT.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Thanks for sharing your experience. I think I want one, but in my heart I know it would be too much. Just wanted to let you know you got a fantastic deal on the stroller (I sneaked a peak). Hope you like it as well as Belle and I do. Good luck with your new baby. He is adorable.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
When we got Chelsey . They got along just like your two. the first night she wined as well. so the second night we set up the pay pen and let them sleep together. I slept downstairs to keep one eye open. but they did so well. no issues at all. then every night for two or three weeks they slept in the play pen together. After that .. I separated them in to there own crates and put the crates close to each other. Chelsey did not wine again unless she had to go to the bath room... but of course she would go to the bath room first then wine for us to come an clean it up... but she would sleep until 8-00 pm... But of course Chester still gets up at 5:00 am even now... Why , Why.

·
Registered
7,621 Posts
Awww!! Those pictures are just great! You have yourself two little cuties there.

And your post didn't sound negative....just a little overwhelmed. But you seem to have a handle on it.

Again, congratulations and good luck.

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
Adorable! All will be worth it in the end.but Your post will give those thinking of getting a pup, a frank look at how things will be for awhile.Keep pluging away,those puppy kisses are worth it

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Hang in there girl
, this stage will be over without you noticing.
About sleep depravation, i know what you are talking about. Nacho is always been an angel, he is sooo well behaved at night. BUT my daughter, that`s another story... i haven`t had a good night sleep in exactly 3 years

But believe me, you get used to it, sleeping less, lots of more work, less independence, etc. The reward is to look at those fluffy faces everyday and the unconditional love the bring to our lives.
Aries is gorgeous, congratulations again for such a good choice!

I forgot to ask... his coat is as wonderful as it looks on the pictures? He looks so soft and with so much hair.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hang in there girl
, this stage will be over without you noticing.
About sleep depravation, i know what you are talking about. Nacho is always been an angel, he is sooo well behaved at night. BUT my daughter, that`s another story... i haven`t had a good night sleep in exactly 3 years

But believe me, you get used to it, sleeping less, lots of more work, less independence, etc. The reward is to look at those fluffy faces everyday and the unconditional love the bring to our lives.
Aries is gorgeous, congratulations again for such a good choice!

I forgot to ask... his coat is as wonderful as it looks on the pictures? He looks so soft and with so much hair.[/B]
Oh yeah. his coat is magnificent! I hope his adult coat will be just as nice

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Those are great pics
All of the sleepless puppy nights are going to be soooo worth it! Congrats again! Aries and Paris make a beautiful pair

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
Thank you so much for your newsy post. I've been wondering how things were going. I don't think you sound negative. Its going to take some time, but if Paris isn't snarling and snapping, then thats a very good sign. Both dogs looks really cute in the photos. I hope the sleep thing will settle down really soon. Have you considered a small crate, right by the bed, that you could stick your fingers in when he cries? I'll be a month from now things will be great and you'll be telling everyone that they need a 2nd dog!

·
Registered
4,856 Posts
Cute pictures...look at it this way...you will be prepared if/or when you decide to have skin kids.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you so much for your newsy post. I've been wondering how things were going. I don't think you sound negative. Its going to take some time, but if Paris isn't snarling and snapping, then thats a very good sign. Both dogs looks really cute in the photos. I hope the sleep thing will settle down really soon. Have you considered a small crate, right by the bed, that you could stick your fingers in when he cries? I'll be a month from now things will be great and you'll be telling everyone that they need a 2nd dog![/B]
Oh yeah. we've tried the small crate. Not helping...

I took an extended lunch and just got back. He missed me! I love my little guys.

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
I remeber when we first got Ruby and after the 3rd or 4th day I was having the puppy-blues, thinking "what the heck have I gotten myself into?!". But that soon went away, I would try putting him in the crate at night with a towel or blanket totally covering it, that worked wonders for us (maybe throw in a shirt or something with your scent on it). Ruby is in her crate on a wicker trunk, so that she's level with our bed. As for the pish pads, I suggest getting the potty spray stuff to spray on the pad to attract him to it. He'll get the concept quick, especially with Paris' help!!
By the way, Aries is adorable...and of course Paris too!!

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Your babies are adorable. I really appreciate your honesty -- since I for one have forgotten the puppy troubles. The temptation of getting a cute little bundle of fluff is great but I appreciate being reminded of the work and effort it takes to train a puppy. I am definitely delaying getting another one till I have more time. Aries is truly adorable !!!

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
You didn't sound negative at all...just overwhelmed like me!

Thank goodness Brink is a GREAT dog and for the most part is VERY well behaved (unless company comes over
) and he is 99.5% potty trained! If he was not...I could not handle a puppy right now either.

I do agree that the timing issue for me has been different this time.
I got Brink in the summer, so had several weeks to train/adjust before leaving him all day.
In two more weeks, I will have two full weeks with Neyland...so hopefully we can get some structure and some consistent training in at that time.

As far as the night time goes...
Brink slept with us from day one. The first few nights he woke me up with kisses and pounces to potty and then he started sleeping through the night and got up as soon as he heard the alarm to potty. He was very easy. No sleep deprivation...

Neyland is (as some suggested above) in a crate that I put on top of a rubbbermaid tub so that he is even with my bed. When he whines I put my fingers in there and tell him "Shhhh"....Sometimes he is more persistent...but after a few minutes you can hear him give up and settle in.
He has been with us four nights so far.

Night one in the hotel...we got up four times.

First night at the house...He slept all night! I woke up in a panic at 4:15 am b/c I had not heard him. I woke him up on purpose...ha ha...

The last two nights he has gotten me up about 2:00 or so to potty and then back to his crate. He wakes up when he hears the alarm at 5:00 too and whines for me to get him out.

I think the Lord has blessed me with skin kids and pets that sleep through the night b/c He knows that I cannot function appropriately w/out sufficient sleep. Nobody would want to be around me for long...including my pets.

Anyway, I hope that your routine settles in and that you start to feel less stressed and overwhelmed as the days pass. I will pray for you...you pray for me!

Thanks again for sharing...
He is a beauty...
Congrats and good luck.
Feel free to pm me and we will share overwhelming stories so the others don't think we are nuts.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Feel free to pm me and we will share overwhelming stories so the others don't think we are nuts.
[/B]
Oh nooo, please share all the puppy madness with us. I can only speak for myself but i have enjoyed the past 2 days reading about Neyland and Aries

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
[/B]
Oh nooo, please share all the puppy madness with us. I can only speak for myself but i have enjoyed the past 2 days reading about Neyland and Aries

[/B]

I am afraid some might take my venting and frustrations the wrong way.
I KNOW what I was getting myself into...and I don't regret it for a minute...which HELPS some of the frustrations...but I don't want people to think I am ignorant or that I don't love/adore my little fluff butt.

It is kinda like when my daughter had colic.
We couldn't help it...it was a fact of life...we knew it would pass...I adored her to the ends of the earth as she screamed her head off uncontrollably for hours at a time and projectile vomited anything that she drank for the first six months
....but none of that changed the fact that at times I was ready to
....and I also got a better understanding of why new mothers resorted to child abuse when they themselves were NOT well equipped emotionally/mentally...or were without an appropriate support system...I didn't condone it...but I sure understood it better after surviving colic.

I am rambling...I need to go to bed...

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Traci & everyone,

Thanks for the encouragements. Good news. Since we let him sleep with us on the bed, I've had a good night sleep. I mean, I slept from 11pm to 8am! We have a hard shell suitcase that we've laid on its side, put some blankies on top. Since we've removed the bedframe, the box sits on the floor and is significantly lower. The kids climb on the suitcase and then on the mattress. We did this so Paris can go to potty if needed at night.

This morning, I woke up and I witnessed a Potty session by Aries. He was bunched up with butt-hole pointing RIGHT ON THE PISH PAD. I held my breath in excitement and anticipation. Is he really doing this? I wondered... THEN out comes a hard turd. I was so happy! I didn't have any treats on hand so I gave him a piece of Paris' food (venison & brown rice- Natural Balance) which he gobbled up.

I left the turd there to show hubby when he got up, but he wasn't as impressed as I was. He was happy, but wondered why I had let the turd sit there instead of flushed down the toilet.

I checked our bed- no pee spots. Found one on the carpet though. Cleaned that up and got dressed for work.

I wonder why he goes to the pishpad to poop, but not pee?

[/B]

[/B]
You have? Thank you darlin'. Sometimes I wonder if this is annoying...lol

I forgot to add that the boys now get along fine. They even sleep together between Hubby and I. I think I saw Paris "spooning" Aries. But it could've been a bunched up corner of my comforter - guess we'll never know.

I wear contacts: -5.0 (L), -4.75®.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts